Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't actually say this to them as you handed over the ticket, did you?
They are not stupid! Just not reached the stage of anger that I have yet. Il enjoy spending the money Il be saving myself on treating my kids.
Id be surprised if its a sell out on Sunday as im sue there are a lot of people with the same mindset

I'm not going to criticise the man anymore. We all know his flaws and it's clear that he's not the right man to take us forward. He's lost the players and the fans and there's no coming back from that.

The criticism now needs to be aimed at the board. Specifically whoever is deciding to wait to sack him. Should have happened after the Derby. Could have happened at Christmas to be honest. It's their job to remove Roberto for his good and ours, but instead they stay silent. It's a disappointing start to Moshiri's era.
Completely agree with this. Think they wanted to give him till the end of the season but things are so toxic now, with the players as well I reckon, that keeping him on has proved a big mistake. Doubt the training ground is a happy place this morning

I suppose this is not something to be happy about.I wanted Martinez to be a success but those of us who had him well sussed out at christmas were subjected to all sorts of intimidation.We were called self entitled plotters and geordies.Funnily enough those same people have gone into hiding as our season has crumbled into ruins.I think it's fair to say that the plotters were proven right in the end.Those of you who were banding out terms like plotters.Get out of hiding and admit you backed the wrong horse.;)
Everybody wants the best for Everton, people have different opinons as to what is best.

Childish post in my opinon...from a fellow Corkonian.

The Bascombe article is very interesting. All I can think is that Martinez should have been calling the players out a lot earlier, too little too late.

As regards the sacking I can see 1 of 3 possibilities;
1) He is sacked this week and no longer takes charge of games
2) It is announced he will be leaving in the summer.
3) The club leak information to the press/make a statement that they will review his future at the end of the season.

Unfortunately I can't see option 1. They have now left it so long that they would open themselves up to a wave of criticism for sacking him now. People would legitimately ask if they could sack him now, why didn't they sack him when it mattered? Also what was it about Leicester that was unacceptable that was not acceptable about the Liverpool game? Or the Arsenal game? Unfortunately the decision not to act after the semi final (and the derby) has meant they are anchored to him until the end of the season.

The second option is a possibility. Martinez may agree to this as he may want to avoid the humiliation of the Norwich debacle. However he would be within his rights to say "sack me now" if you want him to go. The third option may be what we get. It's what FSG did with Rodgers last season and also with Dalgiesh. Briefed the Echo and friendly journalists just enough for the fans to know that it would be dealt with at the end of the season.

I was happy Kenwright stayed on and even felt he may have had a role to play beyond a period of months into 2-3 years to help Moshiri. I felt that his loyalty and football understanding could have come in handy. However his role in the debacle of Martinez, and refusing to budge on getting rid of him I think has put an end to any hope of that happening. Kenwright needs to go as well for the good of the club. We need a clean break in the summer and the unaccountability that has resonated through the club needs to go. If he stays much longer he will undermine Moshiri.
Agree re Kenwright and also should include Elstone too. A clean slate is required and people with fresh ambition are needed along with a new manager. Way too much dead wood there to allow us to move forward

Understandably everybody on here is absolutely assuming he is going. Reading thAt okeefe article though, he seems to think it's a real possibility hell be given another 6 months.

The Bascombe article is very interesting. All I can think is that Martinez should have been calling the players out a lot earlier, too little too late.

3) The club leak information to the press/make a statement that they will review his future at the end of the season.

Unfortunately I can't see option 1. They have now left it so long that they would open themselves up to a wave of criticism for sacking him now. People would legitimately ask if they could sack him now, why didn't they sack him when it mattered? Also what was it about Leicester that was unacceptable that was not acceptable about the Liverpool game? Or the Arsenal game? Unfortunately the decision not to act after the semi final (and the derby) has meant they are anchored to him until the end of the season.

The second option is a possibility. Martinez may agree to this as he may want to avoid the humiliation of the Norwich debacle. However he would be within his rights to say "sack me now" if you want him to go. The third option may be what we get. It's what FSG did with Rodgers last season and also with Dalgiesh. Briefed the Echo and friendly journalists just enough for the fans to know that it would be dealt with at the end of the season.

I was happy Kenwright stayed on and even felt he may have had a role to play beyond a period of months into 2-3 years to help Moshiri. I felt that his loyalty and football understanding could have come in handy. However his role in the debacle of Martinez, and refusing to budge on getting rid of him I think has put an end to any hope of that happening. Kenwright needs to go as well for the good of the club. We need a clean break in the summer and the unaccountability that has resonated through the club needs to go. If he stays much longer he will undermine Moshiri.

Of course , there is an option 4. But let's try not to think about that :(

I'm not going to criticise the man anymore. We all know his flaws and it's clear that he's not the right man to take us forward. He's lost the players and the fans and there's no coming back from that.

The criticism now needs to be aimed at the board. Specifically whoever is deciding to wait to sack him. Should have happened after the Derby. Could have happened at Christmas to be honest. It's their job to remove Roberto for his good and ours, but instead they stay silent. It's a disappointing start to Moshiri's era.
RFUS. I agree with you about not criticising RM anymore, it is clear that he is gone.

Without knowing what is happening in the background it is hard to criticise the board. I expect there are negotiations going on in the background about the terms and conditions of the manager leaving. When the players come back to pre season training in July a week or two extra in May will be of no consequence.

Kenwright, hanging off Moshiri after the Chelsea QF victory and proclaiming 'What a Manager!' made me feel physically sick.
You can see a measured steely calm about Moshiri where as Bill just bounces off emotions and looks a bit amateurish. Yes it was a great victory that evening, but we had, even with a semi final booked at Wembley, failed miserably throughout the season.

IF we want to attract the likes of Mourinho to our club this summer we need real business men with the financial clout and ruthless ambition to take the club forward in the negotiations. Not someone who will talk about Uncle Cyril's handlebars and the atmosphere in the boys pen 50 years ago.

What strikes me as bizarre and counter-intuitive now is the supposed decision to keep him until the end of the season, if this has been calculated on the basis of preserving the man's dignity and respect within the club, and to the outside footballing world, and then subjecting him to the unpleasantness that will ensue after the Norwich game, if there has still been no announcement by then. It should not be forgotten that this will also be the last home appearance for several members of the squad. It would/will be a deeply unseemly, sad way to sign off, wretched season or not.

For the love of God announce it before the Norwich game. There will be palpable relief and we may even get a result on the day. I'm sure in that scenario that 99% of blues would approach the game bearing in mind the sensitive circumstances prevailing and see out the day if not in a positive, then at the very least, benign manner. The need for protests in that scenario are completely nullified. And, I'm sure Martinez will be no less dignified and respectful, in whatever statement or comment he wishes to make as his final act with the club.

Last edited:
Do you think Roberto Martinez is what's best for Everton?
As it happens I believe he needs to go and is gone... but , that isn't the point.

I respect that people may have different opinons to me. It doesn't make me right or wrong and it doesn't make anybody a plotter or a defender or anything else. It makes tham an Evertonian with a different opinon.

There are no better or worse supporters.

I don't know if you are aware of Davek, he has been defending RM to the very hilt. There is no more committed Evertonian , but as it happens I tend to disagree with a lot of his ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back