Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday morning I was convinced he'd still be here next season, but it sounds like the knives are being sharpened.
Can I be honest mate?

And I say this openly expecting criticism. I want Everton to win the FA Cup as much as everyone does... I 100% do.

But...

When Arouna Kone scored his hat-trick in the beginning of the season, I came out and stated it would turn out to be the worst thing that could happen to us and our season. Certain members asked me to apologise to Arouna much to my disbelief.

I was proven correct then. He wasn't dropped until he stunk it up. Our season in tatters.

I feel the FA Cup is the same predicament. I want to win it, but I honestly feel it will set our club back years by just delaying the inevitable.

The knives do appear to be out.

No other club with any ambition would tolerate this seasons home record and overall league performance.

1. Do i care that he got 72 point in his first season - not at all, that gave him the grace of a terrible last season, he used that credit up in spades this season was the one he started needing to show what he was all about, in that he has done, he can manage a team in a cup environ, but in the league looks out of his depth and clueless
2. Do i care we got to two semi finals in the cup - no, one of those semi's make the situation worse, we where 3-1 up in the tie and then the manager makes a 'league like' decision, and after that we bottled it as a team, Kone out of form and with no confidence coming on and cheerio any chance of the cup final, in the FA cup - people like @davek are lauding it like we won it already (although he is careful to cover his arse by saying even if we lose its a great acheievement etc etc etc ), sorry but Villa managed by Tim Sherwood managed to reach a cup final last season - look at them this, Wigan, Birmingham, Portsmouth all won cup finals, great if we win it, but does absolutely nothing besides paper over the cracks in terms of where we are as a team and progress we are making (or lack therof)
3.Do i care that we are 'the entertainers' - nope, because that title is given almost as a pat on the head by people, yeah your crap but fun to watch as a neutral etc, stick it in the same bag as punching above ourt weight and knives to gunfights for how it means nothing but a backhand compliment.
4. Do i care that we have conceded the most goals of any team in the league at home, including Villa - yup, home form dictates where you are as a team and by and large the team tends to play to the managers 'philosophy' most at home for teams - the home everton is the real martinez style of play
5. Do i care we have lost 8 games at home and won 4 (3 of thos eagainst the bottom 3 teams this season) - yup i do because that shows that besides for the absolute terrible teams in this league that any other team has found us out at Goodison and the manager hasn't got a clue what to do about it
6. Do i care that we have lost more points from winning positions than any othe team - yup, because that shows a team lacking in character - and a team is a reflection of the manager, no character, no spine and no responsibility attached, no surprise though as how can the manager hold any player accountable when he singularly fails to either take any of the responsibility on himself or hides his head in the sand with talks about luck, refs and phenomenal performances not giving what we deserved
7. Do i think its an utter embaressment to have Stones, Deulofeu benched from this team and their development seemingly going backwards - yup, because after all one of Martinez selling points is how he develops through youth, Galloway is now back with the udner 21's, Stones looks a shell of a player in large part due to Martinez mismanagement of him, Deulofeu has become the victim of martinez being unable to organize a defense - so unless a player can 'put a shift' in then they can't play - that sounds very similar to what Moyes used to do and the reasons he wouldn't play young players doesn't it?
8. Do i think we need to change the manager - 100% yes, keeping a hold of martinez is something that no club with any real ambition of going anywhere besides the championship would do, if we keep hold of him then it's a huge red flag that 'this is ok' - players with more ambition than a semi final and 12th place will move on, yes they may move anyway but can guarantee it will be a lot faster that they leave under the current manager
9. do i think @davek will answer this post, - kind of, he will probably pick one or two points and give some slant on how it's amazing and phenomenal and the rest eh will just swerve any answer to.

WhoooooHooooooo.......now, that's what I call a rant.

Back of the net......take a bow, son :dance:

No, he's got a point.

You chastised someone for not providing evidence earlier, and he has asked you to show how we have improved. You've dodged it.

You can leave it wherever you like.
Well I actually said there was no such thing as evidence, just your opinion of it. And it was how I feel. No chastisement. Although choice of language does indicate inclinations

Okay well this is when it becomes cult like. I said what I felt about how 'some fans' were presenting their argument. So I may be criticising you, no idea, but don't pretend you're on a crusade for 'the fans'.
You were using it as a defence to pooh pooh their concerns re: Martinez. I'm no where near a superfan, but yeah I have defended our fans when they get blamed for the teams poor performance- here, and on twitter. Certain players haven't performed but they have my support on the field, although I was quite wrong with Naismith. I used to get irrationally wound up by him. Anyhow, it's a lovely Sunday and the sun is shining, so perfect to stay indoors and watch the Derbies. Truce?

So the effect of changing manager there is a 50:50 gamble.

Chelsea went from Champions to their worst league position for some time, Utd are at their lowest ebb for many a year and City have really gone off the boil since Pellegrini's departure was announced. The Shyte haven't set the world alite but they've dug out some great results whilst Leicester, West Ham and Spurs have all improved significantly.
In summary its a complete gamble either way.

If I am honest with you Tony, I think the greater gamble for us is sticking with Bobby.

Left to his own devices he will have us in the thick if the relegation fight next season or the season after, IMO

Can I be honest mate?

And I say this openly expecting criticism. I want Everton to win the FA Cup as much as everyone does... I 100% do.

But...

When Arouna Kone scored his hat-trick in the beginning of the season, I came out and stated it would turn out to be the worst thing that could happen to us and our season. Certain members asked me to apologise to Arouna much to my disbelief.

I was proven correct then. He wasn't dropped until he stunk it up. Our season in tatters.

I feel the FA Cup is the same predicament. I want to win it, but I honestly feel it will set our club back years by just delaying the inevitable.

The knives do appear to be out.

You're spot on here mate. Some people will respond with faux outrage at the suggestion we don't want our team to win games or the cup, but it'll earn him another year and no mistake, and he could do some serious damage in that year.

Wigan fans would rather have come 17th and stayed in the prem having not won the cup, than be in League 1 right now. If us not winning the cup means arresting this hideous, not all that steady decline, then I want us dumped out so we can replace the manager and actually start building for next season with hope and confidence.

spoke to a couple of Everton fans at the match yesterday who were saying we have been in touch with Jose but he is going to the Mancs.
Could that be the reason we played like we did as we are already looking to replace brown toes.

The only reason I remain in the "on the fence" category is because I just can't see him leaving with Bill still wielding any sort of influence. It all comes down to how powerful Moshiri is now, and until we know that for certain, I don't want to get fixed in either camp.

You're spot on here mate. Some people will respond with faux outrage at the suggestion we don't want our team to win games or the cup, but it'll earn him another year and no mistake, and he could do some serious damage in that year.

Wigan fans would rather have come 17th and stayed in the prem having not won the cup, than be in League 1 right now. If us not winning the cup means arresting this hideous, not all that steady decline, then I want us dumped out so we can replace the manager and actually start building for next season with hope and confidence.
I still want to win it. With all my heart. Just like I wanted Arouna to score that hat-trick for our win.
But...

spoke to a couple of Everton fans at the match yesterday who were saying we have been in touch with Jose but he is going to the Mancs.
Could that be the reason we played like we did as we are already looking to replace brown toes.

I think Martinez will know his time is up - at this stage I don't think even the Cup will save him this summer, especially if Moshiri completes a mooted full takeover.

It's never a good thing to have a lame duck leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back