Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted OUT after the Man City game, based on the results of the whole season up to that point. I'm not going to change my vote on the back of three good results. But I also posted what it would take for me to change my mind at the end of the season.

Believe me, there is nothing I want more than Martinez to prove me wrong and Jason Derulo me all over the shop. Let's hope this run continues. The bar has been set, it is clear what we are capable of. We need consistency now.

I think English society as a whole needs to learn some patience and loyalty. Everything is tuned now to quick feel good fixes and then disposability.

It permatates in careers, relationships and pastimes, in this case the younger elements of our support's obsession for X Factor type judgement on Roberto Martinez.

Unfortunately there's no Tinder App for Everton managers to just pipe right down and get your KENDALL OUT graffiti off your neighbour's garage you utter disgrace.

I voted OUT after the Man City game, based on the results of the whole season up to that point. I'm not going to change my vote on the back of three good results. But I also posted what it would take for me to change my mind at the end of the season.

Believe me, there is nothing I want more than Martinez to prove me wrong and Jason Derulo me all over the shop. Let's hope this run continues. The bar has been set, it is clear what we are capable of. We need consistency now.
We may have a new "ism" started here...

Bit of a knee-jerk reaction to beating Carlisle, Newcastle and Stoke. Let's see how the next three games pan out before we start hailing Martinez as the Messiah.

Especially as the changes which have turned us around defensively weren't entirely down to his decision making

Without injuries we'd still have Tim in goals.
Imagine where we'd be if he'd changed things earlier in the season

Super result and performance though. Very happy today

Bit of a knee-jerk reaction to beating Carlisle, Newcastle and Stoke. Let's see how the next three games pan out before we start hailing Martinez as the Messiah.

Well our next 3 games aint much better tho.

West Brom at home
Bournemouth away
And Villa away

I can only imagine you saying yeah but we have only beaten.............

For me its not about the teams we are beating, its the manner in which we have done it, 3 professional maulings, yes the Newcastle score was inflated near the end and that Mitrojarg had a cracking chance to draw them level, but we never even went through the gears, yesterday we did and whilst we should be a little peeved it wasnt 10-0 there were so many positives.

The City game was a low point, to be fair to the team and the manager they have never let their heads drop all season, at no point have they thrown in the towel, so many games have gone to the wire and for bits of luck here and some "better" decisions from the sister flickers in black we could be looking at a much brighter end of season. As it is we have a slight chance at Europa and the makings of a good little cup run, no ideal and im not gonna pretend this season has been a ball, its been pain, sheer pain, for about 15+ of the games.

But yes, lets see how the next 3 games turn out, lets see if Joel rightfully keeps his place, lets see if we can "kick on", way too late to do any real damage, but the season isnt over just yet, lets try and ignore the players we might lose in the Summer and enjoy that young lad from wavertree, that monster we have upfront and the old stager pulling back the years.

WHAT HAVE WE GOT?

West Brom at home
Bournemouth away
And Villa away

For me its not about the teams we are beating, its the manner in which we have done it, 3 professional maulings, yes the Newcastle score was inflated near the end and that Mitrojarg had a cracking chance to draw them level, but we never even went through the gears, yesterday we did and whilst we should be a little peeved it wasnt 10-0 there were so many positives.

The City game was a low point, to be fair to the team and the manager they have never let their heads drop all season, at no point have they thrown in the towel, so many games have gone to the wire and for bits of luck here and some "better" decisions from the sister flickers in black we could be looking at a much brighter end of season. As it is we have a slight chance at Europa and the makings of a good little cup run, no ideal and im not gonna pretend this season has been a ball, its been pain, sheer pain, for about 15+ of the games.

But yes, lets see how the next 3 games turn out, lets see if Joel rightfully keeps his place, lets see if we can "kick on", way too late to do any real damage, but the season isnt over just yet, lets try and ignore the players we might lose in the Summer and enjoy that young lad from wavertree, that monster we have upfront and the old stager pulling back the years.

WHAT HAVE WE GOT?

I haven't changed my no vote yet...yet.

Despite all the la,la,la,la,la. fingers in ears, Martinez can do no wrong. All that was ever required was a few tweaks and a slightly different mind set. What I have been calling for, for 18mths.

The Goldilocks Option - not too much pure Moyes and not too much pure Martinez...but just right.

I seem to remember we had some sort of Improvement around this time last season.

So is it a temporary expediency to get to 40 points sharpish.

Or is it a Sea Change? the real deal, for ever and ever amen...Philosophy 2.0

Given the power vacuum at Board level he's not going anywhere any way.

my fear is it's only temporary and that will remain until I see at least the first 10 games next season...there I've admitted that he won't be sacked.

