Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Results are important in stamping the performances a success...but then again how do you define 'results'?

A result can be argued quite legitimately be viewed as a game where you either win or are not beaten in. If that's the criteria then we've played 28 matches and lost just 5. In other words, we've scored a result in 82% of our games.

You could go a season unbeaten and be relegated with 38 points. The facts are at present we're going backwards under him.

I hope he's got enough about him to turn It around.

I'm gonna come across as all RAWKish now with this analogy, but NEA.

If this was a game of snakes n ladders, at this moment we'd be on about square 45 (Out of 100) given our league position. The next few games, (but especially the 2nd leg) are gonna see us go up a medium-sized ladder to around square 60, or down a fairly long snake to about square 20.
Yes, but I don't think our progress can be defined by what happens on Wednesday. It could go either way without surprising anyone.
But if we can't start winning games like this one today and similar matches that we've failed to win lately with the squad we've got, something needs to be done.

Another match day

Another day when a group of so called Evertonians have a small part of them wanting a draw or defeat
Whatever the line up announced they will find fault
During the game they will post their dismay at how the game is going
Even a win they will find any small fault to criticise the manager

On the other side of the coin we have a very large group of Evertonians that will be going the game with positve thoughts and the knowledge that we will try to play good football and go for the win.

I always though going the match was something that you looked forward to...
I guess for some that has been forgotten...

I don't think that Evertonians want us to lose/draw. But I think there are some, and I stress some who can't wait to jump down a players throat or look for something to criticise the manager.

Yet another sell out shows there are ever increasing numbers of Evertonians that are going to the game. If they were not happy they wouldn't be turning up in the number we are. That is the biggest indication that there is a positive attitude to this team and the manager.

In the context of league placings, why are you saying 28 games? We've only played 22 league games as of right now.

And why are you trying to redefine the generally accepted definition of a result (One where there's a positive outcome, i.e. a win) ?
The generally accepted definition of a result is a draw or a win actually, colloquially referring to a positive result where we attain a point at least.

I don't think that Evertonians want us to lose/draw. But I think there are some, and I stress some who can't wait to jump down a players throat or look for something to criticise the manager.

Yet another sell out shows there are ever increasing numbers of Evertonians that are going to the game. If they were not happy they wouldn't be turning up in the number we are. That is the biggest indication that there is a positive attitude to this team and the manager.

Dead true.

I love what Martinez is trying to do and I'll support him. You can see the improvements in our performances and how a lot of our players are improving individually. It's only a matter of time before it translates in to good league form.

Agree that he should be dropped for Joel, meant more insofar as finding a quality keeper to bring in as a replacement. There may not be suitable players available this window.

Yeah fair point. Joel deserves the game time Imo as he's done well when called.

The generally accepted definition of a result is a draw or a win actually, colloquially referring to a positive result where we attain a point at least.

I was going to say 'colloquially' as well.

On a point of pedantry a result is an outcome - which could also define a loss.

I think there are sadly some who would happily trade a few more defeats if it meant that the manager was gone as a result.
Unfortunately

You could go a season unbeaten and be relegated with 38 points. The facts are at present we're going backwards under him.

I hope he's got enough about him to turn It around.
We have more points than this time last year and were in the semi of a cup, weve scored more goals than last season, how are we going backwards?

In the context of league placings, why are you saying 28 games? We've only played 22 league games as of right now.

And why are you trying to redefine the generally accepted definition of a result (One where there's a positive outcome, i.e. a win) ?
Because we play in a number of competitions in a season. Standard measurement.

"Result": again standard measurement. People always say, dont they, that if a team "gets any result at all, they'll do well" etc.

Any result means both win or draw.

There's nothing being smuggled in here.

A result is a result is a result. And we have 23 of them out of 28 games so far this season.

I was going to say colloquially as well.

On a point of pedantry a result is an outcome - which could also define a loss.
haha which was the point I was tempted to make as well but didn't want to pick straw from the hay.
Ultimately "results" aren't just what we need though. We need wins and the points on the board that they provide.

"Result": again standard measurement. People always say, dont they, that if a team "gets any result at all, they'll do well" etc.

A result is a result is a result. And we have 23 of them out of 28 games so far this season.
But we could get a result in every game and still potentially be relegated.
We don't need "results", we need to win and put points on the board.

We don't get points for cup games though, so for you to use them when arguing about league placings is both invalid and irrelevant.

Dead true.

I love what Martinez is trying to do and I'll support him. You can see the improvements in our performances and how a lot of our players are improving individually. It's only a matter of time before it translates in to good league form.

I've finished work now and am going the pub to watch the game and am really looking forward to it. Wednesday's semi final second leg at City can't come quick enough. Booked a hotel as soon as the semi final draw was made, trains booked and could only manage to get a ticket in their end, but I'm not missing that game. Anyway, off to the pub.

COYB.

We don't get points for cup games though, so for you to use them when arguing about league placings is both invalid and irrelevant.
agree that there is no direct bearing that they have, but they are a useful indicator for performances, form and also our ability to beat teams (i.e. Man City)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back