Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obvious negatives and positives to Martinez but it definitely reads like an agenda when people ignore poor luck, poor referee decisions and the fact that this side which everyone seems to agree has massive potential was largely brought together and given confidence by the manager you are berating.
People even seem to be accusing him of sticking too long with Stones, and yet just a few games ago he was the Messiah and Mori was dodgy.
There isn't a manager on earth that isn't balancing negatives with positives. I've been firmly on the fence most of Martinez time here, but now think it would be a huge mistake to disrupt what's going on.
I've no idea why Howard has been first choice, not just in recent months but going right back to Moyes time. I have no idea why we hadn't made any effort to cover a huge gap in experience in central defence, but the problem did seem to be becoming obvious during Moyes reign.
It's possible that we were just caught in a transition between DM philosophy of bringing in experienced players when needed, often gambling on bargains and RM determination to bring through younger players to gradually grow into the side and replace older players. It's left a gap and left young players exposed but in the long term may be much more beneficial.
Just a theory that he has felt we couldn't put too much pressure too soon on a young back four but didn't want to bring in experienced cover who may block their progress, but it's as valid as claiming he is blind to flaws of certain players.

Except Martinez didn't swing the axe. His hand was forced by injuries. Don't try to give him credit for dropping stones and howard.
I wholeheartedly believe TH was dropped mate, and the "injury" is a soft landing to save face for a guy that's been with the club for so long. After a few games he will come back as no. 2

I hope the injury is a long term one, until the end of the season would suit me

If Oviedo, Robles and Funes Mori stay fit and perform to their own standards for the rest of the season we'll do very nicely in the remaining 13 games.

If Howard, Baines and Stones (or any combination of them) are brought back in again we'll be vulnerable and back to the hit and miss form.

If Oviedo, Robles and Funes Mori stay fit and perform to their own standards for the rest of the season we'll do very nicely in the remaining 13 games.

If Howard, Baines and Stones (or any combination of them) are brought back in again we'll be vulnerable and back to the hit and miss form.
I am more than happy to write Howard off, no problems in that space
In Baines I still feel he has a lot to offer but Oviedo has once again stepped up and is doing a great job
Stones I believe is still an outstanding talent and will go on to bigger and better than us. I think taking him out of the firing line is a great decision and will help him as a player. The question will be if Stones comes back has he learnt anything from sitting and watching how our two CB perform as a solid and no nonsense pairing.
I still believe Stones has an important part to play this season

I am more than happy to write Howard off, no problems in that space
In Baines I still feel he has a lot to offer but Oviedo has once again stepped up and is doing a great job
Stones I believe is still an outstanding talent and will go on to bigger and better than us. I think taking him out of the firing line is a great decision and will help him as a player. The question will be if Stones comes back has he learnt anything from sitting and watching how our two CB perform as a solid and no nonsense pairing.
I still believe Stones has an important part to play this season
I can see Oviedo missing out some games due to injury in the run in as he's never been free of injury for long. If at that point Baines comes in then he'll be under scrutiny and hopefully will rise to the occasion. I'm doubtful about him, tbh. I just dont think he's what we need anymore. We as a squad have a lot of firepower going forward and dont really require the FBs to be joining in with attacks as much as we once did in another era when our forward play options was limited. Imo, we need a flatter back four.

I dont see Howard or Stones getting much game time from now until the end of the season. Mori hasn't been just impressive in Stones' absence these past few games, he's been a better performer than Stones for a while. He gives us more aggression in both boxes.

I'd be disappointed to see either Stones or Baines back in the team any time soon.

I can see Oviedo missing out some games due to injury in the run in as he's never been free of injury for long. If at that point Baines comes in then he'll be under scrutiny and hopefully will rise to the occasion. I'm doubtful about him, tbh. I just dont think he's what we need anymore. We as a squad have a lot of firepower going forward and dont really require the FBs to be joining in with attacks as much as we once did in another era when our forward play options was limited. Imo, we need a flatter back four.

I dont see Howard or Stones getting much game time from now until the end of the season. Mori hasn't been just impressive in Stones' absence these past few games, he's been a better performer than Stones for a while. He gives us more aggression in both boxes.

I'd be disappointed to see either Stones or Baines back in the team any time soon.
No arguments from me

Rodgers had them crap for 12 months and was sacked.
I think if you ask most Stoke fans they would say they've improved under Hughes and he's attracted a better quality of player.

It's ok to just sometimes admit we've been absolute dog shyt for 18 months and under performed.

The thing about Leicester as well, maybe they will fall away, maybe they won't challenge again this season but in the here and now they have as good a chance as anyone of winning the title and every other club below them should take a long hard look at themselves and say "you know what, with a bit of hard work, team effort and good player/man management, that could have been us".

And Brendan spent upwards of £250M that they gave him to spunk.
Read again what I said about Leicester....they deserve everything they get and more for the way they have accumulated points this season and the last ten games of last season.
It's Ok to sometimes accept we're a very decent team in the making....and that Martinez has attracted a better calibre of player.

And Brendan spent upwards of £250M that they gave him to spunk.
Read again what I said about Leicester....they deserve everything they get and more for the way they have accumulated points this season and the last ten games of last season.
It's Ok to sometimes accept we're a very decent team in the making....and that Martinez has attracted a better calibre of player.

Definitely agree Martinez attracts a better calibre of player and I certainly do accept that there is a quality team trying to get out. Just not sure if he's the man I trust with all the great tools at his disposal.

Keep performing like yesterday though and I will have no complaints as more balanced performances and team line ups = wins.

Really mate - injuries I don't think so.

I love how you are all convinced there is no injury based on absolutely no evidence

Why didn't he say baines was injured too?

He's been dropped.

How will he feel if Martinez is protecting Tim and stones but not him

Del can't get near the pitch suddenly either. Why doesn't he get to be injured

Ridiculous theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back