Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only makes sense and rings true if you get top four (actually, top three to avoid a qualifier).

Obviously not true.

The cup is of massively less value than 17th in the league unless you win it, and even then it's only got value in terms of prestige.

If we get to the final of any domestic cup competition and lose, it was effectively all entirely pointless.

I don't think you understand what I said.

There are people out there who have came out and blatantly said 'winning the cup is papering over the cracks' so let's say we win it there will still be people complaining about performance related issues or the manager.

And my reference to a political supporter basically means 'you cannot have an argument with somebody who believes a different political parties statement and you will never change their mind'

I understand your frustration as it can be hard to understand things on the Internet
So if we win the cup we are all supposed to forget the issues of the season? Surely that would be short sighted or at the very least a little fickle.

The issues have happened and nothing can be done about it now. Our overall season can be improved upon with a cup win but that does not dispel anything that went before it.

I think Southampton are a great example of changing managers successfully. I think they do look very carefully at upgrading with stability at the centre. I'd certainly have had no worries about bringing Koeman in ahead of Roberto. But we didn't.
What I'd be very wary of is a manager who buys a few league placings at the expense of our future. A lesser Mourinho who is keener on the adulation than establishing something to build on.
For instance I was desperate for us to bring in established experience at the back two seasons ago. But it may have been the wrong choice if it stopped younger players developing.
One thing i will always pay credit for is the fact martinez played the youth players over just old pros. That is what i wanted from a new manager when moyes left so that has been a pleasant outcome.

Back four plus GK will be reconstituted in the summer. No question of that.

For me: out would go Baines and Stones. Coleman would just about be retained given his performances all told this season. Keep Jagileka but take the armband off him. Funes Mori and Galloway retain. Bring in a new RB cover and a LB. Bring in a CB who can lead and organise his defence and a top GK.

That would sort it.

agree with on all of that, except stones..

So why aren't they performing? If they're that experienced they should have no problem should they?
They perform under Englands coaches well enough to keep getting picked

they performed under the previous regime (the two that were in the team)

they aren't performing under the regime (Coaches came from wigan remember) that also shipped a massive amount of goals and got relegated.

Considering as well Baines was wanted at united, stones at chelsea, Jags at Arsenal, all when they were title chasing teams, funny how Martinez has them playing like mid table ones.

One thing i will always pay credit for is the fact martinez played the youth players over just old pros. That is what i wanted from a new manager when moyes left so that has been a pleasant outcome.

Depends on what you mean by youth players.

Barkley is the only player to really come through the youth system and he was around the fringes under moyes. Without his leg break he may have been further along the road.

The rest were bought for not a little money.

I don't think even Moyes would have spent £28m on a striker and not played him, Moyes bought stones with a view to playing him you'd have to think.

Galloway played out of necessity and was dropped once senior players became available.

The year wigan went down, after they lost at arsenal to conform the relegation martinez said in his post match interview.... 'we are all still gutted, no one saw this coming' when clearly all year they were crap yet he couldn't see that coming??? I know he's positive but there is just plain blind, or could you class it as arrogance? Either way he needs to see what's going on on the pitch rather than in his head. If we play crap he needs to say it, he will at least gain more respect

Utterly terrifying that.

Every round we win in the cup we hear 'this will give our league form a boost' I'm still waiting for that to happen. No one can say if we win the cup it will boost us in the league next season. That's like saying if we lose the cup final it could knock our confidence so much we get relegated? Or is that a bit extreme?

If we win the cup all this league form stuff wont matter. The morale boost from a cup win (and presumably the cash boost from the new share holder) will ensure confidence and league form will return.

If there's anything more depressing than Everton supporters without a cup win to shout about for 21 years shrugging their shoulders at a cup win as if it were nothing, I dont know what it is. Apparently though, the Chelsea game in the previous round was a "must win" game...I wonder why if it's so inconsequential?

The cup is massive in english football and getting it a real achievement. The downgrading of it on this forum by some is merely a determination to give nothing to Martinez if he manages to steer us to it.

THAT's how pathetic things have become.

Mattered to WIGAN mate...;)

Only makes sense and rings true if you get top four (actually, top three to avoid a qualifier).

But if the club makes 5th, 6th or 7th then European football beckons which could encourage players to stay plus and this is a big plus, the wedge of cash that is linked to league placings. We can't have it all ways, yes but at least if we were 8th or 9th in the league it looks a whole lot better than where we are. If we did pick the FA cup then those factors combined would make for a successful season.

So in fairness as for the league it is upto the manager and the players to win some games not just the semi and final.

Every round we win in the cup we hear 'this will give our league form a boost' I'm still waiting for that to happen. No one can say if we win the cup it will boost us in the league next season. That's like saying if we lose the cup final it could knock our confidence so much we get relegated? Or is that a bit extreme?
Relegation is a distinct possibility under this clown.

If we win the cup all this league form stuff wont matter. The morale boost from a cup win (and presumably the cash boost from the new share holder) will ensure confidence and league form will return.

If there's anything more depressing than Everton supporters without a cup win to shout about for 21 years shrugging their shoulders at a cup win as if it were nothing, I dont know what it is. Apparently though, the Chelsea game in the previous round was a "must win" game...I wonder why if it's so inconsequential?

The cup is massive in english football and getting it a real achievement. The downgrading of it on this forum by some is merely a determination to give nothing to Martinez if he manages to steer us to it.

THAT's how pathetic things have become.
You've been downgrading the league, the country's premier competition!

Your hypocrisy really does know no bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back