If he'd only come up with this in mid Nov. we would've been deservedly in the mix tucked in behind Leicester.

#onegameatatime

How so mate? Howard and Stones may well be injured and he may still be deluded for all we know. Let's see what happens when they are fit according to the man himself.
Fair enough. It could easily be a case of 'more by luck than judgement'. But having Lennon and Cleverly in there is giving the defence more support so he deserves some credit. I suspect they're not genuinely injured anyway though.

Will the Stoke fans be demanding Hughes gets the bullet this morning after another loss....from Stokelona to dogsh@t in 5-6 games. Likewise, will Pardew be under pressure for signing Adebayor and starting to drop points....and Klopp for surrendering a 2-0 lead at home to relegation fodder?
I doubt it. And before someone says it's an 18 month thing so not comparable, the Shyte had Rodgers messing them up for 12 months and Stoke were as dull as Warrington not so long ago.
Three steps forward and one step back still gets you to the promised land albeit a little slower....and when you get there you're better prepared. Leicester have been superb this season and deserve everything that comes their way, but I seriously doubt they'll emulate it next season....ditto Bournemouth getting promotion from nowhere and Burnley before that....and Blackpool. Get to the target abnormally quickly and there's normally only one route right after....down.

Will the Stoke fans be demanding Hughes gets the bullet this morning after another loss....from Stokelona to dogsh@t in 5-6 games. Likewise, will Pardew be under pressure for signing Adebayor and starting to drop points....and Klopp for surrendering a 2-0 lead at home to relegation fodder?
I doubt it. And before someone says it's an 18 month thing so not comparable, the Shyte had Rodgers messing them up for 12 months and Stoke were as dull as Warrington not so long ago.
Three steps forward and one step back still gets you to the promised land albeit a little slower....and when you get there you're better prepared. Leicester have been superb this season and deserve everything that comes their way, but I seriously doubt they'll emulate it next season....ditto Bournemouth getting promotion from nowhere and Burnley before that....and Blackpool. Get to the target abnormally quickly and there's normally only one route right after....down.

Rodgers had them crap for 12 months and was sacked.
I think if you ask most Stoke fans they would say they've improved under Hughes and he's attracted a better quality of player.

It's ok to just sometimes admit we've been absolute dog shyt for 18 months and under performed.

The thing about Leicester as well, maybe they will fall away, maybe they won't challenge again this season but in the here and now they have as good a chance as anyone of winning the title and every other club below them should take a long hard look at themselves and say "you know what, with a bit of hard work, team effort and good player/man management, that could have been us".

West Brom at home
Bournemouth away
And Villa away

WHAT HAVE WE GOT?

You don't have to imagine what I might say. You could read what I have already written about that exact scenario. In this very thread. I've quoted it below for you.

The "Martinez Out" sentiments have been fuelled not by individual results like the Cup exit to City, or the loss to Swansea. They are, for many people, a culmination of a general dissatisfaction with months of poor tactics leading to far too many dropped points.

Dec 2014: 3-0 loss at Southampton.
Dec 2014: 1-0 loss against Stoke at Goodison.
Dec 2014: 3-2 loss at Newcastle.
Jan 2015:2-0 loss at Hull.
Feb 2015: 2-2 draw with Leicester at Goodison.
March 2015: 2-0 loss at Stoke.
March 2015: 5-2 loss at Kiev.
April 2015: 1-1 draw at Swansea.
May 2015: 3-2 loss at Villa.
May 2015: 2-0 loss to Sunderland at Goodison.
August 2015: 2-2 draw against Watford at Goodison.
September 2015: 0-0 draw at Swansea.
November 2015: 3-3 draw at Bournemouth.
December 2015: 1-1 draw against Palace at Goodison.
December 2015: 1-1 draw at Norwich.
December 2015: 4-3 loss to Stoke at Goodison.
January 2016: 2-1 loss to Swansea at Goodison.
January 2016: 3-1 loss to City (semifinal 2nd leg)

That's quite a run of pony results, an they are regular enough that it prevents us from putting decent run of games together. Yes, we've had some very good ones during that period too, but we need to see the rubbish filtered out if we want to get back into contention for the European spots. I would personally like to be able to enjoy a 2-0 lead, rather than be soiling myself with fear that we're going to lose 3-2. Looking at the list above make me worry that our next three games are the type that Martinez typically loses. If he can keep this winning run going however, and make it six wins from six, that for me will be a sign of improvement.

Beat me to it. A string of consecutive good results is what Martinez needs to change people's minds. If he can beat Stoke today, then WBA, progress in the Cup by beating Bournemouth and then demolish a woeful Villa side, perhaps some will be swayed. Dropping points in those league fixtures, or getting bounced out of the Cup, would be more evidence to suggest that Martinez is not up to the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back