Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a beaten man.

I still can't believe the half-assed performance of the players on Saturday.

They definitely didn't look like a team that were playing for their manager.

We as fans are obviously frustrated and that frustration can transfer itself on to the pitch and it can effect the players. The Goodison crowd many many times have been like a 12th man. Bayern at home, springs to mind, when 1-0 down at half time the crowd were determined to 'suck the ball into the Gwladys street goal'. The Chelsea quarter final the other week. The crowd played its part no end and this lifted the players. Just as the 'get behind the team' lifts them then the moans and groans can deflate them, which is par for the course when a team isn't doing as well as it should be. It wont be the first time a team has found it difficult to play at home and are 'nervous' and it wont be the last.

Supporters have every right to moan and groan when things aren't going well. Goodison park is not toxic at the moment and neither are those same supporters on the whole 'toxic' towards Martinez.

Attendances will fluctuate as the team's fortunes fluctuate. From Moyes last season, Martinez's team has put 2 000 on the gate. This season the sell out signs are much more common now than they have been for many a year. Evertonians want to turn up and see this team. Why? If there is a feeling that not all is well and Martinez has 'lost the supporters' then why are we still going through the turnstiles? The opposite would be the case. I've got a season pass at Hull KR and the attendances are falling because the team isn't doing too good. That is the natural response of supporters.

Attendances have gone up so much that attending a certain amount of games will not get you a ticket for the semi final. Unlike the last 2 semi finals when you could get one if you had attended 3 or more. We have record numbers of season tickets. We must be a very odd bunch of supporters to buck the trend of attending games when our team isn't doing well. We are turning up. And we are not doing a mass walk out at half time or near the end, even though there were more than usual left early on Saturday.

Our home form isn't good enough. Which goes without saying really. Those 38 000 that are turning up want to see us win games and we are not doing it. Why? Those same players go away from home and don't look nervous and can play and we are always in the game. So why are we not doing better at home?

At home we have conceded the most goals of all the top 5 leagues. Away from home only 5 teams have conceded less in the top 5 leagues.

The way teams are set up and the way they play is changing. High energy, pressing and counter attacking is what is bring results. Leicester and Spurs are the best at this. And neither of their achievements, so far, should be sniffed at and pooh poohed. Both managers are bucking the trend that had developed of possession based football. It is not that possession isn't important it is where you have that possession and what you do with it. Leicester and Spurs get it forward quicker than most as do Liverpool. The former 2 have been more successful because they leave 4 back most of the time as do Arsenal.

This season there have been less home wins than usual. Counter attacking football is the order of the day and we are good at it away from home. As was Martinez's Wigan when they humiliated us at Goodison in the quarter finals.

Martinez has raised those expectations and we as supporters have responded by turn up. A few tweaks here and there. Keeping 4 back for instance with only 1 full back bombing on. And finding a starting spot for Delofeu would help.
Agree with all that. Pretty much any neutral watching us at home has commented on the nerves. It's obviously a mixture of things but just think the first part is to accept it's playing a huge part and work out what to do. I think someone on the pitch that they look to when they're nervous, encouraging them if they try something and getting the adrenalin going. I think on the whole with the crowd at times it's just too easy to hear individual voices. I think again the players can get the crowd to drown that out. I noticed couple Newcastle players trying to gee their crowd up directly. Would love to see a bit of that from Jags and Leighton.
Then there's the manager. I think he is a passionate person but I'd like to see that occasionally. Some of the players said he can make them feel ten feet tall. Just be good to see that side of him more visibly.
Then obviously there are tactics and I do want to find a way to see Del playing as well. Just think there's other things that we can get right that mean a dozen more points at home.
I doubt I could go through nights like Bayern too often but definitely I don't think we'd have won that without the fans. Second half they looked terrified

The home record is appalling, embarrassing even. And the away record is at best fair. Leicester have 38 points away from home apparently. Although saying that, If we win the FA cup, our home record will largely be forgotten I suspect. And that would be the ramifications of success. That's how desperate we've become for silverware. Understandable after 21 years. Personally I think both Lukaku and Stones will be gone in the summer unless they can see the club matching their ambitions. That's when the points record may come back to haunt us, next season. Replacing Lukaku won't be easy and without his goals and a similar home points return next season, we could be facing relegation. I know that sounds pessimistic but our form during the last two seasons in the league is ominous. If he is to stay, Martinez simply has to address this and in the long view much more important than a domestic cup win.

I think Stones was always going to be off this summer.

After all, if he had have had his way he would have been off last summer.......and I believe he was persuaded to stay with a promise the club would not stand in his way this year.

League is a dead duck though. Cup is still there and even the players would still get up for that.
Don't think it would disrupt it that much.
Another cup on his CV whilst looking for another club would appeal to him greatly. Can see him at Valencia next season though.
I think that the league is a dead duck and maybe that's part of what went on Saturday. Players must be very focused on the cup. As much as people are referencing our league position I have started to see the league as being about how to get them performing better at home. Not that bothered whether we're twelfth or eighth.
Personally I can see them maybe discussing bringing in someone to work with him. Just doesn't feel like Everton to say anything else openly.

If RMs first season was this season we;d have done it. No top four having their usual seasons. We could have won the title if the conditions now existed then.

Ifs, buts, could haves! Fact is we didn't, but Leicester might, and good for them! Meanwhile we sit in 12th staring quite possibly at worst home season in the history of Everton Football Club, its shocking!

I'd love to have your faith. How do you think it will happen? Moshiri will enable him to go on a massive spending spree? I think we'll only get better if he actually reassesses his tactics.
Well results can't actually be much worse at home. Suppose any group of players should work out how to play together the longer they do.
I'm not sure we'll see a spending spree but we do need a couple in that mean tactics at home can be changed.
I think we should see certain players showing a bit more leadership on the pitch as well.
I've always felt things will get better even under managers I haven't liked so to some extent I'm just balancing out the anxiety

I think that the league is a dead duck and maybe that's part of what went on Saturday. Players must be very focused on the cup. As much as people are referencing our league position I have started to see the league as being about how to get them performing better at home. Not that bothered whether we're twelfth or eighth.
Personally I can see them maybe discussing bringing in someone to work with him. Just doesn't feel like Everton to say anything else openly.
Could be that as well. I would still imagine that would force him to leave though as I don't think he would accept it or feel he needs it.

Repeating your other posts again won't work especially as your quotes are largely irrelevant to what I said.
I'll pick up on one though. If expectations have been lowered then why would there be any dissent at currently lying twelfth?
It's just becoming a buzzing noise to be honest.

You don't seem unhappy to be 12th.

According to you the majority arent unhappy being 12th. Expectations managed downwards. It's OK some people don't see it happening until it's too late

Could be that as well. I would still imagine that would force him to leave though as I don't think he would accept it or feel he needs it.
Yeah not many managers agree to it and yet seems crazy to me to think any one person should have the level of control managers do when you think what's at stake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back