Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im glad all the lads had a lovely day out at the races today.

Hope Roberto backed a few winners.

I don't think he has the control or respect to drag him off though, that's the problem. I think he has lost the respect of the players and that is a very hard place to be.

As for Lukaku I actually thought Wembley was his best game in 6 weeks. He could have scored 4-5 but for another day. He has been coasting for a while relying on his goal scoring abilities to bail out a lack of effort. People forgave lack of effort while he was scoring but as soon as the goals dry up people become aware of it. I think his behaviour over the last 6 weeks has been absolutely disgraceful and unlike Stones would be very happy to see him sold for 50 million+ in the summer.

I thought the amount of guilt edge chances he missed at Wembley proved that you cannot just switch on ability at the drop of a hat. We discussed this during the game. The fact that he had been coasting to this game for over a month showed in his rustiness in front of goal. He has been embarrassing since the Chelsea game and owes the club a proper season next year instead of talking up how great he is and Champions League nonsense. He is no better than Yakubu was when he was on his game imo.

Just found this corker
image.webp

So why is RM getting 2 years (first one doesn't count because he performed well, which is no barometer of his abilities apparently) and Moyes got 11?

Probably due to the fact moyes imporved massively on smith in his 1st full season, and after a cack second season, recovered to get us our highest PL position.

Whereas martinez has gone backwards. It's not really that hard to fathom.

So why is RM getting 2 years (first one doesn't count because he performed well, which is no barometer of his abilities apparently) and Moyes got 11?

Both are unable to win cups.

League wise - 6th place trophy vs 11th place trophy.

Take your pick and I don't even mention the resouces that were available to them.

When Moyes came in the club and team were in turmoil on/off the pitch and relegation favourites, he basically got rid of all the aging so called stars on big wages and rebuilt the team that moved us away from the dark days of relegation battles to chasing a European place.

Martinez has come in with the team and club in far better shape and yet we are closer to the relegation zone after 3 years or Martinez while after 3 years with Moyes we were improving

Moyes over stayed some 4 years but when he came to do a job he actually did it cause at that time we needed a Moyes to rebuild the team, now we have Martinez destroying it.

Any manager of Everton Football club should be judged against our historic record of winning titles and trophies. That's why Moyes and ultimately Martinez and others before them will be judged as failures. That's what we should expect of any manager of our club.

As supporters we should expect or demand that. We're Everton, we're not Watford or Southhampton or even Leicester for that matter who've just won it for the first time. We have form, tradition, history, I'm not prepared to bin those aspirations or the staff and players who built that legacy on hard graft, just because we've had it tough and haven't won anything in twenty years, irrespective of the reasons behind it. I'll never, never embrace the peoples club mentality.

Talk and act like a small club you become one. We should all welcome the return of pressure, targets, accountability for failure. There absolutely should be a raising of the bar. How else do you achieve success without it? A pat on the back for finishing fourth or fifth. Sorry it's nowhere and always will be. The bar at Everton should always be winning the league. If you want a return to those days I suggest a rethink on what you consider is good enough for Everton.
Nail on head......well said Sir !! My own view entirely

The first one did count - it all counts. The first one got our hopes up and gave the board the confidence they had chosen the right bloke and allowed them to scrabble around behind the couch for whetever coppers they could find to give him to take us forward.

Year 2 it didnt go quite as well - for some the alarm bells are ringing - we went back not forward - but lets not knee jerk and throw him to the wolves - we dont do that, we are building a young and promising squad here.

Year 3 - all gone horribly wrong - supposedly gifted players shot to bits - looking unfit - looking like they have no confdence, and playing the majority of the season like a bag of frogs, topped off by a shambolic derby capitulation - the catalyst for the majority. So having lost the players, fractured the fan base and created doubt in the higher echelons of the club, the players, commentators, pundits and media (respected to different levels by different people) - it is no wonder the majority want to see change.

As for what moyes did and how he did it - completely different circumstances and largely irrelevant. (Why is this apple not an orange ! irrelevant!)

His record breaking 72 pointer delivered hope - nothing else - nothing tangible.

This years fiasco has been another record season - in terms of home defeats - but ultimately it has deliverd fear - fear that if he is left any longer - he takes us down - and the fact he has form for that which again if trying to evidence like for like comparisons is not accurate, and therefore possibly not relevant, but will absolutley play on sane peoples minds due to basic human nature is going to sway some opinion.

No-one on here or at the club has crystal balls so we cant see the future. But this is a risky business with sometimes fine margins. Decisions have to be made based on assesments of the proababilty of those risks being materialised - when you balance up all the factors and then look at any possble mitigations to those risks then the writing is surely on the wall for Roberto.

The first one did count - it all counts. The first one got our hopes up and gave the board the confidence they had chosen the right bloke and allowed them to scrabble around behind the couch for whetever coppers they could find to give him to take us forward.

Year 2 it didnt go quite as well - for some the alarm bells are ringing - we went back not forward - but lets not knee jerk and throw him to the wolves - we dont do that, we are building a young and promising squad here.

Year 3 - all gone horribly wrong - supposedly gifted players shot to bits - looking unfit - looking like they have no confdence, and playing the majority of the season like a bag of frogs, topped off by a shambolic derby capitulation - the catalyst for the majority. So having lost the players, fractured the fan base and created doubt in the higher echelons of the club, the players, commentators, pundits and media (respected to different levels by different people) - it is no wonder the majority want to see change.

As for what moyes did and how he did it - completely different circumstances and largely irrelevant. (Why is this apple not an orange ! irrelevant!)

His record breaking 72 pointer delivered hope - nothing else - nothing tangible.

This years fiasco has been another record season - in terms of home defeats - but ultimately it has deliverd fear - fear that if he is left any longer - he takes us down - and the fact he has form for that which again if trying to evidence like for like comparisons is not accurate, and therefore possibly not relevant, but will absolutley play on sane peoples minds due to basic human nature is going to sway some opinion.

No-one on here or at the club has crystal balls so we cant see the future. But this is a risky business with sometimes fine margins. Decisions have to be made based on assesments of the proababilty of those risks being materialised - when you balance up all the factors and then look at any possble mitigations to those risks then the writing is surely on the wall for Roberto.

Anyone calling 606 or Collymore soon, just print that off.

Extremely well put.

Southampton fans making me laugh on twitter
facebook etc claiming there a bigger club and for
Koeman too come here would be a downgrade are they for real
couple good seasons these days it takes people to turn totally deluded,
id have him anyday

Bet people outside Everton will think the same...like my Man Utd friend. He thinks we are small time.

Hiddink has said leicester wanted him, got claudio instead, both better calibre than bobby, just goes to show what its like to have ambition, cmon moshiri please change our perception to everyone on the outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back