Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst Leicester are the exception, progression is important surely?

And we haven't shown progression, over these two years, granted.

Of course, if he had shown progression/stability since that first season I doubt many would be complaining, but as you say he hasn't.

Critically, in my opinion, its not a lack of funds that's hampered him so Moshiri's Millions won't solve the root cause of failure. In the unlikely event that he stays then its a clean slate come the start of the season for me, but if he's here and not addressing his short falls then we might get left too far behind everyone else.

I think there is a pretty compelling caase for removing Martinez. What I don't get is why some still have faith in him. Yes he has won an FA Cup with Wigan and got us to two semi's, do we only want a manager who can have us do well in Cup competition?

What has he achieved in the league in his time at Wigan or here other than a one season blip (when we arguably squandered a chance to finsih 4th) that warrants this faith?

Spot on.

Coleman and baines been awful
stones and mori young and new partnership
Limited funds to replace players
jags been injured
barry no pace to cover in front

Man city spend over £100mil on defenders who concede daft goals but people want pellegrini.

martinez with that money would no doubt sign quality players as he has done so far with the bigger transfers.

Maybe he should have spent the £13.5m he spunked on the jarg Niasse on a defender then mate.

3 league wins this year - Villa, Newcastle and on the beach Bournemouth.

That is all.

Not calling you stupid mate, I just think that hypothetical is counter productive. It's sidestepping reality and the trend of results we've seen for two years based on nothing at all. That's not a constructive platform for a Martinez defence.
You're probably spot on there.
I think the question should probably have come after the contextual posts I've made so at least the point I'm making (probably still a poor one) would have been more easily seen.

What I mean is that at Wigan and here he had one season with quality experienced players.

Had we been money bags, he would have gone out and immediately replaced Distin with proven quality. Same with Howard. Same with bulking the squad with quality in case we had injuries.

I just don't think he's ever had the money to warrant the abuse he gets about the defence.

We had a back four of Robles, Oviedo, Baines, Stones and Pennington against Leicester. I'd say any manager would struggle is all.
He's spent virtually no money on defenders in three years until virtually forced to sign a centre half while investing in the likes of Cleverly, Kone, Lukaku, Niasse, deleufeu, mcgeady. Like it or not top teams are built on defence and his signings are just another example of his complete lack of interest in this area of the game.

How can a club with limited finances account for these eventualities? And in failing to do so, how is that the managers fault.

You can't seriously be trying to put the blame for our defensive collapse over the last 2 years down to resource compared to our peers can you?

Really?

Come off it mate.

Let me turn that on it's head. If Moyes was still here and armed with the same personnel and the same injury issues do you think we'd have shipped goals like we have done???

Wigan goals conceded premier league

05/06 52
06/07 59
07/08 51
08/09 45
09/10 79 <----Martinez 1st season
10/11 61
11/12 62
12/13 73

Everton
10/11 45
11/12 40
12/13 40
13/14 39 <----Martinez 1st season
14/15 50
15/16* 52

The only thing I can see is that barring his first season with us he makes defences worse.

I'd have to say his first season with us is a blip but it is purely a POV thing
His first season was built on the moyes back 4 which did so bloody well at defending.
Unfortunately that's been beaten out of them with a very large phenomenal stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back