Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad more and more are coming out of the woodwork to defend our gaffer.

Whilst I still think it's likely he will go, day by day I believe the chances of him staying are bettered.

Question, and a ridiculous one I know, if we could GUARANTEE that next season would be like season one, would you want to keep him?

I know it cannot be guaranteed but humour me...

Well if it was possible to guarantee he would finish 5th next season I would still let him go and go and try and get the guy who could guarantee first.

Who is "him" as I referred to not one person at all...

And the the part that cant tell lies from fact.
Having faulty logic and being stubborn is an impairment now. I see
Congratulations mate, you've just diagnosed the entire human race as impaired.
Your Nobel Prize is waiting on your kitchen table.

A character flaw is not an impairment.

So in 7 seasons as a PL manager, the only year he had a good defence at his disposal was the year he took over Moyes back 5?

Sort of says it all mate.....

Oh and btw he's had 6 International defenders to pick from this season like.....
What I mean is that at Wigan and here he had one season with quality experienced players.

Had we been money bags, he would have gone out and immediately replaced Distin with proven quality. Same with Howard. Same with bulking the squad with quality in case we had injuries.

I just don't think he's ever had the money to warrant the abuse he gets about the defence.

We had a back four of Robles, Oviedo, Baines, Stones and Pennington against Leicester. I'd say any manager would struggle is all.

I think every person has a mental impairment in one way or another yes.

But surely you'd admit that he hasn't had the personnel available to him since season one. Coleman, Baines, Jags all frequently missing, Distin left after professionally dying, Howard the same this season.

Can we only assess his managerial prowess defensively once he has the personnel to warrant a comparison? He has had to bring in Stones, Galloway, Garbutt, Robles, Galloway, Pennington in under two seasons. Far from ideal.

I think he is done mate. Championship is his level.

Glad more and more are coming out of the woodwork to defend our gaffer.

Whilst I still think it's likely he will go, day by day I believe the chances of him staying are bettered.

Question, and a ridiculous one I know, if we could GUARANTEE that next season would be like season one, would you want to keep him?

I know it cannot be guaranteed but humour me...

That is such a stupid hypothetical. Like saying would you still have Jose if we were guaranteed to finish 12th next season.

So I'm flawed now??
Think I preferred impaired.

;)lol

Anyway back on topic.

Its apparent and has been for a while that the man is not cut out for a top end job in management.

He cannot see how flawed his philosophy is and he refuses to change of to a winning tactic.

His style of football isn't a winning one and at be moment we need that sort of manager someone who can mix it up depending on the opposition so that we can beat any kind of team.

I think he has brought it on himself and I never think it was a good idea to keep up this constant praise of players as in every business after a while it just becomes diluted and means nothing.

We have to move on and do better, he will get respect for trying at Norwich and then quickly be forgotten about when we have a better manager in place

Just like having a fit bird isn't it mate? One minute you think "oh, brown shoes? I suppose they look quite nice," and the next she's gone almost completely bald, grown an unflattering stubble and given Ross Barkley very little help in developing his positional sense.

Give it a rest mate, it's a turn of phrase. Maybe wrongly used in this context, but no need to labour the point to this extent.

Well if it was possible to guarantee he would finish 5th next season I would still let him go and go and try and get the guy who could guarantee first.
Whilst Leicester are the exception, progression is important surely?

And we haven't shown progression, over these two years, granted.

What I mean is that at Wigan and here he had one season with quality experienced players.

Had we been money bags, he would have gone out and immediately replaced Distin with proven quality. Same with Howard. Same with bulking the squad with quality in case we had injuries.

I just don't think he's ever had the money to warrant the abuse he gets about the defence.

We had a back four of Robles, Oviedo, Baines, Stones and Pennington against Leicester. I'd say any manager would struggle is all.
He had the benefit of a player bought by Moyes who was always destined to be an England CB from his days at Barnsley (vault me on it), who's now supposedly a £40-50m player.

Who was effectively added to the Moyes defence in Martinez first season. He's since bought a £10m CB aswell.

He's had ample funds compared to his predecessor, but he's failed to get the best out of what he has at his disposal defensively, it's that simple.

Don't tell me that a back 4 of Baines, Coleman, Jags and Stones, could be classed as lacking quality?

Add to that Funes Mori, Galloway and Oviedo - has he got the best out of that lot?

Not a chance.

He should have replaced Howard last summer, we were all screaming for it, but he chose not to, and then didn't drop him until the crowd virtually demanded it. Who's fault's that?

His entire career shows that he can't organise and drill a solid defensive unit. Resource isn't the issue.

Leicester won the league with Huth and Morgan at CB btw mate.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back