Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moyes was attacked but never seriously was there a view he had to go because of 7th place. he was attacked for not having the bollocks to do exactly what Martinez does: be bold and take games by the scruff and win them with style.

As for Martinez making a rod for his own back with the CL spot comment: no, I dont think he did. If he said it to BK he should have kept that to himself, nowt to do with RM...and I doubt very much he;d have put a time limitation of three seasons on it.

...Hmmmm,

When that happens like, it's aces.

The prob is it doesn't happen very often at all does it mate...

I'm not ignoring the time element, three years is ample time to establish whether or not the club is either meeting objectives or moving in the right direction to meet objectives.

We are significantly further away today from meeting the objectives set than when Martinez arrived. Furthermore the manager with 3 years more Premier League experience has not progressed himself, and it can be easily argued that he has in fact regressed over that period.

Being a decent cup side is not sufficient, I make no apology for wishing for greater achievements from Everton, particularly given our playing resources and the current nature of the Premier League.

Objectives not met? How many managers met the objectives you have outlined? Moyes? Never a serious contender of CL places but for a couple of seasons. Most of the time we finished 6th we were making up lost ground at the end of seasons, never in the shake up. Not seriously. Did that make him a target for dismissal? Not in all seriousness.

The truth is that if we are 'further away from meeting objectives' it's because this manager - as well as his predecessors - have never had the financial clout you required to push on and compete regularly for a CL spot. That all appears to be changing. But you cant prejudge Martinez on failing to deliver yet. He's woven together a very good squad with real depth but, as we see, it's not enough in crucial areas. You simply have no idea what funding from this point can achieve. It is unknown territory - as unknown as if you bring a new manager in and allow him to use those squad resources plus cash reserves on top.

Finally, since when has required skills and mental fortitude been "woolly stuff"? If they are of minor importance, then why do we require mangers and coaches? This season more than many has demonstrated the impact of good coaching and management (and the impact of poor management and coaching) - Leicester and Spurs clear beneficiaries of excellent management and coaching, Everton and early season Chelsea both suffering as a result of poor management and coaching.

Because it cant be quantified. You cant, for example, separate out for me who the mental fragility resides with: players or manager. If you're using it as a tool for conjecture, then yes. We can all provide our own concepts about the root causes of a problem, but we cant be safe in concluding from them. Results, yes. Quality of squad, roughly we can see improvement or deterioration. They are measurable things. Absence of mental fortitude, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back