Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Groucho I'd rather just focus on talking about Roberto Martinez than this anyway.

In future I Won't use terms that could seem a little bit risky or offensive even if I disagree with it.

Can we finally draw a line in the sand?

I've read direct quotes from RM that his transfer outlook is stockpiling cash from sales/income and then bringing in a higher value player. He has done this:

McCarthy- 13.5mil
Niasse- 13.5mil
Lukaku- 28mil
Funes Mori- 9.5mil

So we are bringing in less Naismiths, less Jelavics, less Gibsons etc etc

I have absolute respect for you, as you know, but I am most certainly not making stuff up. I have a point and examples.

I may though be completely wrong and I expect, as I know you will, to pull me up on it when I am.
McGeady? Lennon? Cleverley? Kone? So basically, we're not.

Quite simply, we have more money and so buy more expensive players than we used to. We still buy the same type of squad players though, and theres nothing wrong with that if you do it right. Getting Naismith on a free, getting 3 decent seasons of service and then selling him for £8.5m is a great business plan to be honest.

I have absolute respect for you, as you know, but I am most certainly not making stuff up. I have a point and examples.

I may though be completely wrong and I expect, as I know you will, to pull me up on it when I am.

By this I meant

Didn't Kone cost 5mil? Same with FM strictly.

Neither cost £5m, "strictly"...

p03197sm.jpg

... or otherwise

I've read direct quotes from RM that his transfer outlook is stockpiling cash from sales/income and then bringing in a higher value player. He has done this:

McCarthy- 13.5mil
Niasse- 13.5mil
Lukaku- 28mil
Funes Mori- 9.5mil

So we are bringing in less Naismiths, less Jelavics, less Gibsons etc etc

Naismith - free signing, sold £8.5m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/18701146

Jelavic - bought £5.5m, sold up to £7.5m

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/nikica-jelavic-join-hull-city-6497247

Only Gibbo then - and didn't he go on something ridiculous like a one defeat in 13 run with us at one point? Isn't this the first season we've lost a home game that he has started or something mental. Maybe we need more Naismiths, Jelavics and Gibsons and less McCarthys and Naisses (imagine more than one of the latter) - and imagine that as a statement.

So he has to buy cheap and sell high? Beyond about four teams in this country, isn't that what everyone has to do?

And has this approach been vindicated? Let's say he does stockpile all the dosh and spend it on one player each time. It's left us with;

Howard and Robles
No serious RB competition for Coleman
Arguably no decent left back alternative
One 'experienced' CB.
Cleverley filling in all over the midfield.
No serious alternative to Barry.
No serious alternative to out-of-form Barkley at the 10 position.
Lukaku as our only decent striker.

So let's be fair, it's been a disastrous decision.

The problem for Martinez - if the Board and majority owner are looking at it dispassionately - is you would be gambling £100m on him returning to the form of one season, and avoiding the form of his other 7 Prem league seasons. That's a hefty gambit - and he's hardly carrying goodwill into the crunch decision, let alone the new season

Er....?

Blimey, if these were good buys we are in the really deepest stuff.

Have a look at the goals conceded, games won, points gained with Robles in the team. Anyone-but-Howard filters on the Evertonian vision here.

And Funes Mori is basically a mistake-a-game player.
Arsenal home, Liverpool away, West Brom away etc etc

First three - I'll definitely go along with

Glad you said this. Was beginning to feel lonely! He's got the turning circle of a ship. Called the Titanic.

By this I meant

Neither cost £5m, "strictly"...

p03197sm.jpg

... or otherwise

Naismith - free signing, sold £8.5m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/18701146

Jelavic - bought £5.5m, sold up to £7.5m

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/nikica-jelavic-join-hull-city-6497247

Only Gibbo then - and didn't he go on something ridiculous like a one defeat in 13 run with us at one point? Isn't this the first season we've lost a home game that he has started or something mental. Maybe we need more Naismiths, Jelavics and Gibsons and less McCarthys and Naisses (imagine more than one of the latter).

So he has to buy cheap and sell high? Beyond about four teams in this country, isn't that what everyone has to do?

And has this approach been vindicated? Let's say he does stockpile all the dosh and spend it on one player each time. It's left us with;

Howard and Robles
No serious RB competition for Coleman
Arguably no decent left back alternative
One 'experienced' CB.
Cleverley filling in all over the midfield.
No serious alternative to Barry.
No serious alternative to out-of-form Barkley at the 10 position.
Lukaku as our only decent striker.

So let's be fair, it's been a disastrous decision.

The problem for Martinez - if the Board and majority owner are looking at it dispassionately - is you would be gambling £100m on him returning to the form of one season, and avoiding the form of his other 7 Prem league seasons. That's a hefty gambit - and he's hardly carrying goodwill into the crunch decision, let alone the new season
Quite right mate,more or less threadbare, in all positions

That is quite a scary chart. Do you have the figures for goals scored though and games/points won, otherwise it may not be a fair appraisal........still eye opening though.....

Was just looking at the defensive side sorry don't have time to do the rest

Was just a point made around Martinez defensive ability I was responding to

I do have an agenda but wasn't purposely excluding other stats ;)

I'm implying that you are making me out to be some sort of villainous person who is intentionally out to offend anyone with physical or mental disability which isn't the case at all.

And I have constantly tried to get this back on Topic which is I'm sure what you wanted but it is lose lose for me as I'll be banned or something now for defending myself
I am not making you out to be a villainous person.

The very fact you felt the need to come out and justify your 'mental impairment' comments before I intervened, coupled with the several reports we recieved from members about it who found it offensive, inevitably means that I/we have to address it.

However you appear to have now gone on the attack, accusing me of making you out to be a villain. Not the case mate.

No one is accusing you of anything, merely pointing out that a differing choice of words may have been better. Let it go now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back