Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll need to go through about five managers in ten years. There will be loads of disruption. I hope your prepared for it. Or maybe you think getting success is as easy as getting rid of one manager and handing his successor more cash?

This club has entered a new era of instability.
Dave I admire your dogged defence of Bobby, I really do. I was certain he'd deliver, I really wanted to believe, but I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.
Let's be honest, it's broken, he's clearly lost the fans and we are led to believe he's lost the players. It's easier and cheaper to just draw a line under it and start again.
You seem to be the only one that believes he'll come good, but when? after a great first season he's gone backwards, so much so that we only ensured safety at the weekend with a couple of games to go, not progress in most people's eyes.
Maybe it will take a few more years, maybe it will take a couple more managers, but if stability to you means we just float along for the next twenty or so years, sit in no mans land and get to the odd semi final then I don't see the point.
So come on, hold my hand, we'll admit we were wrong about Bobby and walk into the light together, the pain will stop, I promise

His first season had a blend of experienced players playing well together with enigmatic, raw prospects. Pienaar, Osman, Distin, Howard, Coleman, Baines all unhampered by injury and playing very well.
Not being an arse, surely you spot the difference?

From when he's come in he's had 6 transfer windows to sort this out. It wasn't a mystery that some of these players needed replacing. It was glaringly obvious after his second season that a new keeper and creative mid was essential. He got neither. I'm sorry, after three seasons any problems with the squad are of his own making.

A summary of your point 'Moyes left behind some very good senior players that Martinez has been unable to adequately replace in 6 transfer windows'. Not good enough.

yes... it really does

biglebowski-12.jpg

50 points having spent a kings fortune will get any new manager a kick up the arse. Sorry, the rules have changed. Martinez is now suffering due to the new era of entitlement, his successor will get it worse if they don't get near Martinez's best.
Mate, look. Everyone here's said that top 7 was achievable with the personnel we have and it's where we should've been. Anything on top is a bonus.

I like how you're pulling stuff out of your ass that people have said we have to be champions or something, which absolutely no one ever has said.

Let's put pictures here, as you take words for whatever you like and just keep nitpicking (still not in any way addressed that he's done worse as seasons go by).
Roberto-Martinez-Everton-Record-600x480.jpg

Looks pretty decent, doesn't it? Yeah, except most of those wins (nearly half) are from his first season. In 2 seasons he's failed to even reach close to his first, let alone improve in any way. He signed the same players from the first season, failed to address defensive frailties and just kept the same squad. It wasn't that he didn't have money, he just didn't sign anyone (RB, CB, CM, AM all lacking). Refusal to play with 2 wingers up until the last 2 games was also a glaring thing.

And because you'll pick on one word from that:
13118942_984862984934315_3877572035429578258_n.jpg

Care to defend this somehow?

50 points having spent a kings fortune will get any new manager a kick up the arse. Sorry, the rules have changed. Martinez is now suffering due to the new era of entitlement, his successor will get it worse if they don't get near Martinez's best.

What would your opinion be of the new manager coming in and getting 71 points and winning the premiership.

Also, as you love it so much - "mark my words" that a new manager will come in and won't spend a fortune on new players, unless it's Mourinho (which is kind of doubtful).

And will get better than potentially 13th.

Agreed mate but I just think there are far more mitigating factors than "he's a bad manager".

Would Jose Mou done a better job? Probably. But this is the same Jose who shows no faith in youth and had a star studded Chelsea side languishing early season. Is he a bad manager? Of course not. Is he better than RM? Of course he is. But Jose has had money to invest in winners. When has Martinez had that?

With the exception of the heralded Leicester, no one gets top 4 or anywhere near without spending
buckets. So why would RM be any different?

Moyes Everton 4th

Martinez is suffering from his own ineptitude. Nothing more, nothing less.

Trying to dress up his demise being the result of a new found sense of entitlement amongst Evertonians is both insulting and laughable in equal measure.

We've put up with 2 seasons of regression and there's no signs of him being capable of turning it around. He's patently lost the dressing room and he's also now lost the fanbase. With or without Moshiri we'd be calling for his head at this point.

He deserved the boot for the derby alone......which reminds me.....the derby :coffee:

Mate, look. Everyone here's said that top 7 was achievable with the personnel we have and it's where we should've been. Anything on top is a bonus.

I like how you're pulling stuff out of your ass that people have said we have to be champions or something, which absolutely no one ever has said.

Let's put pictures here, as you take words for whatever you like and just keep nitpicking (still not in any way addressed that he's done worse as seasons go by).
Roberto-Martinez-Everton-Record-600x480.jpg

Looks pretty decent, doesn't it? Yeah, except most of those wins (nearly half) are from his first season. In 2 seasons he's failed to even reach close to his first, let alone improve in any way. He signed the same players from the first season, failed to address defensive frailties and just kept the same squad. It wasn't that he didn't have money, he just didn't sign anyone (RB, CB, CM, AM all lacking). Refusal to play with 2 wingers up until the last 2 games was also a glaring thing.

And because you'll pick on one word from that:
13118942_984862984934315_3877572035429578258_n.jpg

Care to defend this somehow?

72 points... away form... bad geordie fans at goodison etc

But mate, we've got Howard, Distin, Baines, Coleman, Pienaar, Osman who have shown regression in their appearance rate or their ability after season one. Where does Martinez find the money to buy proven replacements without selling?

Edit- no idea why I wrote Lukaku!!!
Distin and Pienaar I'd agree but the others are still good players, I just don't believe they fit this system. That's not their fault.
At the end of the day we have the players to win more than we have done.

Agreed mate but I just think there are far more mitigating factors than "he's a bad manager".

Would Jose Mou done a better job? Probably. But this is the same Jose who shows no faith in youth and had a star studded Chelsea side languishing early season. Is he a bad manager? Of course not. Is he better than RM? Of course he is. But Jose has had money to invest in winners. When has Martinez had that?

With the exception of the heralded Leicester, no one gets top 4 or anywhere near without spending buckets. So why would RM be any different?
Since when did it become about top 4 we are 11th. We were 11th last year. People don't expect miracles hence Moyes lasted 11 years but they expect signs that the club is moving in the right direction, that the manager is capable of motivating the players, that he is aware of the problems and willing to adapt to be successful. The current manager is showing none of this hence the unrest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back