Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you think how utter toilet we were last year, to have lost as many games already after 29 matches is really scary stuff.
Not sure what you're seeing there mate - we've so far lost the same amount of games as the entire 13-14 season. Difference really between then and now in that respect is the balance of home-away form.

We've conceded almost twice as many goals at home since then, though. With three home games left. Conceded 7 goals more at home that all of last season.

45% --> 34% ---> 31% (so far) for win percentages doesn't strike me as progress, though

There's an anecdote during the last days of Walter Smith that finally prompted Kenwright to sack him. It could be true who knows, but apparently a fellow director whispered into his ear, after the abuse targeted at the manager and said "you'll be next". Walter Smith was sacked within a week. It's almost Romanesque in it's intrigue, probably not true of course. but there's a lesson in it. Ultimately the supporters do have power and to disregard it would be foolhardy. Across the Everton forums, irrespective of the Chelsea result there is a seismic shift, between those who are willing to see if this is the next Howard Kendall etc...and those who just see another Gordon Lee. It's not knee-jerk or reactionary, some people have just seen it all before. It really comes down to your expectations and where you think we should be. Personally I'm old guard. I grew up with the motto, which to some is out of date and unrealistic. Still means something to me though. Maybe that makes me both a fantasist and a cynic. Everton will do that to you. Still I wouldn't rule out fellow Evertonians view and their capacity to affect change, I've seen great players hounded out this club and a few managers who never should have been here in the first place. All done by the will of the supporters.

Honestly mate I think this is a brilliant post.

I think the very early 30s and under crowd have turned against Martinez and want him out.

Then looking at some of our wiser, more experienced Evertonians like @BlockHead , @Khalekan , @The Esk and so forth and what they have posted today which would suggest seasoned Evertonians also think change is required.

Sadly there is a sort of 15 year bracket of mid-30s to 50 group of Evertonians so terrified of their further homogenisation with Kopites / Geordies (bizarrely and without a hint of irony an accusation they lob at the other aforementioned age groups, not realising they hold a mirror up to reality) that cling to the fence or worse, defend the indefensible Martinez (defending and Martinez in the same sentence, oh cruel irony that too).

Did you know that purchases of games consoles in the 34-50 bracket has risen exponentially in recent years?

Make of that what you will.

Honestly mate I think this is a brilliant post.

I think the very early 30s and under crowd have turned against Martinez and want him out.

Then looking at some of our wiser, more experienced Evertonians like @BlockHead , @Khalekan , @The Esk and so forth and what they have posted today which would suggest seasoned Evertonians also think change is required.

Sadly there is a sort of 15 year bracket of mid-30s to 50 group of Evertonians so terrified of their further homogenisation with Kopites / Geordies (bizarrely and without a hint of irony an accusation they lob at the other aforementioned age groups, not realising they hold a mirror up to reality) that cling to the fence or worse, defend the indefensible Martinez (defending and Martinez in the same sentence, oh cruel irony that too).

Did you know that purchases of games consoles in the 34-50 bracket has risen exponentially in recent years?

Make of that what you will.

Their kids are growing up and they are buying them gifts?

Their kids are growing up and they are buying them gifts?

As a bizarre reflex / knee-jerk to their own insecurities that they are projecting onto the more sensible sections of our fan base?

Excellent point sir, not thought of it like that.

Yes, that's absolutely fine. Godspeed.

That Martinez though lads. Just makes the debate so easy, week after week.

About to become the Everton manager with the worst ever home record in a league season. A stellar away record that has... Five wins. One against a totally out of form Southampton, an absolute mince WBA, Villa ( lol ) Newcastle ( lol ) and Stoke. Wow.

Four home wins - Newcastle ( lol ) Sunderland ( lol ) Villa ( lol ) and a Chelsea side in full mutiny.

Is there really actually a line for debate anymore? Just sack him, bring someone senior in to see us through to the end of the season and conduct a thorough review of the squad for the new owner and go on from there.

I'm just not sure why people thought adding Martinez, McCarthy, Robles, Alcaraz and Kone ( then later McGeady and Cleverley) to the 2012 / 2013 Everton side was going to be a long term boost in quality. Nice first season - only two of the aforementioned bringing any tangible value along the way ( Martinez and McCarthy, and let's face it, both have long since reverted to mediocrity ). But the pattern has now been set.

Agree with @The Esk - Moshiri's blank expression and Bladdered Billy's incoherent bumbling said it all. He's gone - next week, next month, an FA Cup or not - he's gone in the summer. Cannot wait.

This.

It baffles me that he has been allowed this much time, even a mid-table club with some ambition would have him long gone. Why also wait until the FA Cup? We would have much better chance winning it with Walter Smith than this complete and utter clown and I can't believe people still defend him?! i would happily take Moyes back over him right now.

This.

It baffles me that he has been allowed this much time, even a mid-table club with some ambition would have him long gone. Why also wait until the FA Cup? We would have much better chance winning it with Walter Smith than this complete and utter clown and I can't believe people still defend him?! i would happily take Moyes back over him right now.

Alex you were not even 10 years old when Walter Smith managed us, you have no idea how bad it was then, awful comparison.

I was a season ticket holder with my Dad in the family enclosure since 98 mate and believe it or not do have memories and also know my history.

Must be hazy fella if you think Smith was ever capable of winning 3 games in a row let alone a trophy, although the big names of Ginola, Hughes and Gascoigne would have made any 6 year old excited despite them being absolute poo.

I was a season ticket holder with my Dad in the family enclosure since 98 mate and believe it or not do have memories and also know my history.

I was only about 10 back then too but one of my earliest everton memories was that abysmal cup loss to middlesbrough were we were 3 down by the break.

Because of the fact this is about the only game under Smith I have much recollection of, my opinion of him isnt too high lol

Must be hazy fella if you think Smith was ever capable of winning 3 games in a row let alone a trophy, although the big names of Ginola, Hughes and Gascoigne would have made any 6 year old excited despite them being absolute poo.

I can't remember when Martinez last won 3 games in a row mate? Same goes for all the talent in this team then when compared to our league position. If he wasn't such a likeable guy I really don't think people including yourself would still defend this clueless idiot.

I didn't know that mate. The last computer game I bought was Championship Manager 00-01. As many times as we won the European Cup and League during my "ahem" management, I never thought in reality, we'd still be in the position today as we were then, were semi-finals and bottom half finishes would still be seen as progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back