Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacking Martinez won't guarantee success but i firmly believe keeping him will guarantee relegation. Roberto has had 3 seasons at an established and until recently top 6 Premierleague club and he has failed miserably. He's been gifted more than enough time and money to prove he is the right man and has been found wanting. He has destroyed the morale of the fans and players. Should he be sacked then it is not a knee jerk reaction or unfair on him, it's a perfectly fair return based on his performance as manager.

Just saw on the Echo that 81% thought De Boer would make a good manager. This to me is the problem with fan power. What do they know of DeBoer as a man or manager (who as far as I know has only worked in Holland). Not one of them that voted will be responsible if it all goes wrong and will simply start to scream for De Boers head in two years time or whatever.

If Roberto is sacked (its easy to sack a manager) it will be the biggest decision possibly of this decade and not one I would care to be responsible for.
How can you say it's a big decision to sack him in light of how the team plays, our home record, 68 shots against in last 2 away games, the players attitude and the manager himself....press conferences, Cleverly on the wing, Bryan Oviedo at right back, keeping Howard in goal etc etc. It's not a big decision to sack him at all, it's straight forward. ............or did I interpret your post wrong, are you in fact alluding to who his replacement would be? if so, then yeah, totally agree

The most successful teams have stability and a long serving manager, obviously some managers have to go but just because we sack Martinez guarantees nothing.
It guarantees getting rid of his wretched philosophy mate.

Where winning games isn't as important as the style, and clean sheets don't even feature in the thinking.

Wenger is the last of the breed when it comes to long serving incumbents in this league.

I want him gone as much as the next man, but I don't blame him staying for a payout, we are talking millions, and he has a contract at the end of the day, this is also basically benitez's career strategy now, come in do crap, get sacked, get rich

Yes that's fine. But the price of that is dealing with the fan abuse. So suck it up Bobby lad

Hasn't Big Sam done his presser today? And don't you hold a presser 2 days before an away game?

That combined with the fact that SkyBet have suddenly reopened their "next Everton manager" market after saying they'd only do it after he was gone.

Evertonians have been extremely patient, I think. The majority didn't turn until somewhere around the Arsenal game. I think that's a credit to our fans in general. I agree that generally chopping and changing managers is not the healthiest way to run a football club (unless you have endless funds to ensure regular total team turnover isn't a problem).

That said, patience is there to prevent rash decisions. You shouldn't sack a manager at the first bad signs, or even the second bad run. Things happen, mistakes are made, people change. However, it is injurious to not learn from that which becomes obvious. Martinez is not going to change enough to be a good enough manager for Everton. He's had his chances, and time, he's had money, he's had backing. He's failed.

Stability is a positive thing. But we are not stable under Martinez. We are not growing and progressing. We are regressing. The signs that things will be turning around have all disappeared. At this point, any Evertonian that legitimately wants him in is simply bowing to the fear to the unknown. But how much worse can it get, honestly? Does anyone honestly think that Martinez can turn this around, or is the worry that the next guy will be worse?

Worse than a man that cannot get this team winning even sporadically at home unless playing utterly dire teams. Worse than a man that spent £13.5 million on Naisse.

Koeman would bore me, but he would obviously be an upgrade. De Boer may fail. Martinez WILL fail.

I'm at peace with the fact that I was way, way wrong on Martinez, and that he will be gone shortly. And I live in hope that we show ambition and bring in someone with real swagger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back