Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Defence is the problem. Baines and Stones have been woeful. Why wouldn't you release them and get defenders in?

How is that a wind up? Do you actually think an ageing defender who cant defend is beyond criticism and moving on? I thought this was all about moving Everton forward?

I tell you something: if Everton do get a CL spot again it'll NEVER be with Baines in the team as a regular. He is completely shot and this season proves it beyond doubt.

All they need is a proper coach, proper instructions on what to do mate. They are playing to Martinez's system Dave and Martinez system doesn't work as many many others have pointed out with our goals against stats. Even my nine year old can see it doesn't work !

Collectively the defence would appear to have collapsed as a unit, wouldn't the wise thing to do he to work on this ?

Imagine being pissed off with a manager that actually set expectations for himself unlike good old 40pts = safety

....don't actually think I said I was pissed off with him for doing so, we were all wooed by that eh. My point being you can't (not you like cheese) use the high bar in example as excuse for the person who actually set it in the first place...

That said, it would have been a terrible unveiling had he gone '...I'm gonna suck away all defensive wherewithal, get you a top goalscorer and STILL finish bottom half as often as I surely can...are you with me?'

Wudda be honest though eh...

It's sad how some people care more about one individual than the whole football club. No one is bigger than Everton and we have had some titans in our time, Dean, HK, Labone, Ball etc. Roberto Martinez isn't even a skid mark on our history some of our 'fans' blaming everyone and the toffee lady for Robertos clueless management need a word with themselves.

Who remembers where we finished in 99/00?

It's a nothing point, we need to talk about the here and now, about thousands of Evertonians walking out of Goodison gutted every other week. We lost 4-0 to Liverpool in 13/14, hurt like hell at the time, not really bothered now.

We'll always remember trophy victories, as time passes all seasons are forgotten to a point, fact is the here and now is crap, below standard, below expectation and quite simply not good enough.

Because we finished 16th and won a cup in 95' means nothing without digging deeper. Mike walker provided Everton with their worst start to a PL campaign Ever. My first time in the new Park end was against West Ham, a night game we got our first win at the 14th time of trying, Gary Ablett with the winner, following week we drew 0-0 at Norwich few days later he was gone and Rotle was in, because Everton acted. Royle's form in the last 23 games was European qualification standard AND we won the cup.

To dismiss a whole season because we MAY win a cup is crazy talk.

But to qualify my own point, in 3 years time, I probably won't be arsed about this season anymore.

He's not up to standard, let's not forget everything because up to now, and with no disrespect we have beaten Chelsea to get to a cup Semi and no one else. It's a one game cup run.

09 was a proper cup run and for the most part playing Cahill and Felliani up front.

Villa and Liverpool both dispatched before the QF.

This cup run has only just begun.

I love you, Ian.....you are a brilliant poster lol

Your ability to work yourself into a rage over sommat as delightful as winning a trophy is truly remarkable :pint2:

Think we are waiting to see if Sunderland get relegated so we can make a move for the tactical genius of Big Sam.
Are we. Is that your expectation of Everton. Martinez or some long ball merchant? We can't get a manager that wants to play some Football WHILST winning? Everton aren't capable of that.

Did everyone know this

It HAS to be Pullis/Allardyce or Martinez. No room for middle ground what so ever.

Imagine being pissed off with a manager that actually set expectations for himself unlike good old 40pts = safety
I've set myself expectations to win the lottery by the time I'm forty, I'm now 6 years away from that and don't actually play the game.
I think I'll achieve mine before Martinez does.

Brilliant analysis there, except for one thing - something I'd have expected a tactical genius to remember, btw - in Martinez's first season here (you know, the one that you lament our regression from) we played with a conventional CB pairing and Barry slotting in between them and tasked with carrying out the ball for the bulk of the time.

We dont need a CB who isn't a CB. I told you from the season before last Stones wasn't a defender in a million years and he proved it in spades this season (although I dont remember you too often springing to his defence - funny that, maybe it slipped your mind).

"You said we need 4 CBs". Has it come to this that you have to invent a position for me to knock down? Laughable.

You do know a lot about eastern European players though. And I will continue to read your thoughts on them.

We also played with 2 attacking fullbacks in 13/14 mate, so your point sounds a bit daft really reckoning we can't play with them?

Also Stomnes - yanno the cb who isn't a cb played 21 games in 13/14 mate including 11 in a row near the end of the season - all at cb, and including every game of that 7 game winning streak when we let in 4 goals - but apparently he can't defend - or has his defending regressed the longer he has been working under Martinez? be interestign to hear your take on why he is not defending as well at 21 as he was at 19 though...

Everyone who has expressed an opinion on Stones from managers to respected pro's has labelled him as one of the most talented defenders the country has produced in years - but you spotted the flaws many years ago mate, well done - will take Mourinhos etc opinion on a cb ahead of yours though lol

still interested whats changed over that first season though Dave? Why now do we need to play more a more defensive setup than before - especially as you have stated a few times that Baines and Coleman have never been decent defensive players - so if they havent then why are we shipping a ton more goals and you are advocating a overhault of the defence that we had in 13/14 and is by no means an old defence?

As for not jumping to stones defence in that thread of his - because frankly anyone who is slating him and calling him a bad player mate is utterly beyond comment - most naturally talented defender we have had at this club for years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back