Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But Dave was suggesting that if we swapped Barry and McCarthy for Drinkwater and Kante we'd be right up there. This can't be true can it? What about one of the best English players of all time? Is this the answer rather than a change in manager?

Kante would be a fantastic addition. Drinkwater...it's a difficult one. Now he has established himself, how will he cope with being tighter marked. Does he have the ability to constantly create different angles to receive the ball? If yes then he seems very much a Barry replacement in the making.

So to answer your question, yes, they would make a massive difference. I like JMc as you know however Kante has been a revelation.

Throw in a sturdy keeper and another CB and we will be right up there next season.

Is this not an oxymoron?
Gary Neville and Ferguson himself in his book (very good read which I recommend) have openly said that for the majority of games they were possession based because teams would sit deep. Against the better teams and when the lesser teams chanced it, his team's were packed with pace to punish on the break.

We can do this. We just need to be better at protecting our own goal. No doubt.

Swansea as well mate

Swansea first half, yeh we were awful.

But second half we at least created a lot and showed some impetus.

Del whipped 3 crosses in that Pienaar, Lukaku and Barkley all got on the end of.

He put loads more in as well that some how didn't go in.

Coleman then with two sitters at the end.

We created nothing on Saturday and didn't even look like we were trying.

The thing is mate we don't do that nearly enough without leaving ourselves open, as you correctly point out.

I can't see how people don't like Leicester's style.

It's really not 'hit and rush'.

I watched a lot of them (12/14) games in the first part of this season for work.

They played some superb stuff. And I stress again, I haven't seen us string anything like the below together all season

But the beginning of the season they were more gungho. It's well publicised, to the point where Raineri offered classic Italian dishes in reward for a clean sheet.

I reckon I've watched them 8 or 9 times, mostly in the latter part of the season and they've been bloody awful to watch. They destroy games.

I repeat, good on them. I think them winning it would be brilliant for the league, for Raineri etc I just don't enjoy watching it. Each to their own.

But the beginning of the season they were more gungho. It's well publicised, to the point where Raineri offered classic Italian dishes in reward for a clean sheet.

I reckon I've watched them 8 or 9 times, mostly in the latter part of the season and they've been bloody awful to watch. They destroy games.

I repeat, good on them. I think them winning it would be brilliant for the league, for Raineri etc I just don't enjoy watching it. Each to their own.

Yes they were, you're correct. But when they started to defend as well (from November onwards pretty much), they still played some superb stuff. That clip above is from January, and they absolutely hammered City at their place - where we seem to go with an inferiority complex.

What they have had to start doing now is playing against sides that come and sit back against them at home (and even away, now). Watford (A - 1-0), Newcastle (H - 1-0), Palace (A - 1-0).

They've had to adapt their style as teams know they can't play open against them and, guess what, they've won.

That's something - for as much as I still like Martinez - he hasn't come close to be able to do consistently in the past 18 months. Heck, Palace figured us out in that first season

Gary Neville and Ferguson himself in his book (very good read which I recommend) have openly said that for the majority of games they were possession based because teams would sit deep. Against the better teams and when the lesser teams chanced it, his team's were packed with pace to punish on the break.

We can do this. We just need to be better at protecting our own goal. No doubt.

So what you want is s balanced side that can play on the front foot to break teams down but also have a counterattacking ability when the opposition has the ball? It's what I've banged on about for ages on here but sadly is not what Martinez is currently building.

So what you want is s balanced side that can play on the front foot to break teams down but also have a counterattacking ability when the opposition has the ball? It's what I've banged on about for ages on here but sadly is not what Martinez is currently building.
He is mate. I repeat, GK, CB and a playmaker and watch us fly.

Yes they were, you're correct. But when they started to defend as well (from November onwards pretty much), they still played some superb stuff. That clip above is from January, and they absolutely hammered City at their place - where we seem to go with an inferiority complex.

What they have had to start doing now is playing against sides that come and sit back against them at home (and even away, now). Watford (A - 1-0), Newcastle (H - 1-0), Palace (A - 1-0).

They've had to adapt their style as teams know they can't play open against them and, guess what, they've won.

That's something - for as much as I still like Martinez - he hasn't come close to be able to do consistently in the past 18 months. Heck, Palace figured us out in that first season
Great post. Can't argue with any of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back