Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say we are massively under-achieving. We have improved a great deal from the Moyes era. We are consistently playing very well. Still some issues, yes, but if we follow this pattern then we'll start to consistently win.

Changing a manager who has made good signings, the players like, and has us heading in the right direction: would not be healthy IMO.

Every manager has a great deal of pressure to get results. They don't need to be sacked every 18 months to prove it.

Seems to be where I sit in Goodison, mate. It also seems to be a big talking point in the pub after the match too.

A manager that has produced bang average form for the past 18 months is bound to come under criticism for a team that, for the best part of a decade, hadn't finished outside the Top 8 and were regularly in the Top 6.

Criticising him and calling for him to be sacked are very different things

We have never been out of the Premier League and can thus attract a higher quality of player than the two mentioned.

Man city and Chelsea say hi

Can you tell me why they wouldn't make good candidates?

They could be considered candidates, but would they take us above and beyond where we are now? You have to take into consideration that they will want to offload some of our current players and bring in new ones for their preferred squad, making the argument of 'they could do better with our current squad' defunct.

Not having a go mate, just picking up on what I disagree with

Problem has been the draws, think we have the most in the league, with a bit of luck and a competent keeper most of them shouldve been wins, but at least we're not losing.
Still only 2 teams have lost less and only 2 teams have scored more. There's been very few occasions were we've not been the best side on the pitch. We've played some utterly brilliant football at times, 6 points off 4th, in a semi Final.

Yeah lets get rid off bobby before someone snaps up Gary Monk

BAWK

Whether we're pro or anti Martinez, or merely speculating for the fun of it, it's all academic. There ain't no way he's getting the sack barring a catastrophe.

I was impressed by the stance he took over Stones in the summer - would another manager have just stood aside? I'm pretty sure Moyes would have let him go.
Not 100% fair to speculate on Moyes (who dragged us from nothing to respected Sky 4 contenders we are today). But cracking point re: Stones. Also Rom, Del, Barry, McCarthy and _MAYBE_ Cleverley (I' having to eat my hat on that last one) all good signings. So yes need to Stick with Martinez!

Putting this thread in a positive light, who would be the backroom staff we'd bring in to help tighten defence and a bit more clinicism up front?

Problem has been the draws, think we have the most in the league, with a bit of luck and a competent keeper most of them shouldve been wins, but at least we're not losing.
Still only 2 teams have lost less and only 2 teams have scored more. There's been very few occasions were we've not been the best side on the pitch. We've played some utterly brilliant football at times, 6 points off 4th, in a semi Final.

Yeah lets get rid off bobby before someone snaps up Gary Monk

BAWK

BRILLIANT POST!

Mark Hughes, Watford's manager, Koeman.

Three managers who I believe could utilise this squad better than Martinez.

I think Hughes is a pretty good manager, but I don't think he's any better than Martinez, just different, and I wouldn't want him here for fairly obvious reasons. Jury's out on Koeman, but I don't think he's an obvious step up from Hughes.

Flores is an interesting shout, but apart from this season, he's not impressed since his time at Athletico, so I'm not convinced he'd be any better either.

I think Hughes is a pretty good manager, but I don't think he's any better than Martinez, just different, and I wouldn't want him here for fairly obvious reasons. Jury's out on Koeman, but I don't think he's an obvious step up from Hughes.

Flores is an interesting shout, but apart from this season, he's not impressed since his time at Athletico, so I'm not convinced he'd be any better either.

Aye, and that's the thing. All the options available to us would be lateral appointments who would be just as mercurial from season to season. I think this year is a sign of things to come, the likes of Palace, Watford and, particularly, Stoke will be real competitors in the future and we just have to get used to it. The job has gotten a lot harder in the last 2 years, but we have to take our potential and performances into real consideration, think of the long term, and not focus solely on results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back