Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Dave is right on this occasion.

Who remembers where we finished in the league in 1966, 1984 or 1995?

None but the uber anoraks among us.

Indeed, who even cares?

Even less people, I'll be bound.

But what does every bugger in Evertonia remember about those three years?

Why, Eddie Kavanagh, Elton John and The Farm ;)

FTR.....we finished 12th, 7th and 15th respectively.

Better yet, the league form and final placings improved dramatically the season after the boost of winning the Cup.

Precedent suggests an F.A. Cup victory is a shot in the arm for EFC.

So I won't be fretting over our final league position this season if we wind up running round Wembley with the Cup ;)

Because I know few will remember it and even less will care.

COYB

:dance:
Who remembers where we finished in 99/00?

It's a nothing point, we need to talk about the here and now, about thousands of Evertonians walking out of Goodison gutted every other week. We lost 4-0 to Liverpool in 13/14, hurt like hell at the time, not really bothered now.

We'll always remember trophy victories, as time passes all seasons are forgotten to a point, fact is the here and now is crap, below standard, below expectation and quite simply not good enough.

Because we finished 16th and won a cup in 95' means nothing without digging deeper. Mike walker provided Everton with their worst start to a PL campaign Ever. My first time in the new Park end was against West Ham, a night game we got our first win at the 14th time of trying, Gary Ablett with the winner, following week we drew 0-0 at Norwich few days later he was gone and Rotle was in, because Everton acted. Royle's form in the last 23 games was European qualification standard AND we won the cup.

To dismiss a whole season because we MAY win a cup is crazy talk.

But to qualify my own point, in 3 years time, I probably won't be arsed about this season anymore.

He's not up to standard, let's not forget everything because up to now, and with no disrespect we have beaten Chelsea to get to a cup Semi and no one else. It's a one game cup run.

09 was a proper cup run and for the most part playing Cahill and Felliani up front.

Villa and Liverpool both dispatched before the QF.

This cup run has only just begun.

Who is asking for that? I just want them to support the lads on the pitch. If you need to moan and boo there is one place for it. At full time.
The only serious issue is the relationship between the fans and Barkley (now that Howard has been done away with). I don't understand why, but a lot of people just do not like him.

Overall, I think the crowd have lost faith in the manager's methods, but that could easily be turned around with results. He's backed himself into a corner with the rhetoric he's been feeding us for three years, so now the onus is on him to convince people there's substance to back up what he's saying.

The only serious issue is the relationship between the fans and Barkley (now that Howard has been done away with). I don't understand why, but a lot of people just do not like him.

Overall, I think the crowd have lost faith in the manager's methods, but that could easily be turned around with results. He's backed himself into a corner with the rhetoric he's been feeding us for three years, so now the onus is on him to convince people there's substance to back up what he's saying.

Imagine pissing and moaning at a boss young player like Barkley. SMFH.

I must admit i loved the fact you advocated the playing of Browning and Galloway at fb earlier on though Dave, so that was us basically palyign an entire back 4 of cb's - trying to remember who else does that - oh yeah tony Pullis does it doesn't he

Hmmm so Martinez entire phillosophy centres around a back 4 that is comfortable on the ball, and you want to sell the most creative player in the back 4 - in Baines, and the one player who is naturally comfortable taking it out from the back and in fact has been lauded for it - in Stones.

You reckon when we play these 4 centre backs and the world top Goalie we need to buy that we should still play two defensive midfielders then Dave and a defensive minded winger as well, 8 primarily defensive players should be able to keep us in the low 50's of goals conceded with Martinez in charge i reckon, or you reckon we will be alright with 4cb's and two holding midfielders and just go with the 7 defensive players mate?

Think i have sussed you out now Dave, you have realsied that Martinez is utterly useless at sorting a defense out so are now advocating selling half the defence, bringing in 2-3 starters each season who may be able to defend for a year before martinez gets them going backwards and wrecking them...

You sure you have never broken your leg in a cup final at Wembey Dave?
Brilliant analysis there, except for one thing - something I'd have expected a tactical genius to remember, btw - in Martinez's first season here (you know, the one that you lament our regression from) we played with a conventional CB pairing and Barry slotting in between them and tasked with carrying out the ball for the bulk of the time.

We dont need a CB who isn't a CB. I told you from the season before last Stones wasn't a defender in a million years and he proved it in spades this season (although I dont remember you too often springing to his defence - funny that, maybe it slipped your mind).

"You said we need 4 CBs". Has it come to this that you have to invent a position for me to knock down? Laughable.

You do know a lot about eastern European players though. And I will continue to read your thoughts on them.

The atmosphere at home will only change once Martinez is hooked. He's lost the support of the fans imo and even if he wins a cup the season after sat in midtable with only 3 home wins will lose him any of that possible won support.

End of the day football is a results business and no matter if he wins a cup once every 15 seasons he'll be crucified for cronically underachieving in those other 14, that's why he needs to go.

Well done. You dont get irony...which means you dont get this either.

*sigh*
Unfortunately Dave it's not the first time I have used that. It's not the first time you've acknowledged that I have used it but..... It is the first time you've used sarcasm as your reasoning.

Adams
Connor
Mel
Kean
Adkins
Solskjear
Meulensteen

It depends on the sort of manager you get, and where you are in the league and whether what you have in terms of personnel, and the finances you have, match the vision of the manager and if the players can adapt swiftly that vision.

Imagine pissing and moaning at a boss young player like Barkley. SMFH.
The only explanation I've come up with is that he seems to be the one who sees the ball the most in games where they're struggling to break a team down, and so ends up catching the ire of frustrated fans.

It's a shame, because he's probably been the best performer overall this season.

I would perhaps agree with you there and I cannot understand myself why this is - from where I sit it (U Bullens) has been ok this season and I haven't heard many moans about him - anyone else in other areas of the ground noticed this as an issue ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back