Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not exactly that difficult mate: PL record breaking manager for us; we're at Wembley with a good chance of a final and trophy; he's signed some great players on the cheap for the most part.

That's what i see; that's what the decision makers see.

Only the divvies on twitter and certain no mark nobheads in the local press dont see it (or dont want to see it)...and no one in a position of power is listening to that lot.

Forgive them Dave for they know not what they are talking about,

Bobby for the cup.

Pardew had Newcastle going into the last game of the season with a chance of Champions League football about four years ago, so at least we know there's a ready-made replacement out there.

The same senior players are there at the back mate.
exactly, they did a great job for Moyes and in Martinezs first season when their focus was on defending. Martinez looks at his leaky defense and throws two defensive midfielders in front of them in the hope of plugging the gaps but it doesn't matter if they are all encouraged to push forward at the same time. In a Martinez team the best defenders in the world would look entertaining going forward but rubbish defending. It's exactly what's happening to Stones. And it may be time for Jags and Baines to move on but it won't change our defensive record one bit. There in lies the problem.

If he's backed with Moshiri's cash then he'll have to produce PL form well in excess of this. A cup win would make him fireproof for a while like.

As for sorting the defence out: he's made a decision on Howard which is a big step forward; and the only cash he's spent on defenders so far is to bring in Galloway and Mori, who I'd regard as successes. In short: trust him.
Despite my own views about RM, if we win the cup I don't think he will be sacked ...we don't know how Moshiri's mindset works but if they do win it would be hard to see a dismissal in the aftermath...however if we don't win...then [Poor language removed] happens :pint2:

Just a point of order for the "fewest home wins" stat. There used to be 2 more home league games each season before the top flight was shrunk down from 22 to 20 teams. So you're comparing a 21-game home slate then to 19 now.

Regardless, this year's home record is dire.

It's not exactly that difficult mate: PL record breaking manager for us; we're at Wembley with a good chance of a final and trophy; he's signed some great players on the cheap for the most part.

That's what i see; that's what the decision makers see.

Only the divvies on twitter and certain no mark nobheads in the local press dont see it (or dont want to see it)...and no one in a position of power is listening to that lot.

One good season mate out of 3 thus far. If he wins the cup ( if ) it may get him more time as manager. But if this form spills into nxt season Martinez will be looking for a new job. You can't call people divvies Dave for having an opinion on what they're currently seeing.

Pardew had Newcastle going into the last game of the season with a chance of Champions League football about four years ago, so at least we know there's a ready-made replacement out there.

Pardew finished 5th in his first season at Newcastle followed by two bottom half finishes.

Martinez finished 5th in his first season followed by what looks like two bottom half finishes.

Only difference between Martinez and Pardews mangerial record is a Gerrard 91st minute screamer in Cardiff

I agree with your last line but believe me losing a Cup Final is just way more sickening than being knocked out in the third round ...I have been there both LC and FAC since 1966 ..for me the stuff of nightmares...if we win though......

yes, it might feel like that on on the day.

But it passes and you remember the whole occasion a Cup Final entails.....the excitement and anticipation of the build up, the butterflies, the sleepless nights, imagining yourself scoring the winner in extra time.

I had a great weekend in London the last final we got to, apart from the result.

But for sheer emptiness there is nowt so dismal as exiting the Cup at the 3rd round stage on the first weekend of January.

Especially if you are well down the league :mad:

That emptiness is a worse feeling than losing the final in my experience.

That Martinez season when we won 13 homes games - it was the largest number of home games won for 27 years.

Lol.

Martinez even holds the best record since HKI was in charge for the very thing he's being slaughtered for at the moment.

More inconvenient truths.

giphy.gif

Shame we're on course not to win that many home games over 2 seasons.

Great work Roberto, have another contract extension.

But it passes and you remember the whole occasion a Cup Final entails.....the excitement and anticipation of the build up, the butterflies, the sleepless nights, imagining yourself scoring the winner in extra time.

I had a great weekend in London the last final we got to, apart from the result.

But for sheer emptiness there is nowt so dismal as exiting the Cup at the 3rd round stage on the first weekend of January.

Have to disagree Mr K..the only CFs I remember for joy was 66, 84, and 95 - the others are consigned to my own personal dustbin..also many SFs are there as well

I'd have rather gone out in the third round in 1986 and 1989 though!!

Didn't The Conquistadors bring plague and famine with them when the invaded SA?. Didn't they also destroy The Mayans, who at the time, had a rich and successful culture?. Didn't they steal all their gold and valuable artifacts?.

Dave is right, the similarities are undeniable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back