Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with catcherintherye, apart from still wanting him as a Manager.

I think what has to be borne in mind is that Moshiri has experience of seeing things from behind the scenes at Arsenal. He has seen how they have built and maintained a top four team that also wins the odd trophy nowadays. He knows what is needed to be in that position.

I do NOT think he will be prepared to invest his hard-earned in the club's present set-up. I would not be surprised if, come the summer, he lays down a blueprint (no pun intended) for taking the club up several levels. I believe that blueprint would include getting rid of the average players, assuring the young gems that we have that their future is with the club and what he will build, and commensurate with that, getting a Manager in who can actually achieve all of his desired aims...

I agree with catcherintherye, apart from still wanting him as a Manager.

I think what has to be borne in mind is that Moshiri has experience of seeing things from behind the scenes at Arsenal. He has seen how they have built and maintained a top four team that also wins the odd trophy nowadays. He knows what is needed to be in that position.

I do NOT think he will be prepared to invest his hard-earned in the club's present set-up. I would not be surprised if, come the summer, he lays down a blueprint (no pun intended) for taking the club up several levels. I believe that blueprint would include getting rid of the average players, assuring the young gems that we have that their future is with the club and what he will build, and commensurate with that, getting a Manager in who can actually achieve all of his desired aims...

He won't have any huge say in the players mate.

He likes football but isn't a footballing man.

He won't say to any manager - whoever it is - 'so and so is average' etc etc. - it's not his place to do so.

What he will want to see is results and that's why RM will be under pressure. He's seen both sides of the Martinez coin in the space of a week

He won't have any huge say in the players mate.

He likes football but isn't a footballing man.

He won't say to any manager - whoever it is - 'so and so is average' etc etc. - it's not his place to do so.

What he will want to see is results and that's why RM will be under pressure. He's seen both sides of the Martinez coin in the space of a week

Your first sentence - good point.

But I think he will know enought to be able to say: 'Get rid of the dross that is here at present. Get down to the core of players that are the future and I'll make sure we can bring in better players to build around them'.

He's not made his billions without being 100% savvy and alert to particular situations.

I just hope his presence CAN herald a new era for us all.

Anything in particular make you think that Woolly? I want to believe he's soon for the chop.

Nothing specific mate, I'm not at all ITK.

Just a gut reaction and a brief chat this morning with a couple of blokes ( not on GOT ) who I've known for years who also aren't privy to any inside info, but have bags of common sense and seem to think his exit is almost inevitable, if not at the end of this season then not long into the next.

The telling thing was the interview the other day where he almost seemed to acknowledge that someone else might get to finish the job. Those might not be the exact words he used, but the tone was pretty much that.

Not a huge fan of slating him, he's still young with much to learn.

Hopefully the past 2 seasons have been a lesson to him, and we can build again.

To say that things haven't improved from last year like some of you lot have been banging on about is nonsensical.

We are moving forward after taking a few steps backward, even the most scathing of Martinez' critics can see that.

The telling thing was the interview the other day where he almost seemed to acknowledge that someone else might get to finish the job. Those might not be the exact words he used, but the tone was pretty much that.

Missed that. Makes you wonder if he has already been told something......

Its pretty amazing how Martinez has managed to squander all that good will he built up in his first season.

He could walk on water in most fans eyes (including mine) after that season and now he has around 3 quatars of the fan base baying for his blood.

It's certainly been some fall from grace

The thing with that for me was, in Martinez first season we still had the backline from Moyes that was well drilled....we clearly don't put the same time in on the training ground on defensive tactics (doesn't look like we do any defensive training)....so we've bit by bit lost our balance, and now are totally clueless when it comes to defending and seeing out a game when ahead.....this isn't something that can be fixed under Martinez, because he doesn't know how....and for me that's why whether he wins the cup or not, he has to be replaced in the summer.....if Moshiri has a new guy lined up, I'd even like to see that change made now before the semi-final...

Just read Ian Doyle's piece in the echo. Unless we win our remaining three league games we will record our worst ever points total at home in our history (if previous seasons points were calculated at three for a win). We also need to win all three games to level our lowest ever number of wins in our prem history.

How does this guy still have a job?
Think it's because some people think it will all come good,well they hope it will.

Missed that. Makes you wonder if he has already been told something......
You'd find that unlikely unless there's been to some extent a frank discussion with the board/members of the board regarding our performances.

I'd expect it is more likely that Martinez is now realising that this is a long term problem and people are rapidly losing faith... he's under pressure!

To that extent he must know that his job isn't as secure as he would like it to be, especially with his ally Bill having diminishing power.

Not a huge fan of slating him, he's still young with much to learn.

Hopefully the past 2 seasons have been a lesson to him, and we can build again.

To say that things haven't improved from last year like some of you lot have been banging on about is nonsensical.

We are moving forward after taking a few steps backward, even the most scathing of Martinez' critics can see that.
What?!

We are currently having our worst home season in the Premier League era. If we don't win ALL of our remaining three home games then it will be our worst EVER home record.

Yeah, really moving forward.

This debate has switched from arguing whether Martinez is a top manager or not, to whether he might not be but is developing top players we will reap the benefit from, to arguing about whether Kenwright will fire him in the summer or wait until next season. All that talk of 'nicely on track for 60 points' 'tough fixtures out the way we will go on a run now' 'playing the best football in the league, you'll see once Howard has gone' 'it's because Stones has had his head turned, bring Jags back and we're all good'. It was all wrong.

Martinez may win the cup and whilst you cannot knock it a large part of it is due to Lukaku's moment of brilliance v Chelsea. Had Costa's shot not stayed out we may well have gone down and we had barely troubled them before Lukaku's brilliant solo goal. If Arsenal City Liverpool Spurs or Leicester were in the semis we would not be confident at all of winning it, this could still occur if United get back any form and beat West Ham on Tuesday. If we do win it, the question is is it worth wasting another season or two in the league with this manager based on the fact his 30 million pound striker turned it on for 5 mins in an FA cup quarter final and it was an unusually bad year for the big sides? Not for me. Bring home the cup and then leave please Roberto.

The thing with that for me was, in Martinez first season we still had the backline from Moyes that was well drilled....we clearly don't put the same time in on the training ground on defensive tactics (doesn't look like we do any defensive training)....so we've bit by bit lost our balance, and now are totally clueless when it comes to defending and seeing out a game when ahead.....this isn't something that can be fixed under Martinez, because he doesn't know how....and for me that's why whether he wins the cup or not, he has to be replaced in the summer.....if Moshiri has a new guy lined up, I'd even like to see that change made now before the semi-final...

Yep, Martinez inherited a back 4 that we're well organised and knew each other inside out.

That gave him a solid base to build the attack from. Ferguson , Mourinho etc have always built their teams around a strong back 4

Problem in the last 2 seasons is that Defence has had to be broken up for various and the Catalan has no idea how to replace them

You'd find that unlikely unless there's been to some extent a frank discussion with the board/members of the board regarding our performances.

I'd expect it is more likely that Martinez is now realising that this is a long term problem and people are rapidly losing faith... he's under pressure!

To that extent he must know that his job isn't as secure as he would like it to be, especially with his ally Bill having diminishing power.

Oh sure, a direct "You are off, come what may" would be very unlikely, granted.

A more general, "The new owner might look to make changes, nothing is off the table" less so though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back