Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough but IMO the players were on holidays for a couple of months, they haven't thrown a leg at it for ages. If we save 2m or whatever for the sake of a week then that's fine by me. As someone else posted, that 2m could be the difference between signing a better calibre of replacement or settling.

Finally, I would rather the way Martinez represented us off the field than scabby lips Rodgers represented the rs. Martinez had a bit of class when dealing with sensitive situations, rather than looking for photo opps with 'look at me' all over his face.
The players have gone on holiday because (just like everyone else) they can see their manager is totally clueless and his tactics have condemned them to defeat before a ball has even been kicked. If we're seriously in a position when 2mil composition money is all that keeping him in the job then it's laughable as we'll lose a similar figure by league placing.

With regards to your second point I'd agree that Martinez has (off the field) represented us well, with a lot of passion and of course I don't believe he's anything like the despicable Rogers. I'm sure he's an extremely nice guy like he come over as, however as I've already said, his first and foremost job is to set his team up to win football match's. Unfortunatly it seems thay this is something he is incapable of doing! His precious philosophy will always come first, second and third at the expense of results.

In the time we've had Martinez and Moyes Friend we've won zilch in 14 seasons. Is it 17 with Smith?

Other clubs have changed plenty in that time. Spurs, Chelsea, even the six on one hand mutants Leicester.

A new manager - who would only be removed due to failure, by the way - every three years for the sake of rolling the dice a bit? Sounds fine by me

Now start to name all the teams that change managers and drop through the divisions?

The players have gone on holiday because (just like everyone else) they can see their manager is totally clueless and his tactics have condemned them to defeat before a ball has even been kicked. If we're seriously in a position when 2mil composition money is all that keeping him in the job then it's laughable as we'll lose a similar figure by league placing.

With regards to your second point I'd agree that Martinez has (off the field) represented us well, with a lot of passion and of course I don't believe he's anything like the despicable Rogers. I'm sure he's an extremely nice guy like he come over as, however as I've already said, his first and foremost job is to set his team up to win football match's. Unfortunatly it seems thay this is something he is incapable of doing! His precious philosophy will always come first, second and third for him.
Not disagreeing with you but there are 2 games left, there is no guarantee that a caretaker manager will win the last 2 games, as I said the players at this stage are probably saving themselves for the euros. They haven't put their foot in in months, I honestly can't see them turning it on now with a caretaker in charge. 2m is better in our pockets now to be used for our benefit in the summer than paying to get rid of a manager that's gone in a week anyway (touch wood).

Now start to name all the teams that change managers and drop through the divisions?

What??

That really is an absolute nonsense post. So everyone who has been relegated can likely source their problems to the point they sacked a manager??

Norwich kept faith with their manager this season. I tell you what, I bet you their fans wished they'd risked it around February. Or perhaps before they blew £8m on Naismith.

Martinez has won 10 of 36 league games this season. That should be sacking territory in isolation for an ambitious club, let alone being allowed to do much the same thing two seasons running.

If this alleged 2 million compensation is true then they should have paid him off a few weeks ago. We may have had a better chance to gain a few places at 1.5 million prize money per place. We are now falling places costing us money.

Not disagreeing with you but there are 2 games left, there is no guarantee that a caretaker manager will win the last 2 games, as I said the players at this stage are probably saving themselves for the euros. They haven't put their foot in in months, I honestly can't see them turning it on now with a caretaker in charge. 2m is better in our pockets now to be used for our benefit in the summer than paying to get rid of a manager that's gone in a week anyway (touch wood).
I can see your point but I'm really trying to make the final two match's as painless as possible and they might be more watchable if Martinez wasn't making the calls. I'm more thinking of our traveling fans on Wed (if it wasn't for the prospect of sending Newcastle down I'd give my ticket away!) and again on Sun. As you say though it'll all be over by this time next week. Hopefully anyway!

I can see your point but I'm really trying to make the final two match's as painless as possible and they might be more watchable if Martinez wasn't making the calls. I'm more thinking of our traveling fans on Wed (if it wasn't for the prospect of sending Newcastle down I'd give my ticket away!) and again on Sun. As you say though it'll all be over by this time next week. Hopefully anyway!
Think of all the lawnmowers we can buy with the 2m saved ☺

TBH, I think we need to see him gone now and air our intentions prior to the Norwich game.

We have a huge summer ahead of us, during which many of our players are in European competition. I have no doubt that at the final whistle of that match, all their attentions will turn to Internationals. We need to show a statement of intent to those players we risk losing BEFORE they go away with their national teams and get their heads turned, or agents acting for them. We need to give them something to come back for, now. Though I fear it may be too late.
Good point! International breaks are a prime tapping up territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back