Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just trying to be optimistic. The wins recently were great fun, but not meaningful until we start winning consistently over a season or in the big cup games. Unless this takeover bid goes through, there isn't much hope of Martinez being sacked, so why be so negative. He's made a lot of great changes and evolved as a manager in the time he's been here.

No problem being optimistic. Just understand why not everyone feels the same. This is Everton. We'll see what happens.

Off the top of my head I would have gone for Mancini.

If we are not big enough for the likes of him then I have seriously gotton wrong where I see Everton in the global game now.

I dunno what the general consensus on Mancini is, but for me he has always been a just ok manager who has had some luck in his appointments. He is a chequebook manager, and he spent a fortune and only got his City side over the line in the last minute of the season making their challengers Man U look like they were a very good team. Which, they weren't. His three titles with Inter came with their main rivals in a shambles, Juve in Serie B.

I honestly don't think I would have wanted him even if he and Moyes both left their clubs that summer after he won the title. Not suited to us at all.

Whatever people think of the current boss, and whatever may happen with him good or bad, I think his type of long term thinking and investment in youth is more suited to where we are as a club.

Mancini seems a foreign Harry Redknapp who would murder our wage bill and leave us with a mess of a squad, all in the hope of a cup.....which for me is a worse throw of the dice than letting our current boss having his contracted time to build and see what comes of it.

The Sidney City Coach, under pressure Re. 'non attractive football'...(gist) "the aim is of course to play attractive winning football, coaches don't get the sack for playing 'unattractive football' ( my words here; except maybe Moyes at Untd, but that was just the excuse ) they mostly get the sack for not winning."

just sayin like.

fair point

I tell you something mate: there was a lot of concern over who could keep the plate spinning after Moyes left that summer. If you''d have told Evertonians then that his successor would come in and in his first season put a record 72 points and 5th spot on the table and that in season two we'd finish 11th, and that by season three the quality of football would surpass anything we've seen since the 80s, though the current table position hadn't shifted, they'd have accepted that in a great big hurry.

We'll see where we are at the end of the season position wise. But back in the summer of 2013 when Moyes frigged off most would have snatched your hand off for two top half finishes in three seasons.

Lest we forget.

Lest we also forget the other 50% of the tale, but that doesn't sound as good

#cherrypicking

Why not? He's never going to get that sort of money to spend again in his career.

It really does show how far we have fallen in stature when some think that Martinez is the best we can do and look for excuses why a proven PL winner wouldn't come to us.

Why not? Because he's a manager in demand from top European clubs (for some reason, but there it is).

"Someone like Martinez". What, a manager who created a football club Swansea from the ashes of the lower leagues and gave it its style of football which successive managers have never dared tinker too much with? Someone who gave a club like Wigan there only success in their 84 year history? Someone who came into this club and gave us our best ever PL points total and transformed the way we play from semi-cloggers to having an attractive football team?

I tell you something mate: there was a lot of concern over who could keep the plate spinning after Moyes left that summer. If you''d have told Evertonians then that his successor would come in and in his first season put a record 72 points and 5th spot on the table and that in season two we'd finish 11th, and that by season three the quality of football would surpass anything we've seen since the 80s, though the current table position hadn't shifted, they'd have accepted that in a great big hurry.
Or, put more accurately:

"We'll finish fifth in his first season, partially due to some inspired loan signings, partially due to some improved attacking play and partially due a couple of the usual top 4 teams having unusually poor season; then we'll have two poor seasons where we drop to mid-table by making the same poor tactical decisions week after week, despite having a stronger squad on paper, with no sign of the manager learning from his mistakes. To top it off he'll start blaming poor home results on the fans."

Don't think many people would be voting in favour, personally. But then again you live on different planet to most of us, don't you Dave?

We'll see where we are at the end of the season position wise. But back in the summer of 2013 when Moyes frigged off most would have snatched your hand off for two top half finishes in three seasons.

Lest we forget.
picard-facepalm.jpg

james-tomkins_3116246b.jpg

Or, put more accurately:

"We'll finish fifth in his first season, partially due to some inspired loan signings, partially due to some improved attacking play and partially due a couple of the usual top 4 teams having unusually poor season; then we'll have two poor seasons where we drop to mid-table by making the same poor tactical decisions week after week, despite having a stronger squad on paper, with no sign of the manager learning from his mistakes. To top it off he'll start blaming poor home results on the fans."

Don't think many people would be voting in favour, personally. But then again you live on different planet to most of us, don't you Dave?

picard-facepalm.jpg

james-tomkins_3116246b.jpg

"Partially down to this and partially down to that..."

Pffft!

Only two thirds of the fans want the clown out i would have expected more at this time but at least the tide is turning
Yeah, that's something we were discussing last night: how unrepresentative a poll carried out after a defeat to Swansea is right now. I think most feel that if the poll was reset over the past week the proportions would be in the opposite direction.

Yeah, that's something we were discussing last night: how unrepresentative a poll carried out after a defeat to Swansea is right now. I think most feel that if the poll was reset over the past week the proportions would be in the opposite direction.
I don't think fans are that fickle.
I mean beating an awful newcastle team won't have changed anybodys mind.
However a win today might help him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back