Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it was out of order but I understand the modern thing is to make things out to be more than they are and jump on it
I'm not making anything out to be more than it is. What are you implying please?

You commented on your own post yourself before I did.

But it's Lukaku who cost multiple players worth and he has generated probably 30mil profit. That's fantastic management.

McCarthy will regain form, I have faith.

Didn't Kone cost 5mil? Same with FM strictly.

So he stockpiled for McCarthy, Lukaku and Niasse really?

2/3 isn't bad at all.

Lukaku was always going to improve - he has his own agenda...nothing to do with clownshoes

But the rest is far better. That's 15 teams all considerably better.
Are they though? I mean, we're not for one, so that's 14 tops. But why would you say the rest of the league has improved over the past 3/4 years? There's more money, but it's relative, so now you have to pay £14m for someone like McCarthy who would previously have cost £5m. Other than that, I can't really see how the league has got better.

It's widely acknowledged that United and City have been utter tripe this year, yet they're still going to finish top 5. Is that a sign of improvement? Is the fact that Shane Long is about to fire Southampton into the top 6 and Wes Morgan has lifted the premier league trophy a sign of an improving league? Is the fact that Bournemouth are able to comfortably stay up with a team full of has beens and never weres a sign of a better league?

I think this is just something that's constantly regurgitated without any actual substance to it to be honest.

Are they though? I mean, we're not for one, so that's 14 tops. But why would you say the rest of the league has improved over the past 3/4 years? There's more money, but it's relative, so now you have to pay £14m for someone like McCarthy who would previously have cost £5m. Other than that, I can't really see how the league has got better.

It's widely acknowledged that United and City have been utter tripe this year, yet they're still going to finish top 5. Is that a sign of improvement? Is the fact that Shane Long is about to fire Southampton into the top 6 and Wes Morgan has lifted the premier league trophy a sign of an improving league? Is the fact that Bournemouth are able to comfortably stay up with a team full of has beens and never weres a sign of a better league?

I think this is just something that's constantly regurgitated without any actual substance to it to be honest.
I'm on my phone so can't substantiate right now but a few days ago I posted the top 10 when we finished 4th and the top ten now. Stark contrast.

Have enjoyed the debate today. Got to get my backside back to work though now.

Enjoy your afternoons blues.

But it's Lukaku who cost multiple players worth and he has generated probably 30mil profit. That's fantastic management.

It's not - it's fantastic business. I think we can both agree that Martinez didn't negotiate the fee here, it's handled by CEO and Chairman. You reckon Lukaku will leave for £60m? Hmm - he'll need to have a very big summer then.

Been poor for two years, and we were the only serious club in for him after he got relegated with Wigan. Talking hypotheticals here - the fact is he has been poor.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23230927

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34113566

Straight from the BBC. Echo says much the same.

Sold Fellaini for Lukaku in terms of money spent = excellent deal.

Replaced Fellaini with McCarthy in the team = highly debatable whether this has been good in the fullness of time. McCarthy has been dreadful for us for two years.

So McCarthy £13m. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23939349) Naisse £13.5m (wowzas) Lukaku £28m

So £28m of the £54m has been well spent? Dunno, I think that is pretty poor to be honest.

It's fine to have a polar opposite opinion like, it's a forum, but let's not get to the point where we are actually making stuff up.

Wigan goals conceded premier league
05/06 52
06/07 59
07/08 51
08/09 45
09/10 79 <----Martinez 1st season
10/11 61
11/12 62
12/13 73

Everton
10/11 45
11/12 40
12/13 40
13/14 39 <----Martinez 1st season
14/15 50
15/16* 52

The only thing I can see is that barring his first season with us he makes defences worse.

I'd have to say his first season with us is a blip but it is purely a POV thing

That is quite a scary chart. Do you have the figures for goals scored though and games/points won, otherwise it may not be a fair appraisal........still eye opening though.....

2/3 isn't bad at all.

Nayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lad.....that's fantastic talent.

It's not - it's fantastic business. I think we can both agree that Martinez didn't negotiate the fee here, it's handled by CEO and Chairman. You reckon Lukaku will leave for £60m? Hmm - he'll need to have a very big summer then.

Been poor for two years, and we were the only serious club in for him after he got relegated with Wigan. Talking hypotheticals here - the fact is he has been poor.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23230927

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34113566

Straight from the BBC. Echo says much the same.

Sold Fellaini for Lukaku in terms of money spent = excellent deal.

Replaced Fellaini with McCarthy in the team = highly debatable whether this has been good in the fullness of time. McCarthy has been dreadful for us for two years.

So McCarthy £13m. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23939349) Naisse £13.5m (wowzas) Lukaku £28m

So £26m of the £54m has been well spent? Dunno, I think that is pretty poor to be honest.

It's fine to have a polar opposite opinion like, it's a forum, but let's not get to the point where we are actually making stuff up.

I've read direct quotes from RM that his transfer outlook is stockpiling cash from sales/income and then bringing in a higher value player. He has done this:

McCarthy- 13.5mil
Niasse- 13.5mil
Lukaku- 28mil
Funes Mori- 9.5mil

So we are bringing in less Naismiths, less Jelavics, less Gibsons etc etc

I have absolute respect for you, as you know, but I am most certainly not making stuff up. I have a point and examples.

I may though be completely wrong and I expect, as I know you will, to pull me up on it when I am.

I'm not making anything out to be more than it is. What are you implying please?

You commented on your own post yourself before I did.
I'm implying that you are making me out to be some sort of villainous person who is intentionally out to offend anyone with physical or mental disability which isn't the case at all.

And I have constantly tried to get this back on Topic which is I'm sure what you wanted but it is lose lose for me as I'll be banned or something now for defending myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back