Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to ask what has the manager been doing this week?

How can you take a group of players who must have been bouncing off the walls at 8pm last Saturday and then over the course of the week they get themselves into such a mentally fragile state that they can not even perform the basics let alone show passion the following Saturday lunchtime. This against a side which has just had one of its worst weeks in many a year.

I really am at a loss to explain it. Here was the opportunity to inject some momentum into the remainder of the season, the environment was entirely conducive to such - great result last week, new investor present once more and a 2 week break ahead.

Staggering ineptitude from players and manager alike, but particularly the manager who is responsible for preparing players prior to a game.

If we do win the FA Cup, I suspect this will be revisited.

When he was hired, I said we'd drop 6 places in the league but have a good chance of winning a cup and I'd take that.

I still would.

I'd be made up with winning the Cup and would happily write off a poor league season for it.

But, if a better manager was available, who we could afford and was willing to come here, we'd be crazy to say "But Roberto won us a cup". That probably sounds cruel, but it's a tough old world.

That is quite staggering. When you think of some of the poor sides we had in the 90s and compare it with the talent within our squad today, then it makes sobering reading. Stats don't always paint a true picture, but likes moues in his only season at Utd, he setting all types of records of the wrong type. Well we know what happened to moyes, the same fate awaits Martinez.
No it doesn't

It should. But in all likelihood it doesn't. I'll be very surprised if he's not the manager at the start of next season.

Sometimes something happens to put things into perspective. My wife and I are babysitting my wife's first grandchild, Joseph. His mum - my stepdaughter - and I never really got on when she lived with us, but things have improved greatly since Joseph arrived and, over time, I have become his favourite 'grandad'. Both of Joseph's parents had been worried that he was still not walking (he was born on Boxing Day 2014 so he's coming up to 15 months old). Joseph and I were alone in the room when I stood him up at arm's length, let go of his hands. He stood, swayed a little and then took his first steps as he walked towards me. I called everyone into the room and told them what happened, then tried it again. Again he walked towards me and there were gasps, smiles, tears and, at last, total acceptance that I'm not so bad after all.

I'm not ashamed to say that I shed a few tears too.

Brilliant mate, very pleased for you and your family.

In 11 full seasons, Moyes qualifed us for europe 4 times. Which was an improvement on the 1 year in europea in the previous 11 years, don't get me wrong.

But, if we win the cup, Martinez will have qualified us to europe 2 years out of 3.

Ridiculously unfair comparison. Moyes inherited a relegation threatened side. They had no business being anywhere near Europe. Martinez picked up a very good squad that was used to challenging for European qualification. He had a massive head start not to mention s good bit of spare cash for expensive loans like Lukaku Del and Barry. Moyes went a few Windows without buying s first team player and having to sell off his good ones.

You have to ask what has the manager been doing this week?

How can you take a group of players who must have been bouncing off the walls at 8pm last Saturday and then over the course of the week they get themselves into such a mentally fragile state that they can not even perform the basics let alone show passion the following Saturday lunchtime. This against a side which has just had one of its worst weeks in many a year.

I really am at a loss to explain it. Here was the opportunity to inject some momentum into the remainder of the season, the environment was entirely conducive to such - great result last week, new investor present once more and a 2 week break ahead.

Staggering ineptitude from players and manager alike, but particularly the manager who is responsible for preparing players prior to a game.
So the manager is more to blame forthat performance?

Seems to me Martinez is a good cup manager... has done fairly well in cup competitions... but a league manager he is not as he can't sustain anything over a season.

So do we want a manager who will give us better chances at cups? Or a better league manager? Yes ideally one good at both....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back