Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok better worded, i wanted to see younger players in the team .

The previous manager dropped young players for no reason, played defenders in midfield rather than give a younger player a chance, and largely ignored the academy. As sheedy once said, his players would get a call that they were going on loan to scotland, and then he would never see them again.

when you see a team with Neville / Heitinga midfield you kinda want the younger players to come in and be part of it instead. so not just ross, but stones, del, rom, galloway, browning, robles (for a keeper) besic etc Younger players giving trust rather than treated like a liability in case they make a mistake.

Often Moyes would drop a youngster even before they made a mistake just in case they did, see duffy, vellios, barkley as examples.

So Besic, Duffy, Browning and Galloway play a couple of games and do well, but then disappear to the bench and that's great management and displaying trust, Moyes starts introducing Stones and Barkley in the same manner and that's the opposite?

Selective quoting there. I don't know why people keep phrasing these issues as though they are not Martinez's problem: 'We need at least one of our CBs to have pace and power' 'Yarmolenko wasn't available' 'Barry would be rotated but there's no one else in the squad to do that role'. A whole raft of excuses as to why something can't work or won't work yet. The answer to all of these is 'Martinez, as manager, find a way'.

He moves Distin on and buys Funes Mori? Any lack of pace that may now be lacking is entirely of his own making. He asks his full backs to attack even though he hasn't got the CBs to play that way? A problem entirely of his own making. Everton fail to seal the deal with Yarmolenko? Going two seasons with horrific left side options is not an acceptable response, identify different targets, use the squad options like Pienaar and Mirallas better. It is not ok just to wash his hands of the whole thing and stick Kone out there then Cleverley. No one else can do Barry's role? Play a different way, or stop buying midfielders like Besic and Cleverley who don't play that way. Again it's not ok for the team to fall apart if Barry misses a game. It is negligent weak management that refuses to take responsibility. He's lucky he has elements of the fan base that agree with his own view that none of our current problem is down to him.

To be fair I misread your post. Haha.

Doing my expenses here at work...boring.

He was also starting in his preferred position at the Emirates and WHL as a teenager in a top 4 chasing side. How many teenagers do we currently have playing in out 12th placed side?

How many academy graduates that have come through the system has Martinez given game time to? The answer is 1, Browning who came in to cover Colemans injury then was dropped straight away.

Moyes gave debuts to Rooney, Rodwell, Barkley, Baxter, Vaughan, Anichebe all as young teenagers of 16 or 17. How many 16 or 17 year olds has Martinez blooded?

I guarantee the team from the europa league dead rubber will be brought up.

So Besic, Duffy, Browning and Galloway play a couple of games and do well, but then disappear to the bench and that's great management and displaying trust, Moyes starts introducing Stones and Barkley in the same manner and that's the opposite?

you can include robles in that

Leicester's counter: Drinkwater smacks it 40 yards to Vardy.

Our approach play is a bit more fluid and sophisticated than that.

What? Am I missing something? The whole point of counter attacking is to get the ball from back to from as quickly as possible Leicester do that extremely efficiently. We do it well sometimes but other times we get stuck in our own half with not outlet - see Norwich and Bournemouth. Game should be over at half time, instead Martinez gets completely dicked on tactically by lower league teams, we barely create a chance in the second half due to sitting to deep and trying to play on the counterattack and we end up dropping points. He's clueless when it comes to closing out a game.

Pienaar was still very much a first team player in Martinez's first season, and last season it wasn't entirely clear he was finished through injury. Not exactly the long period of thinking time you suggest. I do believe his problem over on that side was that he was conceited enough to believe he could adapt Naismith in that role - something most could see was never possible. But, as said, you did make a big deal out of that position being testament to a wider malaise, so to omit the signing of Tarashaj and the pursuit of Yarmolenko was an obvious mistake on your part.

More BS. Yarmolenko is a completely different type of player to Pienaar/Osman. Tarashaj - no idea about him. Never seen him play I would prefer to replace key first team players with players who can also play in the first team rather than obscure youngsters.

Toffeeweb are currently running a poll. There are 3 options to vote on.

A. Give Bobby more time.
B. Wait on see on the FA Cup.
C. Bobby out regardless of FA Cup win.

Of 1,263 votes cast so far option C leads with 81%.

This leads me to draw 1 of 3 conclusions.

A. The Toffeweb and GOT polls are indicative of the true feelings of Everton fans.
B. The Toffeeweb "silent majority" are equally cowed and oppressed.
C. The "silent majority" is the figment of a fevered imagination.

Answers on a postcard please.

*just so it`s clear i`m an advocate of option C to both questions.

His system with FBs is not to always have them flying up the line. As said he's varied it with at least one more conservative FB...and the introduction again of Lennon in the team makes us effectively sounder on the right if Coleman is the one tasked with getting up deep into the opposition half.

There's some utter bollocks talked about how Martinez is too rigid. There's criticisms that re legitimate concerning his prolonged perseverance with Howard and Stones, but most if it is just unthinking nonsense.

Why did Lennon get hardly any game time early in the season? He actually kept us up last year only to be dropped for no reason. Our performance level and result then pick up when he comes back into the team.

Where the hell did Deulofeu go anyway? Best player we have imo.

Martinez doesn't trust young players. Del Stones and Besic all dropped from the team, Browning and Galloway benched, no academy products promoted, Barkley only just nailing down a regular spot this season at 22, but still not trusted in the deeper position.

It's amazing what you can say about Martinez if you put on the same tone as those who bash Moyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back