Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You haven't watched united this season much then i take it
Not a huge amount, but I know them enough to never write them off. I know it is a very different club to the one under Ferguson, but they still have the ability to go on a good run, and if they start one, they have an aura that teams still fear.

Not a huge amount, but I know them enough to never write them off. I know it is a very different club to the one under Ferguson, but they still have the ability to go on a good run, and if they start one, they have an aura that teams still fear.

mate trust me united arent capable of any sort of run now, they have a manager whose a dead man walking and a home atmosphere that makes goodison look a picnic in comparison, as for there aura, no they don't - teams that go 8 match runs without a win, including losses to Norwich, Bournemouth and getting dumped out an easy CL group in that run dont have any aura mate

Best season in terms of silverware. yes.

However, if we did win it - and there is another 2 games left to lift up the cup, it would only paper over what is a fundamental problem in the team, sorry, management of the team.

If you aren't smart enough to fix your inadequacies as a manager in 9 years, then you never will - and i think we all can safely say Martinez isn't in a rush to fix the issues.

But it will be "phenomenal" to win the cup - we need silverware, but its a plaster over the main issues.

Martinez's job is to win us trophies. If he doesn't, then he'll have failed here like bingham, lee, harvey, moyes, smith and many others have failed here.

If he does then he's succeeded.

It's not a plaster over the main issues, it's the actual goal of every manager.

Now I don't think he will, because the hard bit is very much still to do and we don't really look good enough to do it. But if it doesn't change your opinion on the manager if we were to do it then you're too blinkered in your views.

A red just pointed this out to be.

Since September we have only won 3 games in the league. They all happen to be the bottom 3. so since we beat west brom we have literally not been able to beat anyone except the three worst teams in the league, and even one of them was lucky.

the more you look at it the worse it gets. But a cup proves he is worth another year yeah?

Stop looking at it then.

mate trust me united arent capable of any sort of run now, they have a manager whose a dead man walking and a home atmosphere that makes goodison look a picnic in comparison, as for there aura, no they don't - teams that go 8 match runs without a win, including losses to Norwich, Bournemouth and getting dumped out an easy CL group in that run dont have any aura mate
I hope you're right. It would be a refreshing change to see a new face at the top table.

Martinez's job is to win us trophies. If he doesn't, then he'll have failed here like bingham, lee, harvey, moyes, smith and many others have failed here.

If he does then he's succeeded.

It's not a plaster over the main issues, it's the actual goal of every manager.

Now I don't think he will, because the hard bit is very much still to do and we don't really look good enough to do it. But if it doesn't change your opinion on the manager if we were to do it then you're too blinkered in your views.

If we won the League Cup and went down that'd be a success then?

Way too simplistic that.

If we won the LC and finished outside the top half of the table again, it's take the gloss off the win and do nothing in terms of our League revenues and our ability to attract new names in the summer - when we will virtually inevitably lose 2 of our star names.

Success in the LC wouldn't gloss over the failure in the league, it's be a great day out and another chapter in our history, but it wouldn't propel us further forwards as a club - and that's the prime objective of the manager - to take what he finds and improve it. Winning the league cup and finishing bottom half again would be 1 step forwards and 2 back.

I do think that if we get knocked out of both cups and if we don't improve massively in the league, you would have to seriously consider sacking him this summer. He has the next 4 months to show that he's worth keeping, would be my view on it. Winning a trophy would do that, going on a proper run of wins in the league to get us to a respectable finish would probably also do that but continue playing like we currently are and it's hard to justify keeping him.

I do think that if we get knocked out of both cups and if we don't improve massively in the league, you would have to seriously consider sacking him this summer. He has the next 4 months to show that he's worth keeping, would be my view on it. Winning a trophy would do that, going on a proper run of wins in the league to get us to a respectable finish would probably also do that but continue playing like we currently are and it's hard to justify keeping him.

We're only 3 points better of than last season with a better squad by far. Martinez can't cut it simple as that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back