Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first half performancs in both this game and Norwich away, have shown what a good football side we are. If only we could turn all that possession into goals, we could really be onto something then.

We all know we're so close to something mate. The only problem is keeping the players long enough to be able to do that.

We've won one out of the last five games. I'm saying bottom three because that is where they are. They finished dangerously above them places last season too.

Martinez finished 11th last season and we currently sit 9th this season.

It isn't good enough.

We've only won 1 from 5, but unlike last season we're creating chances and looking like we can win games and we should have won some of the games we've drawn.

They're bottom 3, but had got 7 points from their last 9 before yesterday so were on a little run of form. We played well, created chances and kept a clean sheet.

You can only beat what's put in front of you and we did.

But you're not even happy about winning. You understand the definition of the word "supporter" right?
Of course I'm happy about winning.

I'm concerned this manager will not reach the level that this squad is capable of.

You have no right to be questioning my credentials as a supporter because I don't like the manager.

"We worked really hard in the last six transfer windows to assemble a very strong squad with a real determination to bring in young players with world-class talent and that's what we've done.

You better tell that to the fella you're defending then.

There's nothing about that statement that is untrue.

Of course I'm happy about winning.

I'm concerned this manager will not reach the level that this squad is capable of.

You have no right to be questioning my credentials as a supporter because I don't like the manager.

tumblr_inline_nhe3djhgWc1rsrnhe.gif

We've won one out of the last five games. I'm saying bottom three because that is where they are. They finished dangerously above them places last season too.

Martinez finished 11th last season and we currently sit 9th this season.

It isn't good enough.

6 points from 4th though, I don't recall where they were this time last season, but think they weren't in that position.
Hey,the points dropped over the last few games have been really annoying,all of them could have been won,(Leicester perhaps not ),but it's a fairly young side,think RM is probably too loyal to his goalkeeper,but there are real signs of a very good football team developing here,Norwich first half was quite brilliant to watch,earlier in the thread I stated if we stick with this management team it will deliver.

Then we should be higher than 9th.

He's not wrong. You look at teams like Leicester/Palace/Watford all massively over achieving with the squads they have. Their managers clearly know how to get the best out of the limitations they work within. You can argue it's a freak of nature, but then again you look at Leicester's end to last season or to Palace finishing above us.

I honestly think that Martinez has put together a quality set of players, so he deserves massive credit in that respect. I just don't feel he knows quite what to do with the squad. You can see improvements, but more worryingly you can till see a host of issues we have carried over from last season.

The football has improved I won't deny it, but it's no good if you cannot turn the performances into victories. Prior to being jumped over I'm not referencing yesterday. I'm referencing the five games prior, that we should have yielded greater point total from.

He's not wrong. You look at teams like Leicester/Palace/Watford all massively over achieving with the squads they have. Their managers clearly know how to get the best out of the limitations they work within. You can argue it's a freak of nature, but then again you look at Leicester's end to last season or to Palace finishing above us.

I honestly think that Martinez has put together a quality set of players, so he deserves massive credit in that respect. I just don't feel he knows quite what to do with the squad. You can see improvements, but more worryingly you can till see a host of issues we have carried over from last season.

The football has improved I won't deny it, but it's no good if you cannot turn the performances into victories. Prior to being jumped over I'm not referencing yesterday. I'm referencing the five games prior, that we should have yielded greater point total from.

We're only half way through the season as we can finish ahead of all of these teams. There's no need to have a panic about our league position at Christmas, we have points on the board and are well in the mix to finish in the European places.

We are playing some lovely stuff and have been for a month now but we are not finishing teams off in the final third. I hope it clicks because you look at the squad and it is the best we have had in a long time, we have exciting young players, are playing great football and at present are a joy to watch but I'm still on edge watching us, we are so frustrating. It would be a shame if it comes to nothing in the next few seasons, the potential is there to do something special.

Next 2 fixtures are massive for us. 2 teams in good form in Stoke and Spurs but both at home. If we want to be challenging for 6th and above we need 2 wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back