Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well an interesting day, but nothing to counter the argument that Martinez does not possess all the necessary skills to manage a sustained bid on the top four positions.

Re questions as to the viability of this as an ambition or ideal, historically or indeed contemporary, well given the current occupants of the top 6 places there's absolutely no reason why Everton should not realistically be part of that - other than the fact we are not.

Martinez said on joining Everton that he had been "given an incredible platform from which to continue.....to the next level".

Sadly three years on, despite his best efforts, he has not been able to match his ambitions with deeds.

It's not personal, but he's proven himself incapable of performing to the levels he claimed himself.

If we are to achieve our ambitions and expectations based on the resources available to us, we must change the management team.

I'm sure this is not lost on Mr. Moshiri.

Well an interesting day, but nothing to counter the argument that Martinez does not possess all the necessary skills to manage a sustained bid on the top four positions.

Re questions as to the viability of this as an ambition or ideal, historically or indeed contemporary, well given the current occupants of the top 6 places there's absolutely no reason why Everton should not realistically be part of that - other than the fact we are not.

Martinez said on joining Everton that he had been "given an incredible platform from which to continue.....to the next level".

Sadly three years on, despite his best efforts, he has not been able to match his ambitions with deeds.

It's not personal, but he's proven himself incapable of performing to the levels he claimed himself.

If we are to achieve our ambitions and expectations based on the resources available to us, we must change the management team.

I'm sure this is not lost on Mr. Moshiri.
I really hope this is the case.

What we need is a team that can play open expansive football when in possession but also adopt a more disciplined rigid structure when we lose the ball. I would expect this to be drilled into the players and therefore this pattern of play should be second nature to them. But it's not what all of us have witnessed this season.

The team absolutely shits itself when the other team press us - we lose shape, no-one protects the CB's, the full backs are often caught in no-mans land and it's pandemonium in our penalty area. Where is the coaching? Where are the drills? why can't the players adapt quickly to changes in momentum on the pitch? Baines and Coleman are experienced full backs. They both played more conservative roles under the previous regime and looked comfortable doing it - I can only assume that Martinez and his coaching staff are actually instructing them to push higher up the pitch and forgo a lot of their defensive responsibilities.

And yes we look a lot more comfortable with a flat back four so why does Martinez insist on trying to play 3 CB's and wingbacks? I know its become a cliche on this forum now but it's just like Wigan all over again - it didn't work then and it doesn't work now.
His system with FBs is not to always have them flying up the line. As said he's varied it with at least one more conservative FB...and the introduction again of Lennon in the team makes us effectively sounder on the right if Coleman is the one tasked with getting up deep into the opposition half.

There's some utter bollocks talked about how Martinez is too rigid. There's criticisms that re legitimate concerning his prolonged perseverance with Howard and Stones, but most if it is just unthinking nonsense.

You genuinely don't give a toss about the club do you. You'll just be made up to laugh at everyone when we still have Martinez in 2 years time and are a consistent 12th-16th placed team and say "see I told you so, he's still our manager". Fair enough if that's all you're arsed about, but swerve always coming on here and having a go at people that want to see the club progress
It's fickle and hysterical nonsense most of it.

The reality is what it is. Sorry about that like. Quote all your twitter and blogosphere lynch mobs all you like. They don't make a blind bit of difference to the goings on at Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back