Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely Dave the fact that Leicester have achieved what the have achieved to date this season weakens not strengthens the case for Martinez' management capabilities?

i think the combination of leicesters success coupled with chelseas demise, indicates martinez season can be accurately measured in cheese

..or any other managers in the PL. Why isolate Martinez?

Because Martinez is manager of Everton, my only concern. My case is that he does not possess all the necessary skills to mount a sustained top 4 challenge, something born out by the evidence of Martinez' results. This is further compounded by other managers with less playing resources available to them, sustaining challenges throughout this season in particular.

Give over...

Why do we need a replacement when he's still playing fine.

And, get this, one of the reason's he's so good/key to us is because there aren't many (if any) players out there that:

a) have his experience (in fact he's the most experienced player currently playing in the Premier League)
b) have his sense of positioning and knack of reading the play (comes with experience)
c) cover as much ground

We can't just 'replace' Barry. Been saying this for ages.

We'll have to adapt our system slightly when the time comes that his form drops.

At the moment it's shown no signs of doing so.

The one thing I'd say about Barry is I'm not sure he's still got the legs for the full 90 minutes week in week out.

Because Martinez is manager of Everton, my only concern. My case is that he does not possess the necessary skills to mount a sustained top 4 challenge, something born out by the evidence of Martinez' results. This is further compounded by other managers with less playing resources available to them sustaining challenges throughout this season in particular.
His management capabilities depend on him securing a top 4 spot or he's out? Whenever has that been the benchmark at this club? As said before: the task set Martinez seems to be much greater than that set any Everton manager in the past, and that is a nonsense given that we stand pretty much where we've ever been up to this moment in time in terms of financial backing for a manager. As for other managers doing more with less: what, like Martinez in his first season here? One off season I'm told by others, but the Ranieri and Bilic seasons could equally be that one off. You just dont know....not that they haven't spent, btw.

The 'necessary skills' argument you use is so abstract as to be meaningless. It's just a more polite way of saying 'he's rubbish'.

The one thing I'd say about Barry is I'm not sure he's still got the legs for the full 90 minutes week in week out.

Yeh you're right.

He does tend to tire after the 70th minute - but then again most players do.

But overall he's been one of our best players and is still key to us.

It just annoys me that people use not getting a replacement as a stick to beat Martinez with.

A) we haven't needed a replacement because Barry is playing so well
B) people already moan that Besic doesn't get enough game time
C) a 'like for like' replacement will be nay-on impossible to find - the only other player (in the Prem) that I think comes close to being the same type/category of player that Barry now is is Schweinsteiger

His management capabilities depend on him securing a top 4 spot or he's out? Whenever has that been the benchmark at this club? As said before: the task set Martinez seems to be much greater than that set any Everton manager in the past, and that is a nonsense given that we stand pretty much where we've ever been up to this moment in time in terms of financial backing for a manager. As for other managers doing more with less: what, like Martinez in his first season here? One off season I'm told by others, but the Ranieri and Bilic seasons could equally be that one off. You just dont know....not that they haven't spent, btw.

The 'necessary skills' argument you use is so abstract as to be meaningless. It's just a more polite way of saying 'he's rubbish'.

That was the benchmark he set himself.

Yeh you're right.

He does tend to tire after the 70th minute - but then again most players do.

But overall he's been one of our best players and is still key to us.

It just annoys me that people use not getting a replacement as a stick to beat Martinez with.

A) we haven't needed a replacement because Barry is playing so well
B) people already moan that Besic doesn't get enough game time
C) a 'like for like' replacement will be nay-on impossible to find - the only other player (in the Prem) that I think comes close to being the same type/category of player that Barry now is is Schweinsteiger

I think there is an obvious way of solving both problems. Don't make Barry vulnerable by making him play 90mins every week when you can bring besic on for the last 15 or 20 and give him the game time he needs

Infuriates me when he brings off one of the younger players late in games rather than the obviously tiring barry

...so give him time to achieve it...and cash.
Time is given to those who show progress on all fronts, or at least the ones that matter. A cup run this year and a finish even further down in the league is quite a crap progress pattern. And what will this so-called "progress be" if we still finish worse in the league than last year, but also lose in the semi?

More time and money then, cuz this season was all down to Kenwrong not having money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back