Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I like to see us competing on all fronts.

We've messed up big time in the league - everyone (even Dave) admits that.

But two very good cup runs is not to be sniffed at.

Look at the goal that Rom scored last week. Had we not got to the quarters, that wouldn't have happened...

Plus the matchday revenue from the extra games, 35,000 blues getting to Wembley.

No we're not guaranteed to win it, but not winning doesn't make a cup run worthless, in my eyes, if you get to the last four - when the cup runs have seen us play some of our best stuff this season and show what this team is capable of.

Pay no heed, Toff.

Every bugger whom is dismissing cup runs as being of little account will be dancing in the streets happen we lift the blooming thing in May.

And they know it :)

Yes, reaching semi finals isn't an end in itself.

Yes, the history books will not record "two semi finals" in our Roll of Honour.

Nor will they number beaten finals among our trophy haul.

But you know what?

You gotta be in to win it.

In order to play in a Cup Final you need to first make the semi final.

In order to win that Cup Final you need to risk being beaten at Wembley.

Are you better losing at Wembley that than going out on a cold January afternoon at home to Tranmere?

Or away to Shrewsbury?

You betcha.

Been there in all three circumstances......trust me, pal.....the Wembley option kicks the other two right up the ass (except in 1986 and 1989 of course :blush:)

Another thing cup runs do is they brighten up your season if the league season is a bit of a damp squib.

Imagine the utter, unrelenting misery this season would have been since Christmas without the two cup runs lifting the gloom that has descended on our league season.

So roll on Wembley in April......and hopefully in May too.

;)

Pay no heed, Toff.

Every bugger whom is dismissing cup runs as being of little account will be dancing in the streets happen we lift the blooming thing in May.

And they know it :)

Yes, reaching semi finals isn't an end in itself.

Yes, the history books will not record "two semi finals" in our Roll of Honour.

Nor will they number beaten finals among our trophy haul.

But you know what?

You gotta be in to win it.

In order to play in a Cup Final you need to first make the semi final.

In order to win that Cup Final you need to risk being beaten at Wembley.

Are you better losing at Wembley that than going out on a cold January afternoon at home to Tranmere?

Or away to Shrewsbury?

You betcha.

Been there in all three circumstances......trust me, pal.....the Wembley option kicks the other two right up the ass (except in 1986 and 1989 of course :blush:)

Another thing cup runs do is they brighten up your season if the league season is a bit of a damp squib.

Imagine the utter, unrelenting misery this season would have been since Christmas without the two cup runs lifting the gloom that has descended on our league season.

So roll on Wembley in April......and hopefully in May too.

;)

Exactly my point!

Unless we win the thing, then no, the season may not have been a success.

But they are getting dismissed far too easily IMO. They're cup runs and have provided our best moments this season.

A sad indictment of the league form (home especially), but at least it's given us something to cheer about.

image.webp

Cup runs are great whilst you are still in them but once you're out they are quickly forgotten if you didn't win it. That's not down playing the achievement it's just how it is.
Also if it wasn't for the cup runs this season I think he would be gone by now. As for staying if he wins it then that's a no from me. Overall it wouldn't be enough. Some saying but we haven't won anything for 21 years so deserves more time but this is supposed to be our best squad for 30 years so the minimum he should be doing is cup runs and top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back