Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's mostly gone

There was plenty of dissent in the Moyes years. Complete utter boredom at the dross that was served up, I'll grant you. But when woken from the stupor of the purgatory which was the Moyes years, there was anger and criticism. Remember "knife to a gunfight".

I remember before the Chelsea game you decided you had had enough of Martinez. Fair enough too. Then after the Chelsea game you posted that you were back in the in camp.

Now you're back in the out camp since Arsenal.

What's going on here is synonymous of loads of people right now. Let's just wait till the end of the season eh.

That's the thing, Martinez isn't going anywhere now, and instead of going round in circles, and regurgitating the same stuff on this thread, it would be easier if everyone just waited till the end of the season.

Mate at the end of the day he signed him. At 29 million, now Real Madrid are looking to pay 60 for him, allegedly. You've got to give him credit were credit is due.
Would you not put a large % of this to the player who decided he wanted to be the best striker in world football? Its like saying Michael Jordan is the best player in NBA history because he had Phil Jackson. Only problem is that Phil Jackson was one of the best coaches in basketball history whislt Martinez has regressed Everton.

Martinez has regressed Everton

Has he? If he wins the FA Cup. Regresses, We haven't won it since Joe Royle. In fact we haven't won anything since Joe Royle. What you're doing is placing an expectation on him that no other manager in our recent history has been burdened with.

He'll more than likely be starting next season as Manager and have until Christmas at least to show some improvement.

I've always said he should be given next season, I'm in the cult at the moment, but if he hasn't learnt from his mistakes, and nothing has changed by Christmas (especially if he spends a wad of cash in the summer) then he should be kicked up the arse out the door.

Has he? If he wins the FA Cup. Regresses, We haven't won it since Joe Royle. In fact we haven't won anything since Joe Royle.
If you'd like me to quantify, then ok. He has regressed the team since he has taken over because our LEAGUE form is pretty much awful. I know, 'SEVENTY TWO!', but its almost literally two years on now and we're awful.

There was plenty of dissent in the Moyes years. Complete utter boredom at the dross that was served up, I'll grant you. But when woken from the stupor of the purgatory which was the Moyes years, there was anger and criticism.
Moyes was preceded by Walter smith. He was a massive step up compared to that era. He was past his sell by date at the end and overstayed by a few years, but he did regularly finish 6th/7th, even when his team was sold from underneath him. He also got to sf an finals. Goodison was a ground that teams hated coming to because it was such a fortress. Alex Ferguson and others referred to the influence of the crowd on referees another used to be proud. Now for whatever reason, that has gone for most games and I miss it. Dreadfully.

I've always said he should be given next season, I'm in the cult at the moment, but if he hasn't learnt from his mistakes, and nothing has changed by Christmas (especially if he spends a wad of cash in the summer) then he should be kicked up the arse out the door.
Can I ask why? Last season he was 'given the first 10 games', then it was 'until Christmas', then 'until the end of the season'? Im not trying to split hair here, this was the feelings of most. We are worse off in a league position than almost any under our previous manager even when selling off our best player under the former and not signing a first team player for a LOT of windows in a row. What do you see that I don't? We are STILL awful after most's benchmarks, so why even extend this?

"If you'd like me to quantify, then ok. He has regressed the team since he has taken over because our LEAGUE form is pretty much awful. I know, 'SEVENTY TWO!', but its almost literally two years on now and we're awful."

So in that universe, Moyes saved us from relegation, yo'yo'd eventually got us to 4th but should have been sacked because he never improved on it? If you're going to argue that, I'd agree, but on the proviso that to improve on it, the board should be held responsible as well. For never backing the manager to realistically attempt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back