Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
progression
prəˈɡrɛʃ(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1.
    the process of developing gradually towards a more advanced state.
As we won't get Europe this year due to underachievement, the player he brought in to get us to this "advanced state" (Lukaku) and thus progress will not be here.

Thus making it all pointless unless he replaces him with another player who can get us 20 goals a season.

Our league form cannot be described as progressive and our league positioning is certainly not progressive.

The only thing that can be described as progressive, is the number of goals we score and how much we win the passing. However, we now conceed more than we ever did before, as he has clearly stated in public that clean sheets are not imprtant to him, therefore rendering the goal scoring positive useless also.

Anybody who openly states on a forum that we are "progressing" really needs to reconsider their statement on this basis.

Two and a bit seasons. They gave Walter Smith 5, FFS. Do your really think they're pulling the plug on a feller who can create this type of attacking football?

Not a chance.

Give me a 28m striker and remove the need to defend and I could have the lads playing attacking football. That's easy

The 60+ season is already gone. We'd need more than 2 points a game from here on in at this point. Simply isn't going to happen.

So it's two really poor seasons on the spin with the same problems and, more worryingly, problems that have existed throughout this particular managers entire career.

You spotted the chronic problems with Moyes; I'm confused as to why you're blind to them with Martinez. Sometimes you can support what a guy wants to do (and I am a fan of the philosophy Martinez has), but there has to come a point where you have to accept he's simply not capable of doing what he wants to do, as he simply isn't cut out for the job.
If that target of 60 points is missed it becomes not a good season. It becomes an average one.

No one gets sacked for an average season unless you're at one of the financial elite clubs.

Do I really have to point this out to grown men? Put your thinking caps on lads and then type.

I know you're being 'funny' neil, but anyhow, have a little read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Ferguson#Appointment_and_first_years

this bits interesting -

The season began well with a 4–1 win over defending champions Arsenal on the opening day, but United's league form quickly turned sour. In September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against fierce rivalsManchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap ... ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked.[63][64] Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game", as United ended the decade just outside the relegation zone

wonder when we will see our first banner?

I can understand the frustration and disappointment with Martinez. I'm as frustrated as anyone on here, but what good would sacking Martinez now do us? We'd also be waving goodbye to a large number of the backroom staff as our new manager would bring his own men in. On that point, who is a realistic replacement right now? Big Dunc? David Unsworth? I can't think of any external appointments off the top of my head.

this bits interesting -

The season began well with a 4–1 win over defending champions Arsenal on the opening day, but United's league form quickly turned sour. In September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against fierce rivalsManchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap ... ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked.[63][64] Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game", as United ended the decade just outside the relegation zone

wonder when we will see our first banner?

This weekend neil.

Two and a bit seasons. They gave Walter Smith 5, FFS. Do your really think they're pulling the plug on a feller who can create this type of attacking football?

Not a chance.

Tight defences win games, not open ones. Points win games, not plaudits.

110 goals conceded in 18 months and 3 home wins all season. What an ace building job he his doing, how proud it is to be an evertonian these days. But don't let facts ruin your argument, you carry on old chum :coffee:

That has all the hallmarks of wishful thinking about it.

It just isn't real mate. It isn't. Believe me, if the time arrives when it looks like Martinez is skating on thin ice it'll be recognised and acknowledged by me. But what we're seeing here are people posting on a forum who have invested enormous amounts of emotional energy dearly wanting a change of manager for two years or more now and who think every defeat is the trigger for it. Well it isn't. They are so far off having their finger on the pulse of the club on the issue it's untrue.

Here's what is real: we have still a relatively new manager for this club rebuilding a squad and adding massive value to it (if you think that isn't appreciated by the decision makers you have rocks in your head). We've just pushed the best team in the country all the way and just fell short of a cup final by virtue of a dodgy decision. We must do better in the league.

That ^^^ is what the board see.

End of story.

Wish all you want, but THAT is the reality.

Over 2 1/2 years - relatively new? lol

Try all you like to spin this into some fanciful internet campaign by some supposed group that have made it their goal in life to hound out a manager, that's all in your head lad.

Evertonians being hacked off with the results and performances of the team is what the issue is, and the buck for that stops with Martinez.

How many of you cast your votes within an hour after the final whistle last night?
I did but i'd said before the game he needed to win a trophy to keep his job, this was the best chance as the FA Cup is a pipedream. He has messed up this season like he did last and we have a defence that looks clueless week in week out.

Still Davek will say that is progress so all is fine.

If that target of 60 points is missed it becomes not a good season. It becomes an average one.

No one gets sacked for an average season unless you're at one of the financial elite clubs.

Do I really have to point this out to grown men? Put your thinking caps on lads and then type.

We won't get near it, so it's going to be a bad season. I'd be amazed if we got 50.

It's two poor seasons, barring a miracle, and at this point, it's one and a half of truly terrible performance.

Really no need for the petty insults at the end there either - I'm trying to understand your position, and simply can't, so asking questions.

It's confusing to me that you'd even be happy with, say, 59 points at this point, given you have in the past stated you didn't believe there was any value in points late in a season once it was already dead.

Strong finishes to this and last season are scant consolation. They came as a result of the pressure being off and many other teams coming to the end of a draining season because they've been involved in more competitions.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...ing-champions-league.35465/page-2#post-828218

But that said, that was your opinion on Moyes. With Martinez, your views vary wildly, and I suspect that's because you have made a standpoint, and nothing is going to change your view on it.

Last year I listened to you making these same points. 12 months on and it's gotten worse. You're depending on going on a run to get into the top half and will be satisfied with that. I honestly think you're a red taking the piss. They are the only ones I thought would be happy to see us doing so poorly.

If you don't notice that the the slow slide down the league standings is an issue because like a magpie you were distracted by the shiny league cup that's fine. Which thread are you banned from? I can't listen to your delusions any more

Leave out the kopite talk please, even tongue in cheek.
Dave may be a pain in the arse, but he's a Royal Blue pain in the arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back