Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to be as knee jerk as the rest of you, but on yesterdays performance alone you can see that the players are behind Martinez.

We got a good run of games coming up now, and we're not far off the rest.

If he doesn't turn it around properly from now on until the rest of the season, he should be gone in the summer.

I believe in him.

Poll needs resetting. It's unrepresentative.

No, especially so if the existing poll is public.

A better idea would be to create a new poll on a named date in the future which wasn't directly after a game.
Thursday 3rd March, which is between the Villa and West Ham game perhaps ?

2 weeks ago we had just been knocked out of the cup and very poorly beaten by Swansea at home to leave us in the bottom half of the table, falling away from those above us.

Now all of a sudden we've had 3 very solid wins, scoring 9 and conceding none to throw us back up the table and put us through in the cup.

It shows how quickly results/confidence/mood can change. A lot of people wanting Martinez out have been citing the fact that 12/13/14th isn't good enough. Now we're 8th, have they changed their minds? I doubt it...

I'm not even sure what my point is, I'm hanging out of my arse here

He's had some absolute brainfarts this season with tactics and selection and keeps on getting handed his arse accordingly by the results. Howard's been repeatedly selected and cost ten points as a min. Kone can't hit a barn door. Osman starting at City in the semi (2016 ffs) with Lennon on the bench. Ovideo right back.

This summer Lukaku and Stones leave whilst Martinez is halfway through his project that just can't happen in the PL timewise (i.e. you can't fk around like above and expect to keep top players, they want CL exposure and we had the squad to achieve that).

And Leicester doesn't do him (and other average managers) any favours - Ranieri being a manager that identifies a working system, keeps to it, and motivates the players.

5/10

YNWA

2 weeks ago we had just been knocked out of the cup and very poorly beaten by Swansea at home to leave us in the bottom half of the table, falling away from those above us.

Now all of a sudden we've had 3 very solid wins, scoring 9 and conceding none to throw us back up the table and put us through in the cup.

It shows how quickly results/confidence/mood can change. A lot of people wanting Martinez out have been citing the fact that 12/13/14th isn't good enough. Now we're 8th, have they changed their minds? I doubt it...

Is it feeling the North Westerly's? Shivers the thought.

A week's a long time in football.

Three 3-0 results, with a series of winnable games ahead, and the discontented become contented, doubters become believers again, and the believers become even more entrenched in their view that all was well anyway.

Three points against West Brom and a QF berth of the cup in the next few weeks; then they're off for a couple of weeks to rest up and come back ready for the final 3 months of the season.

It's coming together quite nicely.

He's had some absolute brainfarts this season with tactics and selection and keeps on getting handed his arse accordingly by the results. Howard's been repeatedly selected and cost ten points as a min. Kone can't hit a barn door. Osman starting at City in the semi (2016 ffs) with Lennon on the bench. Ovideo right back.

This summer Lukaku and Stones leave whilst Martinez is halfway through his project that just can't happen in the PL timewise (i.e. you can't fk around like above and expect to keep top players, they want CL exposure and we had the squad to achieve that).

And Leicester doesn't do him (and other average managers) any favours - Ranieri being a manager that identifies a working system, keeps to it, and motivates the players.

5/10

YNWA
Martinez needed to swing the axe on sacred cows like Howard, Baines and Stones and go with something more solid. He's done that (belatedly), and this is the result. We are a lot more balanced and calm as a team and we've lost nothing of our firepower.

Many of us said that there was no systemic problem, just a personnel problem. I think we're beginning to see that was spot on.

Martinez needed to swing the axe on sacred cows like Howard, Baines and Stones and go with something more solid. He's done that (belatedly), and this is the result. We are a lot more balanced and calm as a team and we've lost nothing of our firepower.

Many of us said that there was no systemic problem, just a personnel problem. I think we're beginning to see that was spot on.

This will remain true if Martinez has recognised all of the above as benefitting the team. Next few weeks will reveal a lot. If Howard Stones and Baines walk back into the team what does that say about his ability to link the quality of performance to the players he has on the pitch?

This will remain true if Martinez has recognised all of the above as benefitting the team. Next few weeks will reveal a lot. If Howard Stones and Baines walk back into the team what does that say about his ability to link the quality of performance to the players he has on the pitch?
Looking at some of the crap Timmy has pulled over the last 18 months there's not much evidence Bobby has the capacity to form that mental link

If things fall into place,which I believe they will,we'll have a stormer in the league and win the fa cup. Can see it now open top bus driving down queens drive every house blasting out that Jason whatshisname track and roberto doing that dance.

Good lord man. Can you read? The next paragraph, straight after the list of poor results, includes the following words: "Yes we've had some very good ones during that period too, but we need to see the rubbish filtered out if we want to get back into contention for the European spots."

Rather than jumping to conclusions based on your on preconceptions, why not ACTUALLY READ what people write on here? I'm simply saying that Martinez has dropped an unacceptable number of points against less-than-stellar opposition due to his own tactical stubbornness - proved by our league position prior to the wins against Newcastle and Stoke.

For the record, I thought our results against Wolfsburg (both), Lille (both) Krasnodar away and Young Boys (both legs) were great. The 3-0 win against United at Goodison on April 26 2015 was brilliant. We had a run of seven wins from 1st March 2014 to 12th April 2014 which I thought was outstanding. The 3-0 win away at Southampton on August 15 2015 was delicious, as was the 3-1 win over Chelsea a month later. The first leg of the LC semi final against City was very good, as was the draw against the same opponents in the league, and the most recent run of three wins Martinez has put together brings some hope.

I'm genuinely surprised you need to have any of these great results pointed out to you, but happy to help you all the same.

Put all the negatives in detailed format, year,result,ground

But then put all the positives in the small print

I guess it works for you...

Also in some of your negatives there are results that any of the top teams could of piled up during a 3 year period, so you appear to me to be another Person who has the grandeur and self entitlement that we are better than the rest.

No need for help, just need balanced discussion - which you have in your response...to be fair

Except Martinez didn't swing the axe. His hand was forced by injuries. Don't try to give him credit for dropping stones and howard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back