Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arouna-Kone-598392.jpg

image.webp

Good to see this article about the new owner.

He will have this clowns win rate sussed out and he will be back at Wigan where he will be more at home. No sentiment will be involved as there would be with Bill.

30% win rate! oh my! How is he really still in this job?

Lol, you're REALLY arguing the case that Martinez hasn't been overwhelmingly successful in the transfer market?

Ok.

I agree that Martinez has been quite successful in the transfer market, which makes our league position over the last two years even more baffling.

The positive to that is that whenever Martinez leaves, the next manager will have some good players at his disposal.

I agree that Martinez has been quite successful in the transfer market, which makes our league position over the last two years even more baffling.

The positive to that is that whenever Martinez leaves, the next manager will have some good players at his disposal.

He won't though because they'll all have left by the time Roberto leads us to consecutive 16th place finishes

Whoever takes over from him in 2019 will have an even better squad than we have now too.

It's all good.

Good to see this article about the new owner.

He will have this clowns win rate sussed out and he will be back at Wigan where he will be more at home. No sentiment will be involved as there would be with Bill.

30% win rate! oh my! How is he really still in this job?
The "article".

Some fantasists blog.

*shakes head*

It's not that baffling when you realise he is out of his depth and incompetent at his job. I imagine the likes of Payet, Shaquiri and Ogbonna saw right through his absolute guff philosophies and thought sod this and joined straight talking more genuine managers.

Been saying it all season mate that we need to play with a flatter back four. We stumbled into that early in the season through injury when we had Galloway and browning in the FB berths. Browning was injured and Galloway unjustifiably dropped for the outrageously over rated Baines. Then a couple of months back we again played flatter with Oviedo in there aft Baines was injured. The defence was much sounder. Oviedo then gets injured and we're back to the wingback problem again.

I think Martinez gets the message, but injuries are allowing only periodic corrections to the problem.

C'mon Dave, that's just weak. Browning and Galloway simply aren't the type of fullback who can " bomb " forwards, if they could he'd have got them doing it same as Baines, Oviedo and Coleman. That's the way he's set the fullbacks up, barring injury ever since he got here. He'll never ever play with a proper flat back four as it doesn't fit in with his philosophy and there lies many of our problems - his unwillingness to adapt or change regardless .

Martinez has given value for money over the 3 seasons all told, and his buying has been first class.

This is true. A 5th place finish, Europa League 5th round, Two semi-finalists this year. Lukuka may even treble in value. Although he didn't sign Barkley or Stones. He's backed and played them, subsequently their value has skyrocketed. Deulofeu, bought for 4 million. Worth at least 15 in the current market or more. Instead of doubting hiring Martinez, Kenwright is probably doing a jig. And if you think it's not good enough for a club of Everton's stature. It's not Martinez we should be having a go at. It's Kenwright, for turning us into a cup team.

Been saying it all season mate that we need to play with a flatter back four. We stumbled into that early in the season through injury when we had Galloway and browning in the FB berths. Browning was injured and Galloway unjustifiably dropped for the outrageously over rated Baines. Then a couple of months back we again played flatter with Oviedo in there aft Baines was injured. The defence was much sounder. Oviedo then gets injured and we're back to the wingback problem again.

I think Martinez gets the message, but injuries are allowing only periodic corrections to the problem.

What we need is a team that can play open expansive football when in possession but also adopt a more disciplined rigid structure when we lose the ball. I would expect this to be drilled into the players and therefore this pattern of play should be second nature to them. But it's not what all of us have witnessed this season.

The team absolutely shits itself when the other team press us - we lose shape, no-one protects the CB's, the full backs are often caught in no-mans land and it's pandemonium in our penalty area. Where is the coaching? Where are the drills? why can't the players adapt quickly to changes in momentum on the pitch? Baines and Coleman are experienced full backs. They both played more conservative roles under the previous regime and looked comfortable doing it - I can only assume that Martinez and his coaching staff are actually instructing them to push higher up the pitch and forgo a lot of their defensive responsibilities.

And yes we look a lot more comfortable with a flat back four so why does Martinez insist on trying to play 3 CB's and wingbacks? I know its become a cliche on this forum now but it's just like Wigan all over again - it didn't work then and it doesn't work now.

The "article".

Some fantasists blog.

*shakes head*

You genuinely don't give a toss about the club do you. You'll just be made up to laugh at everyone when we still have Martinez in 2 years time and are a consistent 12th-16th placed team and say "see I told you so, he's still our manager". Fair enough if that's all you're arsed about, but swerve always coming on here and having a go at people that want to see the club progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back