Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cup runs are great whilst you are still in them but once you're out they are quickly forgotten if you didn't win it.

Nay, lad.

Nay, nay, nay.

Children whose parents weren't yet born at the time are threatened by said parents with the bogey man that is Clive Thomas.

"eat up your greens or Clive Thomas will come and take you away" always worked with my lot :whip:

1977 will never, ever be forgotten......that year is burned deep in the fabric of EFC as the year of Clive and the Villa trilogy.

Two cup runs which ended up in tears but which captivated all of Evertonia in that heartbreaking spring of '77 and still lives in the memory of all who were around at the time and the children and grandchildren they have recounted those events to.

And who among the tens of thousands of us who trudged over the Pennines in 1980 will ever forget the sight of Big Bob climbing up the railings to celebrate his equaliser against Hammers at Leeds.....nor Frank rotten Lampard dancing round the corner flag after he broke our hearts :mad:

Moving on a generation, Piere Luigi Colina remains a hate figure after denying us in Villareal.

Has anyone forgotten Dan Gosling.......:celebrate:

Or moving back again, the week we lost to the RS in the semi final and Panathinaikos in the European Cup quarter final in 1971 haunted by arl fella to his dying day.

No sir, cup runs are not "quickly forgotten" when they come to an end.

They are, in fact, character forming.

As my old granpappy used to say......."if it wasn't for the bad days, you wouldn't know a good day when it came along" ;)

Nay, lad.

Nay, nay, nay.

Children whose parents weren't yet born at the time are threatened by said parents with the bogey man that is Clive Thomas.

"eat up your greens or Clive Thomas will come and take you away" always worked with my lot :whip:

1977 will never, ever be forgotten......that year is burned deep in the fabric of EFC as the year of Clive and the Villa trilogy.

Two cup runs which ended up in tears but which captivated all of Evertonia in that heartbreaking spring of '77 and still lives in the memory of all who were around at the time and the children and grandchildren they have recounted those events to.

And who among the tens of thousands of us who trudged over the Pennines in 1980 will ever forget the sight of Big Bob climbing up the railings to celebrate his equaliser against Hammers at Leeds.....nor Frank rotten Lampard dancing round the corner flag after he broke our hearts :mad:

Moving on a generation, Piere Luigi Colina remains a hate figure after denying us in Villareal.

Has anyone forgotten Dan Gosling.......:celebrate:

Or moving back again, the week we lost to the RS in the semi final and Panathinaikos in the European Cup quarter final in 1971 haunted by arl fella to his dying day.

No sir, cup runs are not "quickly forgotten" when they come to an end.

They are, in fact, character forming.

As my old granpappy used to say......."if it wasn't for the bad days, you wouldn't know a good day when it came along" ;)
Fair enough but you are remembering incidents from games rather than the cup run itself.
The cup runs themselves I was getting at. Do we remember the 4th round in 77? The 5th round in 86? I could look it up and it would come back but that's my point.
We will always remember when we've been hard done by just like the City and Chelsea games this season or anything to do with the RS.

I also have memories of games most notably the 4-1 against Spurs in 95. Apart from the final the rest of it is long forgotten.

What I don't get is, people are defending Martinez for the Cup run, saying the run itself is enough justification for praise whether we win the cup at the end or not (Which I could potentially get on board with)

But those same people will then have a go at Moyes as a failure, when he had us in the latter stages of the cups on more than one occasion, while also having a weaker squad to work with

So, what's with the double standard?

I'm happy to give both praise for getting us to Wembley

Let's knock the hypocrisy on the head, eh?

Certain posters are defending Martinez for finishing 11th but wanted Moyes sacked for coming 7th

Fair enough but you are remembering incidents from games rather than the cup run itself.
The cup runs themselves I was getting at. Do we remember the 4th round in 77? The 5th round in 86? I could look it up and it would come back but that's my point.
We will always remember when we've been hard done by just like the City and Chelsea games this season or anything to do with the RS.

I also have memories of games most notably the 4-1 against Spurs in 95. Apart from the final the rest of it is long forgotten.

No....you said "cup runs are great" but are "quickly forgotten" if you don't win the cup.

(which BTW excludes the Spurs semi final from this discussion as we actually did win the Cup that year and that day in Leeds is my best ever football memory ;))

A cup run is the sum of its parts.....some games along the way stick out, usually the defining one when they come to an end :(

Others achieve iconic status.....Dan Gosling for example.

Some games are lost to the memory.

Which, by the way, applies to the vast majority of league games.

Take 2009 as an example.....I cannot remember how we fared against Manchester United in the league without looking it up.....but I well recall being at Wembley to see us beat them in the semi final.

