Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leicester's results have been better than expected, while ours have been worse than expected.

But it won't take very much to turn the tables - and we may have seen the first signs yesterday.

I'm still confused about how we were "lucky" hope someone can explain it

We scored with the last kick of the game from a poor punch out from a 'keeper and a speculative header, shortly after Mitrovic should have scored with an absolute sitter and we as a side looked gassed for a good half an hour.

We deserved the win on the balance of the game (indeed we should have won about 5-2 overall), but the manner of it in the end was simply lucky. We were due some luck; what I don't understand is how people don't think an element of luck was involved!

Nobody is upset we won obviously... that is a ridiculous statement.

All people are saying is that the problems that have made us not pick up wins lately were evident yesterday too, and it was only a large blob of good fortune for a change that changed that.

We still don't defend properly, and a better side on another day would have picked up two easy goals yesterday. It's completely legit to highlight that as a problem going forward.

Martinez says lessons have been learnt - I'm not too convinced. Hopefully, the last minute winner will instil a bit of winners belief into the squad and we'll start converting dominance into goals and have a bit more comfort at the back, but we'll have to wait and see. All I will say is that yesterday's win was neither a vindication or comdemnation of Martinez; it was the status quo. If that last minute winner hadn't have gone in, the people kicking Martinez would have been just as unjustified as those gloating about it now.

We need a run of consistent form, and quickly.
I agree we still look a bit nervous at the back, tbh only a run of clean sheets is likely to instill a bit of confidence (both in the players and fans) on that front.

But not quite sure where the "large blob of good fortune" comes into it, we could very easily have had a penalty and Newcastle down at least one man by half time in addition to their goalkeeper having an unusually good game.

We scored with the last kick of the game from a poor punch out from a 'keeper and a speculative header, shortly after Mitrovic should have scored with an absolute sitter and we as a side looked gassed for a good half an hour.

We deserved the win on the balance of the game (indeed we should have won about 5-2 overall), but the manner of it in the end was simply lucky. We were due some luck; what I don't understand is how people don't think an element of luck was involved!

Don't be so silly.

So being tje better side with the most chances, denied a blatant penalty, a nailed on red card for them, and playing until the final whistle is lucky?
So when we win in games like that we are lucky when we drop points in the same circumstances Roberto is a knob, OK

what I don't understand is how people don't think an element of luck was involved!

Cant think of any game where an element of luck, good or bad, isnt involved at some point.

I think the point is more that we deserved to win that game. We did not win it down to some fluke, like, for example, when Newcastle fluked a win at Bournemouth after being battered for 90 minutes.

Did you say that we were unlucky against Bournemouth then mate? Genuine question, just asking,

So scoring a header with the last touch is luck

Nothing lucky about Toms finish though. Anyone who appreciates a damn good header I urge to watch it about 38 times and truly appreciate the precision our Toms bonce directs the ball from about 15 yards into the top corner. Boss goal, been a while since I can remember us scoring a past minute winner and after 93 minutes of sheer fume that we hadn't win the game it was a welcome relief.

I agree we still look a bit nervous at the back, tbh only a run of clean sheets is likely to instill a bit of confidence (both in the players and fans) on that front.

But not quite sure where the "large blob of good fortune" comes into it, we could very easily have had a penalty and Newcastle down at least one man by half time in addition to their goalkeeper having an unusually good game.

It appears we were "lucky" because we scored in the last minute and that they missed a sitter somewhere along the way.

Of course, when Bournemouth denied us victory with the last kick of the game and we missed a whole hatful of sitters against Palace and Norwich that wasn't down to us being "unlucky".......no ma'am......that was down to the incompetence of the manager :whip:

Go figger :)

And may I take this opportunity to wish a Happy New Year to you and yours, Links ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back