Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate, Leicester sacked a more limited manager and replaced him with one who could get the best out of the players at his disposal
Can you honestly say we are progressing at all under Martinez, and if yes, by what common measure?
Progression is harder to see when results are poor. There is no doubt from a league standing we haven't maintained the heights.
I just think the previous financial model meant he had to buy/develop youngsters to generate funding for better players.

He has turned Lukaku into a 60mil striker, Stones 40+. If Mosh wasn't here, he'd be expected to sell those players and then reinvest. It's a different method to moyes who would almost guarantee top 8 but no more.

Now he is going to have money to buy quality to supplement all the good work he has done with infrastructure and developing younger players.

That's progression, to me anyway.

You can't seriously be trying to put the blame for our defensive collapse over the last 2 years down to resource compared to our peers can you?

Really?

Come off it mate.

Let me turn that on it's head. If Moyes was still here and armed with the same personnel and the same injury issues do you think we'd have shipped goals like we have done???
No but we wouldn't have scored as many goals as we have this season.

The PL has improved dramatically since Moyes left us. I personally don't think we would have been able to stay top 7 with his method of transfer business ie, buy proven, decent players. I think RM recognised this which is why he turned to youth and fund stockpiling.

I'm sure most of the people still supporting him are mentally impaired
Why would you say that ?
What does it contribute to the debate ?
Is it an intelligent contribution , did you think about it before you posted, or did your fingers just roam free for a minute ?

What if there are people on here who have family or friends with physical or mental impairment, are they suppose to ignore the comment, agree, disagree ?
Thank goodness I am lucky enough not to be in that situation , but I know people who are.

Even someone like Deulofeu, we all agree he has the talent but he has looked unfit for large parts of the season. Emery took him for a year on loan and declined to take him permanently, and called out his attitude and application whilst praising his talent.

There can be no surprise in that assessment from Emery, it's not rocket science. One of Martinez' greatest failings is to preside over a squad of players most of whom look nowhere near required levels of fitness and strength, particularly past the hour mark.

There is such pedestrianism and lack of urgency/intensity to our play it is at times unbelievable in the context of any elite level professional team sport.

Progression is harder to see when results are poor. There is no doubt from a league standing we haven't maintained the heights.
I just think the previous financial model meant he had to buy/develop youngsters to generate funding for better players.

He has turned Lukaku into a 60mil striker, Stones 40+. If Mosh wasn't here, he'd be expected to sell those players and then reinvest. It's a different method to moyes who would almost guarantee top 8 but no more.

Now he is going to have money to buy quality to supplement all the good work he has done with infrastructure and developing younger players.

Progression simply isn't occurring if results are poor, so it's not harder to decipher it's simply not happening.

In fact what's happening is an obvious regression, therein lies the issue.

Lukaku and Stones were always going to be top drawer. He might have helped them in some ways, but in others he's done the opposite. Stones for example needed a size 10 up his hoop for overplaying and not knowing when to hit row Z.

I get his supposed philosophy but you can't just apply it without regard to the particular resources at your disposal. In Jags and Distin we had two very good centre halves who worked very well together under Moyes but neither ever looked particularly happy to have the ball passed short to them across the back. First game of last season, the 2-2 at Leicester City, Roberto showed us where we were going, Jags and Distin were now stood about 30-40 yds apart at the back so that they could knock boring sideways passes to each other, but so far apart they could no longer communicate effectively and organise an offside trap.

RM sacrificed our defence on the altar of principle and inflexible beliefs and for that he should be chased into the night with pitchforks and burning torches.

But surely you'd admit that he hasn't had the personnel available to him since season one. Coleman, Baines, Jags all frequently missing, Distin left after professionally dying, Howard the same this season.

Can we only assess his managerial prowess defensively once he has the personnel to warrant a comparison? He has had to bring in Stones, Galloway, Garbutt, Robles, Galloway, Pennington in under two seasons. Far from ideal.
The thing is, Martinez had Titus Bramble and Gary Caldwell during his time at Wigan. Anyone who watches football, know they were appalling defenders. He talked them up rather than getting players in that could actually defend. He simply never addressed the defence here or at Wigan through tactics or replacing weak links.

Why would you say that ?
Is it an intelligent contribution , did you think about it before you posted, or did your fingers just roam free for a minute ?

What if there are people on here who have family or friends with physical or mental impairment, are they suppose to ignore the comment, agree, disagree ?
Thank goodness I am lucky enough not to be in that situation , but I know people who are.
I have members of my family who are both mentally and physically impaired.

Both of which wouldn't be arsed by faux outrage like yours.

Why would you say that ?

I have members of my family who are both mentally and physically impaired.

Both of which wouldn't be arsed by faux outrage like yours.

No but we wouldn't have scored as many goals as we have this season.

The PL has improved dramatically since Moyes left us. I personally don't think we would have been able to stay top 7 with his method of transfer business ie, buy proven, decent players. I think RM recognised this which is why he turned to youth and fund stockpiling.

Barry? Nope
Niasse? Nope
McGeady? Nope
Funes Mori? Nope
Lennon? Nope
McCarthy? Nope
Kone?

£28m Lukaku aside where is this stockpile of youth gems?

Are you saying he is directly responsible for turning those players into what they are and no other manager could have done so?

Also - Barkley appears to be going backwards under Martinez!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back