Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was no luck about it. We practice set-pieces all the time and Martinez gave Cleverly the exact Global Co-ordinatinates to stand at having statistically analysed where the keeper would punch it :Blink:

Hi mate you not posting shows your negative attitude towards the manager
A simple well done to the team and RM would of put you in a more positive light.
You saying nothing speaks volumes
Come on now, no one on here gives two ***** with what I DO post on here, never mind what I don't say.

I do hope you ask the opposite of other posters when we lose, or is it a 1-way street Martinez gets praised for victories and sine bugger else get criticised when we lose?

There was no luck about it. We practice set-pieces all the time and Martinez gave Cleverly the exact Global Co-ordinatinates to stand at having statistically analysed where the keeper would punch it :Blink:

Hahaha indeed...

People seem to be equating luck about the goal to Everton being lucky to win overall - that's not my point at all, as I've already said we should have won comfortably. But we're not turning dominance into goals, so instead of winning as a result of that dominance, in the end we picked up three points largely due to a lucky circumstance.

When Bournemouth scored their equaliser people on here quite rightly blew a fuse at not seeing the game out, for losing concentration and for switching off. Surely we should be chuffed that we kept going right to the end, kept our heads and made the most of the last chance that came our way with a very good header. Why is it lucky?

Having sat and watched us yesterday, we then watched the Arsenal game, and it was an interesting direct comparison.

I know Arsenal had a bad day and the result was a shocker, but, before Soton took the lead I was watching the style of play and quality of the football. 5 years ago it would have been unthinkable for Everton to play a better style of football than the silky Gooners, but now, we're just as good to watch, and arguably better. Our passing and movement is a world away from the way we played a few short years ago, and that's testament to what Martinez has achieved at Goodison.

Ok we're still not the finished article, defensively we need to improve and there's the keepers slot to sort, but we're not far off lads. We could be on the cusp of something special with this side, it's close imo.

Nobody is upset we won obviously... that is a ridiculous statement.

All people are saying is that the problems that have made us not pick up wins lately were evident yesterday too, and it was only a large blob of good fortune for a change that changed that.

We still don't defend properly, and a better side on another day would have picked up two easy goals yesterday. It's completely legit to highlight that as a problem going forward.

Martinez says lessons have been learnt - I'm not too convinced. Hopefully, the last minute winner will instil a bit of winners belief into the squad and we'll start converting dominance into goals and have a bit more comfort at the back, but we'll have to wait and see. All I will say is that yesterday's win was neither a vindication or comdemnation of Martinez; it was the status quo. If that last minute winner hadn't have gone in, the people kicking Martinez would have been just as unjustified as those gloating about it now.

We need a run of consistent form, and quickly.
To be fair Tubey we are battering every team we come up against but we are so wasteful in front of goal...... we create chance after chance after chance but don't convert our possession and dominance into goals. As good as Lukaku has been this season, and he has been very good, he misses an absurd amount of chances at times. Is this a failing on the manager ?? possibly, he could maybe have signed a decent backup to give us options, but I honestly lay a lot of the blame squarely at the feet of the players.

When Bournemouth scored their equaliser people on here quite rightly blew a fuse at not seeing the game out, for losing concentration and for switching off. Surely we should be chuffed that we kept going right to the end, kept our heads and made the most of the last chance that came our way with a very good header. Why is it lucky?

Because 99 times out of 100 that punch goes flying away, and not directly on the bonce of Cleverley, and 99 times out of 100 that header loops over or wide or is cleared easily.

It was luck - deserved luck, but luck all the same. It's a good thing to get a bit of luck sometimes.

Against Bournemouth, it wasn't bad luck - we switched off and gifted them the goal. Newcastle didn't gift us that goal yesterday, it was just odd circumstances that made it nestle in the back of the net.

Who cares, three points gained, but for me we need to turn dominance into goals so we don't need to rely on such luck.

We scored with the last kick of the game from a poor punch out from a 'keeper and a speculative header, shortly after Mitrovic should have scored with an absolute sitter and we as a side looked gassed for a good half an hour.

Poor goalkeeping, poor header from Mitrovic, good header from Cleverly. How is luck involved? It's just good play on our part, poor on theirs.

If we'd played the majority of the 90 like we did for the first 30, then we'd have been unlucky to draw.

We didn't. Skunks came back into the game gradually, and they had their chances.

Overall, we deserved the three points. The timing of how they came about suggests we were lucky to get them. That header doesn't go in, and there's more people who are now saying we deserved the points, who'd be saying something different.

I'm still not convinced, though. Just another relegation threatened team beaten. Meh.

Next up it's a team that (like us) blow hot & cold. A bit more of a yardstick than them skunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back