Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The point was that Martinez has had more cash than Moyes. One manager was forced to sell his best players and often didn't get the money to reinvest. He was shopping in the bargain bin and the rubbish loan market with occasional purchases in line with the rest of the league for players like Yakubu and Johnson. The other manager has never had to sell any player he didn't want to, indeed we turned down an eye watering amount for a 20 year old centreback. He's been given any money he's raised through player sales, he's been allowed to have expensive loan players and then reward some of them with long contracts, and on top of all that he was given the sort of cash to blow on one player that other teams outside the big 5 have not matched. Yet you are trying to make out that in some way both managers are operating in similar financial situations? Couldn't be further apart.

Point for pounds Moyes is in a different league to Martinez.

Relative though, innit.

Moyes got given more than most managers in germany or spain. But what was important was that 11 or 12 teams in the league got more.

Martinez also got more than most manager sin germany and spain. But again 11 ort 12 other teams in the league got more.

In absoloute terms kendall and catterick got no money at all compared to moyes. But that's a stupid way of thi9nking. it's relative to the rest of the league that is inprotant.

And you know moyes turned down 11 million for Saha if you want a stones comparison.

Sometimes something happens to put things into perspective. My wife and I are babysitting my wife's first grandchild, Joseph. His mum - my stepdaughter - and I never really got on when she lived with us, but things have improved greatly since Joseph arrived and, over time, I have become his favourite 'grandad'. Both of Joseph's parents had been worried that he was still not walking (he was born on Boxing Day 2014 so he's coming up to 15 months old). Joseph and I were alone in the room when I stood him up at arm's length, let go of his hands. He stood, swayed a little and then took his first steps as he walked towards me. I called everyone into the room and told them what happened, then tried it again. Again he walked towards me and there were gasps, smiles, tears and, at last, total acceptance that I'm not so bad after all.

I'm not ashamed to say that I shed a few tears too.
tumblr_neg83l49OG1u17qyeo1_500.gif

So Martinez is given 30 million, mcclaren is given 30 million.

Martinez attracts and buys a 30 million player, mcclaren chooses instead to buy 3 10 million players. Result being martinez has a higher quality of players.

Good for martinez, surely. He's used his resources better. Good skill for a manager to have.
And he's going to lose said player as we've shown nothing to suggest that he's capable of steering the players he's bought into the CL.

Not such a good quality for a manager to have....

Relative though, innit.

Moyes got given more than most managers in germany or spain. But what was important was that 11 or 12 teams in the league got more.

Martinez also got more than most manager sin germany and spain. But again 11 ort 12 other teams in the league got more.

In absoloute terms kendall and catterick got no money at all compared to moyes. But that's a stupid way of thi9nking. it's relative to the rest of the league that is inprotant.

And you know moyes turned down 11 million for Saha if you want a stones comparison.

Do you have the figures at hand for these comments?

I love how so many of the fans on here are basically saying they don't care about the league anymore because we have a better chance in the cup. You know what that sounds like don't you?

So when our best players are asking to leave because of.poor league form, it won't matter because we have a good cup run. When we struggle for creativity and goals because those players have been poached, doesn't matter, as long as we do well in the cup.

When we are fighting relegation because our team is poor because not every player we sign is fantastic and can adjust to the league, doesn't matter because we are doing well in the cup.

Hell, if we go and get relegated because of it, won't matter because we have won the cup on the way.

For those who think I'm talking out my arse here, poor league form for two years and dropping down the league is literally what I have described above. It just takes longer than a year to really kick in, as villa have shown.

1. We're rich enough to buy good players regardless of where we are. See real madrid's manager going to newcastle because of the wages they cna pay. The idea of oh we're 17th we won't get anyone is over. 4 clubs outside england can pay what we cna in wages, we can take juve's best players if we want them.

2. We're 13 points clear of relegation with 9 games left.

Moyes probably never had much of a transfer kitty because of the wages we were paying him.

Martinez is the 6th best paid manager in the league and one of the ten best in club football world wide.

We never paid moyes anything we're not paying martinez.

Do you think he's one of the ten best managers in club football world wide or the 6th best in england?

The point was that Martinez has had more cash than Moyes. One manager was forced to sell his best players and often didn't get the money to reinvest. He was shopping in the bargain bin and the rubbish loan market with occasional purchases in line with the rest of the league for players like Yakubu and Johnson. The other manager has never had to sell any player he didn't want to, indeed we turned down an eye watering amount for a 20 year old centreback. He's been given any money he's raised through player sales, he's been allowed to have expensive loan players and then reward some of them with long contracts, and on top of all that he was given the sort of cash to blow on one player that other teams outside the big 5 have not matched. Yet you are trying to make out that in some way both managers are operating in similar financial situations? Couldn't be further apart.

Point for pounds Moyes is in a different league to Martinez.

You're moving the goalposts a lot, I simply said transfer fees are relative to the time. 5 years ago is a long time when you look at the Sky revenue.

I'm not talking about who's the better manager, whether Moyes was good or bad at signing players, whether Bobby dances better than Moyes.

It was one simple statement. Settle down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back