Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate you'd employ Adam Johnson as a scout such is your slant towards youth.

As for embaressing posts - yeah Baines can't pass or hold onto the ball as well as Mori, Oviedo etc, ofc passing stats, key passes, chances created and assists records that Baines has set would piss all over that argument wouldn't they?

Is it supposed to be funny to say id hire a convicted peadophile or am a peadophile myself ?

To be fair he said Barry was one of the greatest English midfielders in "Premiership history"......not all time, which is a whole nother thing.

And I would think he has a point there.

Apart from Sccholes, Lampard and Slippy it is hard to think of many better English central midfielders this past twenty years or so.

But the Welsh Xavi remarks......:Blink:

Nucking futz :pint2:

'I have never seen a player with the incredible professionalism, standards and so level-headed as Gareth Barry. For me he is one of the best English players ever'. Straight from the Daily Fail.

My major issue with Martinez is like everyone else is in defense. We have a back 4 that is as good as any other back 4 in the league on paper. But in 3 seasons he has turned it into a comedy show. And if your honest its getting worse and worse from an Everton point of view. This is down to the Manager and the way he is setting up the team. The league table does not lie.

No, but then again he'd done nothing before that to prove himself in this league (unlike Martinez), and on the strength of the cup run he was allowed time to set his stall out the next season.

I cant understand the snobbery of some towards the cups. Well, I can actually: and it's not really snobbery - it's that if it offers Martinez a chance to pipe down his critics via another route then it must be devalued at every turn. THAT's what's behind it.

I mean, who doesn't want to win the cup? Us? The club without a balloon for 21 years? And we're trying to devalue that?!

Unreal, not t mention arrogant. The FA Cup - we haven't been good enough to win that for a generation. That's the truth of the matter. And now we stand a couple of games from doing it. Well I for one am greatly arsed about securing it and would see it as a massive achievement and a monkey off our backs....but that cant be allowed because it'd give the manager fresh impetus.

Talk about depressingly pathetic behaviour.
I'm not trying to devalue the cup mate, I'd love it. I hope we win it this season.

I'm just saying it may be folly to judge a manager on one cup competition alone.

Pretty accurate description of Barry that, which journalist in the Daily Fail said it?

It was Martinez who said that at a press conference.

'Gareth Barry is one of those players that gets underrated,' Martinez said. 'For me the big reason why we have so many effective young players is there are leaders in the mould of Gareth Barry.

'I have never seen a player with the incredible professionalism, standards and so level-headed as Gareth Barry. For me he is one of the best English players ever. He could end up with 600 Premier League appearances this season'.

While Barry's playing career is a reflection of his professionalism and the standards he sets, he is not the best English player ever. He can do a job effectively and that is why City signed him and he helped them win the cup and the league.

You don't rate the midfield 2? @mkrudden
Oh great players, especially Kante.
I like Leicester and hope they win the league.
I just don't like that style of play, its very Moyes up to his last 18 months. I also like Moyes incidentally.

What I like about our Bob is he sets us up to have the ball, to dictate the game, to carve the opponents open.

What I don't like is how open we are when we achieve this. he doesn't either as he's commented on it publically.

My original opinion remains. If we can achieve success with fast, possession based, counter attacking football, like a Spanish version of Utd from the 90/00s then that's what I want. I'd be happy to wait at least until this Christmas for signs that the manager can shore us up.

If he can't then I'll jump ship and I'll admit defeat.

Can't say fairer than that mate.

I'm with you on this, can't say I've ever been bored by Leicester this season but I certainly have with Everton.

Saturday was the first time this season (bar United at home, but there were serious mitigating circumstances) where I've seen us play with no desire and it was a completely abject performance. Was like last season all over again.

I just don't like that style of play, its very Moyes up to his last 18 months. I also like Moyes incidentally.

What I like about our Bob is he sets us up to have the ball, to dictate the game, to carve the opponents open.

What I don't like is how open we are when we achieve this. he doesn't either as he's commented on it publically.

My original opinion remains. If we can achieve success with fast, possession based, counter attacking football, like a Spanish version of Utd from the 90/00s then that's what I want. I'd be happy to wait at least until this Christmas for signs that the manager can shore us up.

But Dave was suggesting that if we swapped Barry and McCarthy for Drinkwater and Kante we'd be right up there. This can't be true can it? What about one of the best English players of all time? Is this the answer rather than a change in manager?

Is this not an oxymoron?

The thing is mate we don't do that nearly enough without leaving ourselves open, as you correctly point out.

I can't see how people don't like Leicester's style.

It's really not 'hit and rush'.

I watched a lot of them (12/14) games in the first part of this season for work.

They played some superb stuff. And I stress again, I haven't seen us string anything like the below together all season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back