Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Suppose I've seen too many teams flatter a little in terms of league position and then fizzle out next.
I agree it should be a clear indication of how well you're doing but every season there are probably either a dozen points we've either grabbed against the odds or a dozen we should have had.
Now that could be a sign of a winning mentality or lack of. But usually turns out to be the ups or downs of an average season.
The times I've seen us win something it really couldn't have been predicted the season before. The only clues you'd have seen are underperforming but promising youngsters and a couple of determined veterans.
On one occasion we stuck with the manager and it turned round. On another we didn't and it turned round.
Neither manager went onto achieve much away from the club.
All I can say is you'll remember winning something. And hopefully you'll start to feel a pride in a team that wasn't there before. That could turn that team into winners. Not sure finishing seventh would.

...my age comment was a tad vague, apols, I DO recall winning things mate, fondly & thankfully, fine times indeed, I was a kid/youngster then, in my early 40's now. I also remember how supporting EVERTON used to feel back then (not much changes does it?) and I desperately want my kids to have a bit of that. So, in relation to league positions - and quite, quite selfishly - I want us to finish as high as possible always because I remember how it goes when you're younger....and I don't want their variation to be a kinda '....shurrup, you'se are rubbish...BOURNEMOUTH finished higer than you'se...'

For me personally winning the cup this year will be bitter sweet.

20 years ago we won after being basically dead and buried and an everton legend came in and saved us, leading nus to cup glory on the way. Fantastic stuff, great memories as well.

This time round we would be winning it in spite of everything else, which although fantastic for winning it, just going to be a thorn in my side also.
Sod bittersweet. I'll be struck off by the GMC for windmilling from Wembley all the way back to Liverpool. (As long as we're safe in the league ;))

Trust me I've had that feeling of being a nearly team longer than I can remember. And it didn't even change in the eighties. Always felt like there ought to be a way of using that as a strength.
It's not really based on any reality though. Can't help but think two great days out at Wembley would sort it. For a bit anyway.
I totally understand why people have had enough. As you say though it can't change how we feel about the club. I was alive when Gordon Lee was manager. If anyone was going to make me boo then that would have done.
Why would Gordon Lee make you boo mate? The seasons we finished 3rd and 4th were very entertaining.

For me personally winning the cup this year will be bitter sweet.

20 years ago we won after being basically dead and buried and an everton legend came in and saved us, leading nus to cup glory on the way. Fantastic stuff, great memories as well.

This time round we would be winning it in spite of everything else, which although fantastic for winning it, just going to be a thorn in my side also.

...ditto. If we win (and maybe we can) then it's gonna prove difficult to get shut of him unless, of course, the MOSH has his own blueprint for going forward without RM, which may well be the case. My concern is we do win it (which would be brilliant BTW), he stays and literally NOTHING changes next year. I'm not overly sure I trust him with a big pot of dough, I think we'll struggle to hold on to ROM and, as he proves time after time after time, he fails to adapt and boss games as he should....he never has, his record tells us this...

I also find I'm looking at NIASSE at the moment and thinking 'we've paid 13 mil for you and I don't know what you are...'.

So I'd be curious to see what he'd target transfer wise too given he deemed CLEVERLY the 'missing piece'.

Genuinely, hand on heart, I just don't think he has the sass for the job...

I don't think Gordon Lee was as bad as some make out.

...he wasn't, some of his films were really good.

phantom-of-the-opera-1925.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back