I suspect most people are the same.

This cup run to the semi final is a thing of beauty.....to be cherished, savoured and appreciated.

Go with the flow.....enjoy it while it lasts.

And if you are going to Wembley for the semi final, you will remember it for years....win or lose ;)

Certain posters are defending Martinez for finishing 11th but wanted Moyes sacked for coming 7th
I never wanted Moyes sacked but did feel he had taken us as far as he could. Maybe it's the same thing.

The same I am now saying about Martinez as in I don't think he can take us any further.

No....you said "cup runs are great" but are "quickly forgotten" if you don't win the cup.

(which BTW excludes the Spurs semi final from this discussion as we actually did win the Cup that year and that day in Leeds is my best ever football memory ;))

A cup run is the sum of its parts.....some games along the way stick out, usually the defining one when they come to an end :(

Take 2009 as an example.....I cannot remember how we fared against Manchester United in the league without looking it up.....but I well recall being at Wembley to see us beat them in the semi final.

This cup run to the semi final is a thing of beauty.....to be cherished, savoured and appreciated.

And if you are going to Wembley for the semi final, you will remember it for years....win or lose ;)
It's magical.

Bit gutted i never got involved in this thread last night to be honest, melting down Dixies statue for a Martinez has to be a forum highlight.

Excellent fishing - well done.

This thread is ace. Reasonably (!) balanced arguments on both sides, watched from his lair by Davek, who then dips his toe in the water with comments such as the Dixie statue one and other gems and the flippin' place goes into meltdown! A no doubt smiling Davek then dips back out again his work done and gradually a semblance of order is restored! Then bang, he lobs the next grenade in and off we go again!

Ok mate. Maybe I'm getting old and forgetting more than just cup runs now.

Ye, and we havn't got a replacement,unbelievible management when you think about it.

Give over...

Why do we need a replacement when he's still playing fine.

And, get this, one of the reason's he's so good/key to us is because there aren't many (if any) players out there that:

a) have his experience (in fact he's the most experienced player currently playing in the Premier League)
b) have his sense of positioning and knack of reading the play (comes with experience)
c) cover as much ground

We can't just 'replace' Barry. Been saying this for ages.

We'll have to adapt our system slightly when the time comes that his form drops.

At the moment it's shown no signs of doing so.

There's some right corkers in here, the statue comment had me howling.

I would prefer that statue outside Fulham of Michael Jackson
I never wanted Moyes sacked but did feel he had taken us as far as he could. Maybe it's the same thing.

The same I am now saying about Martinez as in I don't think he can take us any further.

I think Moyes was hugely restricted, he managed throughout our worst period financially, I think. He steadied the ship I would have him back in a flash over this current clown.

I've had my chakras balanced, painful like, but better for it. Thus - and as worthless as my slant is - here's what I think's gonna happen in relation to the BOBBLER...

Whatever materializes - cup win or otherwise - he isn't going anywhere before the season end...no matter what. I now genuinely believe (hope) that the season wrap-up will see a faux-amicable parting of the ways that'll spin madly involving many platitudes thanking RM for his input/foundation/build etc (as a point of decency the record-breaking home record will be ignored, the 72 will prob get a mention though)...in turn he will thank the club for the opportunity, say how phenomenal it was to work with such a group of players and he'll wibble about the new opportunity waiting for him in Spain/Barnsley/China, adding that he feels he's taken the squad as far as he himself can but will rest easy knowing he done his best for the club....he will then wish the biggest ball of luck to the new manager & owners and say the club will forever be in his heart, all that jazzum...

He will then collect his hams from the office fridge and be orffff....

Yes.

In the interim of course the MOSH will have (already?) sounded out his own man, made known the budget available to him and the services of ROM will have been secured during some late night incognito meetings in, say, the Frankie & Benny's up by the SHOWCASE, somewhere like that...

To recap, I think I'm almost definitely right with all of that. Especially the ham bit.

Sound.

#ProbSignNewContractOnBackOfCupWin

This thread is ace. Reasonably (!) balanced arguments on both sides, watched from his lair by Davek, who then dips his toe in the water with comments such as the Dixie statue one and other gems and the flippin' place goes into meltdown! A no doubt smiling Davek then dips back out again his work done and gradually a semblance of order is restored! Then bang, he lobs the next grenade in and off we go again!

Dave is just a wind up merchant, I know his game. He is waiting for the poll to reach 99.9% out and then Dave wants to wield his
forum power, and be the guy who uses his own vote to hit the 100% out ...... think Brutus Ceasar....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back