Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'll be..

Highest Paid Football Managers Around The World
NO# MANAGER TEAM SALARY
1 Pep Guardiola(New) Manchester City £15m (3 year deal set to start in 2016-17 season
2 Pep Guardiola Bayern Munich £14.8m
3 Arsene Wenger Arsenal £8.30m (signed a 3 year deal in May 2014)
4 Zinedine Zidane Real Madrid £8m (2 and half year deal)
5 Louis Van Gaal Manchester United £7.3m (3 year deal set to expire at the end of 2016-17 season)
6 Jurgen Klopp Liverpool £7m
7 Jose Enrique FC Barcelona £7m
8 Rafael Benitez Newcastle United £4.5m (plus £2 bonus if Newcastle Avoid drop)
9 Roberto Mancini Inter Milan £4.30m
10 Antonio Conte Italy £3.95m
11 Manuel Pellegrini Manchester City £4.2m
12 Massimiliano Allegri Juventus £3.50m
13 Laurent Blanc PSG £3.45m
14 Jorge Jesus Benfica £3.34m
15 Roberto Martinez Everton £3m
16 Slaven Bilic West Ham United £2.95m
17 Roy Hodgson England £2.95m
18 Joachim Low Germany £2.80m
19 Dunga Brazil £2.50m
20 Ronald Koeman Southampton FC £2.30

I lost it when he said Barry was one of the greatest English players of all time and that he made Joe Allen a 15 mill player.

To be fair he said Barry was one of the greatest English midfielders in "Premiership history"......not all time, which is a whole nother thing.

And I would think he has a point there.

Apart from Sccholes, Lampard and Slippy it is hard to think of many better English central midfielders this past twenty years or so.

But the Welsh Xavi remarks......:Blink:

Nucking futz :pint2:

"We're not enjoying playing at home".

That's not "we are playing poorly and getting it wrong tactically at home", that's not enjoying it.

So "home" is the problem, blaming the crowd again.

No wonder his support has evaporated lol

Yes, that is what I took from reading that remark.

Pretty poor show from Bobby there.

To be fair he said Barry was one of the greatest English midfielders in "Premiership history"......not all time, which is a whole nother thing.

And I would think he has a point there.

Apart from Sccholes, Lampard and Slippy it is hard to think of many better English central midfielders this past twenty years or so.

But the Welsh Xavi remarks......:Blink:

Nucking futz :pint2:

SD has a hate locker full of Gareth Barry. SD being proven 100% wrong on his Barry stance is probably the highlight of the season for me here on GOT.

He is too positive for many...which sadly has been his undoing with a large portion of the fans. Imagine fuming at an attempt to spin things in a positive way.

SMFH with this lot wanting him to be negative...nothing beyond placating you...good comes from it.

Moist was the master of placating our lot though. He knew to never grow expectations at his own peril.

He is too positive for many...which sadly has been his undoing with a large portion of the fans. Imagine fuming at an attempt to spin things in a positive way.

SMFH with this lot wanting him to be negative...nothing beyond placating you...good comes from it.

Moist was the master of placating our lot though. He knew to never grow expectations at his own peril.
There is a difference between positive spin...and delusional spin.
Imo, Roberto is too guilty of tendency toward the latter.

I genuinely believe that there is probably a better manager out there than Everton's current one and I would like our Board to investigate such.

But I do not lose a lot of sleep on this issue. Football is not a big priority to me.

I just want Everton to do well.

Massive doing in "being positive" and "being delusionally positive", as he is. Trying to look for positives in a loss is great, if it's a narrow loss against a big team, but when you lose from a winning position for god knows how many times, or draw from one to several last minute goals, there's hardly a point in saying "the lads were phenomenal", is there?

Every single post-match press conference, everything is phenomenal, we played amazing, talking as if we've not lost a game for years. Wouldn't hurt him and I doubt any (or at least most) of our fans would've hated him if when we cocked up he got on that chair and said "we didn't play well, I made a wrong decision". Instead, he blamed the fans, the refs and, now, the players too.

Massive difference from Moyes, no place for comparison. Moyes always brought a knife to a gunfight; Martinez brigs a watergun to a gunfight essentially, then blames everything else when water doesn't hurt as much as bullets.

Well I'll be..

And Moyes was one of the highest paid managers in world football when he was here as well. Look at that list again, the majority have a winning record behind them. Moyes got the United managers job after his so called success with us, but now can't even get hired by a relegation threatened Newcastle. If Martinez was fired who in the premier league could you imagine hiring him? Although I could see England taking him.

