Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Players get older.
Players pick up significantly injuries.
Other teams have more money both for transfer business and salaries.
Other teams improve too

Which one of these would you say are unreasonable?

We brought in youth and inexperience. Average age is now 4 years longer. Sell to buy financial model.

And we want fourth?

Hmmm
As do any player from other teams. Oh tell me again what team just won the league.

50 points having spent a kings fortune will get any new manager a kick up the arse. Sorry, the rules have changed. Martinez is now suffering due to the new era of entitlement, his successor will get it worse if they don't get near Martinez's best.
anyway Dave, you comin to Sunderland? or the Norwich game? .........thought not

A balanced squad that is able to maintain a minimum level of performance. I'm all for blooding younger players but it can't be used as an excuse for under performance. If that were true the first season would have been a write off. Instead as Barkley Lukaku Stones have got more experienced the performance levels have dropped. It's not just a young player dip, the young players are some of our better players. The issues of consistency and minimum levels of acceptable performance go right throughout the squad which is why I don't accept this myth of the never ending youth project.
His first season had a blend of experienced players playing well together with enigmatic, raw prospects. Pienaar, Osman, Distin, Howard, Coleman, Baines all unhampered by injury and playing very well.
Not being an arse, surely you spot the difference?

You're blaming him for Distin and Howard getting older? Pienaar and Osman too? Baines being plagued with ankle injuries?
Or do you wish we'd kept Anichebe, Jelavic and Fellaini?
Whoever came in, those players would have needed replacing as they were older and/or wanted to leave for a host of reasons but primarily because their weren't very good.

What exactly did he inherit other than a flogged horse that the previous management bled dry. Fantastic work but major surgery was needed on the same financial as Moyes - sell to buy.
My issue the players he has at his disposal are not being played to their strengths. Jags, Baines and Coleman are not ball playing defenders but he tries to get them to play that way. This is one of the reasons to me we are in this position.
I also agree players needed replacing and he has done it with better players to an extent which makes it even more baffling as to how far backwards we have gone.
The only conclusion I can come to is it's the style that is proving problematic. I'll put my neck on the line now and say if Pep thinks he can do this with City next season then they will struggle.

Did Frank Clarke do it again?
Did George Burley do it again?
Did Brendan Rodgers do it again?
Did Mike Walker do it again?
Did John Gregory do it again?
Did David O'Leary do it again?
Did Brian Little do it again?
Did Gianluca Vialli do it again?
Did Ruud Gullit do it again?
Any chance @davek ?

Unreal mate.

They have a sniff of a billionaires wallet and start to believe they're entitled to a title and to abuse a good man and manager...who most of them were singing the praises of after his first season.

Zero consistency or credibility. It's appalling.
Unfortunately Martinez wasn't only here for one season. It's season 2 and season 3 that has turned out to have been less than mediocre.

My issue the players he has at his disposal are not being played to their strengths. Jags, Baines and Coleman are not ball playing defenders but he tries to get them to play that way. This is one of the reasons to me we are in this position.
I also agree players needed replacing and he has done it with better players to an extent which makes it even more baffling as to how far backwards we have gone.
The only conclusion I can come to is it's the style that is proving problematic. I'll put my neck on the line now and say if Pep thinks he can do this with City next season then they will struggle.
But mate, we've got Howard, Distin, Baines, Coleman, Pienaar, Osman who have shown regression in their appearance rate or their ability after season one. Where does Martinez find the money to buy proven replacements without selling?

Edit- no idea why I wrote Lukaku!!!

On the purely academic point of Martinez being given large sums to spend, it has to be remembered that bringing a player in is a two way process. The player has to have faith in the abilities of the manager, what he'll do for his career, and the likelihood of success.

One of the reasons for Martinez's departure is the lack of faith in his ability to attract the highest talent, and retain existing talent. Such has been the fall out between manager and players this season that there is no confidence he can do this.

Added to the other shortfalls in his managerial capability there is no reason to keep him at a club that has the full intent of succeeding in the future.

The point about player retention is spot on.

To Martinez's credit, he was able to atract lukaku, Stones was actually a Moyes buy.

But what worries Evertonians, is having arguably the best group of young players we have had in years and seeing them all leave to realise their potential elsewhere.

In the past we accepted it through gritted teeth.

We want to retain our best players. Before the season is over, the media talk like it is a fact that Stones and Lukaku will be off. Both players are on long term contracts.

Evertonians, rightly or wrongly, have decided that there is greater chance of retaining our top young players with a new manager.

Given the choice between retaining Stones and Lukaku or giving Martinez more time, I know what most Evertonians would back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back