Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All things considered, Martinez has to go even if we do win the cup. It's a very short sighted view to take "he's won us the cup, surely he's worth another season". NO!!

Only one other team in Europe's top 5 leagues has conceded more goals at home than us, and we won 21 games out of the last 67. That is disgusting. Yet every week we look so timid and scared in our defending. It's utterly pointless to have a great attacking ethic if you can't also defend, only an idiot would think otherwise.

Relatively speaking, imagine you performed to the same level at your job as Martinez has over the last 2 years?! I know for a fact I'd of been asked to leave or even been sacked.

It's about time the board took our motto seriously "nothing but the best is good enough" and got rid of Martinez, as quite frankly, his general deployment and tactics are making a mockery of our motto, and most of our players don't appear to have any regard for it either.

Completely agreed; top post.

brppp8a.jpg

Just loaded Football Manager and it's the first thing I saw.

Looks pretty real.

Ask the big questions!

Are we progressing as a football club?

Are we nearer to achieving the objective set out when he first arrived, namely contenders for Europe and possibly the Champions League?

Do we see any signs of this group of players maturing and kicking on to the next level?

The answer is to each is no, and the buck stops with the management and coaching squad.

For all their good intent, they're sadly not good enough.
Are Everton in a better shape from when Moyes left? Yes. From the youth all the way up to the first team squad, everything has improved. The only thing missing is results, we've had 2 seasons of terrible league results, 2 seasons of good cup runs (Europe and two semis this season). It is a results business but I'm willing to give him time because if he gets it right, our potential is scary. I'm willing to be a bit more patient with him, because while he has been here he has done more right than wrong.

I am getting quite angry that their are still some people still trying to defend and stick by Martinez. Are you plain stupid or just happy watching his sh1te brand of football every week? Are you clinging on for some type of Kendall-esque 1984 turnaround?

It is not going to happen. We are truly awful and I can only remember being as consistently bad as this at the start of the 94-95 season, particularly after the 0-4 defeat at Maine Road when Dave Watson told Mike Walker that "We're F4cking sh1te" in the dressing room after the match.

The players looked like they have had enough yesterday, they also looked like they didn't know what to do, what position they were supposed to be playing in. No idea how to defend, to attack and the midfield just chasing shadows, it was spectacurlarly bad in every aspect.

Even the most average teams are now coming to Goodison to get a result and doing it quite easily.

PLEASE SACK HIM NOW - THE GUY IS A LOSER AND ALWAYS WILL BE.

This isn't quite accurate. This includes his time in charge of Wigan too. His winning percentage at Everton in the prem is 40%. Now I know that's not great, but don't make it sound worse than it is. You know who has a similar record... David Moyes. 41% winning percentage (including 50% from his time with ManU). I'm not saying this is a good thing, but don't exaggerate misleadingly to make a point.

If that's the case, you must really hate that you posted this about Lukaku just a few months ago then:

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...-19th-sep-at-15-00.79285/page-79#post-3870348
I'm glad you brought that up. Because it allows me to show my ability to admit I was wrong, of my own free will.
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/romelu-lukaku.77973/page-237#post-4117768

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/romelu-lukaku.77973/page-111#post-3966095

Now that's you piped down. Now please grow a set and admit defeat on Martinez.

Ask the big questions!

Are we progressing as a football club?

Are we nearer to achieving the objective set out when he first arrived, namely contenders for Europe and possibly the Champions League?

Do we see any signs of this group of players maturing and kicking on to the next level?

The answer is to each is no, and the buck stops with the management and coaching squad.

For all their good intent, they're sadly not good enough.

board doesnt seem think so. so what are they thinking or seeing? ( this is not criticism towards the board at all just a question)

Are Everton in a better shape from when Moyes left? Yes. From the youth all the way up to the first team squad, everything has improved. The only thing missing is results, we've had 2 seasons of terrible league results, 2 seasons of good cup runs (Europe and two semis this season). It is a results business but I'm willing to give him time because if he gets it right, our potential is scary. I'm willing to be a bit more patient with him, because while he has been here he has done more right than wrong.

Managers don't fundamentally change who they are because we want them too mate, he is what he is, 10 years into managing and he has never changed one bit, even when it meant his previous team went down he stuck by it.

Europe last season wasn't a good run btw, thats a myth, we did well in a group stage that any decent team should navigate, beat a awful team and then got absolutely humiliated by a half decent side when it mattered.

Cup semi - got battered as soon as City turned it on and looked clueless in the away game

All we are is 'potential' but the potential that was getting said 3 years ago about 18-20 yo lads is now being said about the same group who are now 21-23 yo players, pretty soon we will be talking about our potential with a team of 26 year olds and wondering where all that time went

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back