Everton under Kenwright have been characterized by managerial appointments with little expectation and low pressure and in footballing terms an age to accomplish mediocrity. I can't think of any of our peers who would tolerate either one of them to be honest, let alone hired them in the first place. We're Everton, we don't need to be a project or a development. We're one of the most successful clubs in world football. If I was a supporter of a second division team it would be different. But with our tradition shouldn't we be expecting more, demanding more. Not just from the players, the manager but the club as a whole. Hopefully Moshiri will demand higher standards. As for Martinez and his wage. He really has to produce something this season for me to be convinced. Semi- finals just won't cut it as a barometer of success.

Last edited:

There is a difference between positive spin...and delusional spin.
Imo, Roberto is too guilty of tendency toward the latter.

I genuinely believe that there is probably a better manager out there than Everton's current one and I would like our Board to investigate such.

But I do not lose a lot of sleep on this issue. Football is not a big priority to me.

I just want Everton to do well.

Massive doing in "being positive" and "being delusionally positive", as he is. Trying to look for positives in a loss is great, if it's a narrow loss against a big team, but when you lose from a winning position for god knows how many times, or draw from one to several last minute goals, there's hardly a point in saying "the lads were phenomenal", is there?

Every single post-match press conference, everything is phenomenal, we played amazing, talking as if we've not lost a game for years. Wouldn't hurt him and I doubt any (or at least most) of our fans would've hated him if when we cocked up he got on that chair and said "we didn't play well, I made a wrong decision". Instead, he blamed the fans, the refs and, now, the players too.

Massive difference from Moyes, no place for comparison. Moyes always brought a knife to a gunfight; Martinez brigs a watergun to a gunfight essentially, then blames everything else when water doesn't hurt as much as bullets.

Meh..for me the fans want him to throw himself or the players under the bus...which frankly he has done.

But more often than not it is defo deflection by him, but doing anything less with a load of young players is suicide.

Moyes was quick to bench the likes of Coleman in favor of Neville and/or Hibbert to make you the fan feel comfortable. (and himself)

I hate David Moyes for making us believe that top 5 actually meant something. Maybe Martinez won't be able to produce anything better, but until we are eliminated from the Cup, he still gives me hope that we might actually win something. Something that I actually never believed would happen under Moyes. He simply was not a winner despite his ability to find try hard players on the cheap.

Last edited:
LOL

I wish the fact he is overly positive was his only flaw, ive ignored his press conferences for 18months, his post match interviews, I hardly read what he says in the press, he is an utter fraud of a man, he thinks he can keep telling the fans that its raining, while peeing on us from above.

18months of stale ticky tacky football at home, his plan A seems to be stick ANYBODY but a left winger on the left wing and hope for the best, we attack at a pace that scares snails, the whole league is on to his tactics and hes got nothing in his locker but trying to play like the best team on the planet.

I wish he copied Barcas tactics and played 3 upfront, I wish he knew the value of a corner kick, but more importantly I wish he knew how to set up a team to defend.

I feel sick everytime I look at that table, at least in the 90s I was young and had rave.

And it gets worst, after winning just four times at home all season, they need to win all three of their remaining Premier League matches at Goodison, to avoid posting the worst points total at home in the club’s history.

The worst-ever was in 1957/58, when under the current three points for a win method, they got 24 on their own ground. They currently have 16.

The record breaker.

@davek

I think hes paying the price of the first season from an expectation POV for sure. Then again, that season is possibly the only reason he still has a job. People are fed up with being fed losing football and being told it's the best. That shtick only lasts so long. Certainly not almost 2 years worth.
Just as an aside, you don't have to answer- Do you think his managerial performances have been worth 3 mill a year. Would you pay $1600 over the last two years for a season ticket to watch our home games? Just curious, although I'd happy pay that just to see us lift a trophy again.

The home record is appalling, embarrassing even. And the away record is at best fair. Leicester have 38 points away from home apparently. Although saying that, If we win the FA cup, our home record will largely be forgotten I suspect. And that would be the ramifications of success. That's how desperate we've become for silverware. Understandable after 21 years. Personally I think both Lukaku and Stones will be gone in the summer unless they can see the club matching their ambitions. That's when the points record may come back to haunt us, next season. Replacing Lukaku won't be easy and without his goals and a similar home points return next season, we could be facing relegation. I know that sounds pessimistic but our form during the last two seasons in the league is ominous. If he is to stay, Martinez simply has to address this and in the long view much more important than a domestic cup win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back