Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people remember him being quite dour as a person and link that to the team. Some of my best memories come from the Lee era, who was sacked after 3 1/2 seasons after finishing 3rd and 4th.

Well that, and that he hated (We all agreeeee) Duncan McKenzie (is magic) :confused:

I think people remember him being quite dour as a person and link that to the team. Some of my best memories come from the Lee era, who was sacked after 3 1/2 seasons after finishing 3rd and 4th.

You get a mural and a new contract for finishing fifth these days. Nil Satis.

Ifs, buts, could haves! Fact is we didn't, but Leicester might, and good for them! Meanwhile we sit in 12th staring quite possibly at worst home season in the history of Everton Football Club, its shocking!
This obsession with the home league stat has to stop. It's just nonsense.

Well that, and that he hated (We all agreeeee) Duncan McKenzie (is magic) :confused:

"People keep on about stars and flair. As far as I'm concerned you find stars in the sky and flair at the bottom of your trousers."

— Lee built his sides on teamwork and hard work rather than individual talent.[9]

The media are all closing in on him and have cottoned what a rotten job he is actually doing at Everton.

His job will come under further scrutiny, as every man and his dog in football knows what is happening and the pressure will intensify if we go out in the semi final.

2 weeks I've not posted on this forum.... and I've been here a while so it took a lot to keep me away. I still lurk though, and what I see is painful, embarrassing and cringeworthy to be honest. The only bit of level headed common sense I've read has come from @davek ...... hats off to you dave, fight the good fight, I don't have the stomach for this shower on here, i'm going back to lurking only.
Thanks mate.

It's a collective hysteria that comes and goes now with regularity. It's why it cant be taken seriously.

After the QF win over Chelsea 10 days ago people were ecstatic we were at Wembley with a shot at a trophy, and there was a consensus that league games should be sacrificed to keep certain players free from injury for the SF....then we get beat in a home game by a team looking to keep their title aspirations alive and the mood turns 180 degrees and are incensed that the league points they weren't that arsed about a few days earlier had been lost.

It's a good job those in control of this club dont even register this Jekyll and Hyde nonsense or we'd end up like Newcastle.

At the moment he's more Gordon Lee than Kendall, in my opinion.

So what you want is s balanced side that can play on the front foot to break teams down but also have a counterattacking ability when the opposition has the ball

I think this is what he is genuinely attempting but unfortunately failing to do. Our well established defensive failings are undermining it, leading to shocking collapses or being on the back foot from early on in the game. The indicators were all there the season before too. And Martinez failed to address them.

I repeat, GK, CB and a playmaker and watch us fly

I agree. So why wasn't it addressed last summer? Was that negligence or an inability to spot weakness. What makes you think it will be different this summer?

True, Howard will be gone. So presumably that will be addressed, unless he intends to start with Robles next year and just buys a back up. I really hope that isn't the case. Shawcross is a good shout. But is he a Martinez type player though. Same would apply to Cahill or Dann. Lacazette could be a decent replacement if Lukaku departed. Let's say for arguments sake, Lukaku and Stones stay and he brings in a quality, GK, CB and creative midfielder. The team looks great on paper. Will the defensive shortcomings that have plagued us disappear? Or will they re-emerge, just with new cast members. That's the problem with Martinez, he fundamentally has to address failings, issues in his own system. I agree some of the players this season have let him down badly. Ultimately though, it will be his own intransigence or refusal to evolve as a manager, that will be his undoing not the personal he employs.

One final point. Say we swapped managers with Leicester. Where would Everton be sitting in the league? And would Leicester be challenging for the title?

Hate to say it but as RM has failed to live up to my expectations from a tactical and technical perspective then my wish would be to move him upstairs into a position where he is responsible for scouting, identifying and sourcing players - there is little doubt he has an eye for a good player - but keep him away from the actual footballing side by bringing in a coach/manager who can actually implement the on field activities. He also has good media savvy (bull*******), has bought into the club's history and I am sure would make a great ambassador for developing Everton's prospective global links which Moshiri will surely wish to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back