Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to come out like a bull here, but you're probably right and time has just eradicated the memory of how it felt.

I remember at the time. I had a season ticket, I was certain that we were a team on the verge of greatness and that we'd have a great year in the next season. It was easy to blame the chelsea final just on injuries catching up

And then bilyaletdinov happened and I never really regained my faith in moyes and kenwright.

Same way I was certain two years ago we were going places after we beat arsenal 3-0 and then thrashed wolfsburg. And then came hull.

Fewest #EFC home League points in a season (using 3pts/win):
16 - 2015/16 (3 h games left)
24 - 1957/58 1888/89
25 - 1929/30 1996/97 1896/97

Christ!!
That is quite staggering. When you think of some of the poor sides we had in the 90s and compare it with the talent within our squad today, then it makes sobering reading. Stats don't always paint a true picture, but likes moues in his only season at Utd, he setting all types of records of the wrong type. Well we know what happened to moyes, the same fate awaits Martinez.

fans being vocal will change matters. i was happily sat there today clapping when arsenal went two up. no booing because theyre obviously trying their best. Nil satis nisi mediocrum

At least we were fighting for european places every season instead of the league season ending in January with this tool.

In 11 full seasons, Moyes qualifed us for europe 4 times. Which was an improvement on the 1 year in europea in the previous 11 years, don't get me wrong.

But, if we win the cup, Martinez will have qualified us to europe 2 years out of 3.

Sometimes something happens to put things into perspective. My wife and I are babysitting my wife's first grandchild, Joseph. His mum - my stepdaughter - and I never really got on when she lived with us, but things have improved greatly since Joseph arrived and, over time, I have become his favourite 'grandad'. Both of Joseph's parents had been worried that he was still not walking (he was born on Boxing Day 2014 so he's coming up to 15 months old). Joseph and I were alone in the room when I stood him up at arm's length, let go of his hands. He stood, swayed a little and then took his first steps as he walked towards me. I called everyone into the room and told them what happened, then tried it again. Again he walked towards me and there were gasps, smiles, tears and, at last, total acceptance that I'm not so bad after all.

I'm not ashamed to say that I shed a few tears too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back