Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, let me ask you this question. What do you sincerely believe the remit was for Moyes. I'll tell you my opinion. Don't get us relegated and try to have a good cup run. Tell me why our current managers remit is any different?
I know Everton under Moyes was budgeted an 8th place finish. Anything less the club lost money

Yeah, and the season isn't over yet. Let's whack the manager with sticks that have already fallen from the tree before pulling new ones off aye, there's plenty of them laying on the ground right now as it is.
Still a piss poor showing.

Dave can't claim 'record points total' and then completely ignore a stat as bad as it. The stat in question is also the most recent stat, not a points total from two seasons ago.

You don't know that and neither do I

Exactly, it's conjecture. You could argue that Moshiri might be quite happy to leave Bill in charge, considering the massive amounts of money flooding into the game, maybe he'll just sit back and watch his investment grow. Bottom line is, we don't know his motivations. All Davek is arguing is, what we do know as opposed to what we hope will happen

I know Everton under Moyes was budgeted an 8th place finish

And do you seriously think he would have faced the sack if he didn't achieve that?

Ok, let me ask you this question. What do you sincerely believe the remit was for Moyes. I'll tell you my opinion. Don't get us relegated and try to have a good cup run. Tell me why our current managers remit is any different?
I remember when we used to win things. "Don't get relegated" is that really what you think were the aspirations for a squad that regularly finished 6th/7th?

Moyes served a purpose and took us as far as he could in my opinion.
When he left we wanted someone to build on what he had left and take it forward. Not unfair to want this is it?

Problem is we haven't moved forward whatever way you look at it. We may win a trophy which will be great but in the league we will not have moved forward at all. After his 1st 2 seasons I said I would be happy if he could just get us back to how he found us which is a 60 point a season team. This is looking unlikely now.

My opinion is he is a cup manager. Great at one off games. Not so good at a league campaign. He'd probably make a good international manager one day.

They do make a difference because the papers have cottoned on. Martinez now spends every press conference defending his performance. It is the beginning of the end. Each week I watch match of the day pundits criticising his decisions. It's the way it eorks when you are higher profile. A cup win would buy time, but probably only till Christmas. If we suffer the annual mid season slump he would be gone at Christmas. If he does not win the cup, I am sure there will be a very serious examination of the team performance by the new owners. They need to decide whether to let Martinez invest the new money. I don't know what side they would come down on. Bill never got rid of people because of the cost, that may not be so much of a constraint now.
No mate, you're reading and believing the sources you want to hear. Just on the MOTD claim: no time has anyone on there ever said anything like Martinez is under threat. Not once. They talk there of Everton's up and down season and the good play not getting the results that it deserves.

And there's only one scrap of information in the past few weeks that means anything. Kenwrights words after the Chelsea game underlining his full support and admiration for a man who also stuck by him. THAT is worth a million tweets and blogs from fuming fantasists and their wishful thinking.

Forget the Martinez out coup. It isn't happening. Wembley bound, midtable. Anytime thinks Kenwright is giving an Everton manager the push on that basis are just torturing themselves.

Leave it now. Do yourself a favour. Let it go and let's all get behind this team and secure our first trophy for 21 years. History beckons.

Let's put it this way, if Everton, under Moyes where they sold Arteta to pay off the banks to avoid administration, finished bottom half two years in a row, I think they definitely would have thought about sacking him

I honestly think the fear of relegation dissapeared under Moyes. I also think Moyes time we were heavily restricted financially and didnt have the money from tv deals that we have now. His task was to do as well as he could with what was available.

I dont think you can compare the two as it was a very different time however Martinez inherited a well drilled organised hard to beat team, added the 2nd highest scorer in the premiership and made us an easy win for any visiting club. He also stated upon his arrival he would get champions league .... he raised expectations and could not deliver them, why fund a 28 million pound striker if your intention is solely to avoid relegation and have a good cup run? although I bet the board are glad they bought lukaku otherwise we would indeed be fighting relegation due to Martinez clearly being out of his depth at this club, with this team, with his flawed philosophy and bizzarre post match interviews that the press are now going to feed upon until the inevitable sacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back