Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Managed to hang around in a league that they couldn't for just a start. That's before we get into European appearances and cup runs quality of squad etc. Southampton bigger than Everton? Dear me.
Saints have sold a serious amount of quality players in the last few years to stay afloat and then make profit though..

We are however, back in business now though and i can't wait to get stuck into some of these 'bigger' clubs.

Saints have sold a serious amount of quality players in the last few years to stay afloat and then make profit though..

We are however, back in business now though and i can't wait to get stuck into some of these 'bigger' clubs.

They've done ok and have a decent academy. Even their recent history in the prem pales into comparison with ours. We were 5th and in Europe a few seasons ago. Southampton have barely tasted either.

Reversing the decline that Bobby the snake oil salesman will leave this club in, will be a big job for the new manager. Martinez has been a disaster imo

Do you think Southampton Stoke etc are bigger than Everton because they've been slightly higher midtable than us the last two seasons?

No. I think anyone interested in the notion of big / great club is concerned with things that don't bother me. A neutral / supporter of another club typically in their early or mid 20's would have no reason to think of us as a great club. In 70 years, we've had 7 trophy winning seasons. It's not the kind of record which sticks in other people's minds. And that was the original point of the post I was responding to.

In nz and Aussie, Everton is perceived at around Soton level...that's just how we're seen nowadays.
Agreed...this is why we have to lose the "plucky Everton" tag. all Evertonians know our history and stature in the game since we formed but history on its own is not enough - we cannot dwell on past victories and achievements (something we sometimes criticize our loveable neighbours for ) to the exclusion of where we are now. In my opinion we have to try and re ignite the NSNO motto and ensure that the whole club can identify with that sentiment. Until that happens (and I am optimistic that it can be done) we will be perceived as you suggest -tbh I don't think its that different here. Lets give it a go shall we ??

I dont agree. The decline on the pitch is relatively simple to arrest. It is one my bones of contention with him that he couldnt. Or wouldnt.

Steady progress will be the maxim now I reckon.

It might not be as simple as we hope - some professional footballers can be rather sensitive souls so there is no telling if the apparent loss of the dressing room, the shattered confidence and the "lack of chemistry", as well as the specific knocks or setbacks to their individual games or development will be responsive to a quick fix.

There does remain the real possibility that it is too late for some already and for some of our rising stars that we are desperate to keep that they are out of here regardless of who comes in. That could make steadying the ship and firming up the foundations to push onto where most of us think we should be heading, that little bit more tricky.

It might not be as simple as we hope - some professional footballers can be rather sensitive souls so there is no telling if the apparent loss of the dressing room, the shattered confidence and the "lack of chemistry", as well as the specific knocks or setbacks to their individual games or development will be responsive to a quick fix.

There does remain the real possibility that it is too late for some already and for some of our rising stars that we are desperate to keep that they are out of here regardless of who comes in. That could make steadying the ship and firming up the foundations to push onto where most of us think we should be heading, that little bit more tricky.

True.

But sorting a defence/team defending, is the more straight forward aspect of managing a football team. Fix that, and most other stuff is kind of already in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back