Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

What happens if we get a new manager, dunno who, but someone we all like (impossible probs) and we are still a bit crap and we've all been vastly over rating our players?

Just a what if?

If that happens you'll be banned for upsetting the delicate karma of the situation.

It's not likely to happen soon though so you'll still have chance to do the preview for Wednesday.

More seriously, a new manager would only make a long term difference if they were an obvious step up in quality than Martinez.

What happens if we get a new manager, dunno who, but someone we all like (impossible probs) and we are still a bit crap and we've all been vastly over rating our players?

Just a what if?
At least we'll know. Overachieving with moderate players is preferable to underachieving with skilful but flaky players IMO.

Just a what if?

sacking managers seems to have worked for spurs and no-one else really, except the mega money clubs...

I usually just lurk on here and enjoy reading other people's opinions. I have tried to remain balanced in my own views but I now beleive that Martinez should go. There is clearly some fundamental problems with the team and he has proven himself unable to solve them.

I'm shocked that some people are still desperate to defend him, its odd to be honest. I suspect some people have backed themselves into a corner on the issue and don't want to be seen to be wrong.

Saw a tweet that hit me with the reality of the situation.

It was a Liverpool fan who wrote it, but I thought it was a good tweet non the less.

He said;

How is the worse Liverpool team he has ever seen 5 points clear of the best Everton team he has ever seen.

He was referring to calibre of player.

We are in a mess.

To Martinez' credit.... he clearly is a nice man, he represents the club well, he understands the stature of the club and won't let the media forget it, he has done well in not only building the squad but also keeping players that in years gone by would have been allowed to leave.

But for all those positives winning only 18 times in 19 months, only 4 of the 17 teams who competed in all 38 games last season and 23 this having accumulated less points than us. He's had one good season relative to the expectancy on him in 6 1/2 years as a PL manager.

He may one day make a good manager, but I'm not overly happy with Everton being his Guiuea pig. He relegated Wigan because he stuck to his flawed philosophy and Everton WILL stay up this season despite having him as manager, not because of him. Suarez almost single handedly won the league for the RS....Lukaku's goals are keeping us out of the relegation zone.

Lukaku himself has been flogged by Martinez this season, he's barely missed a minute, we may yet pay for this in the next few months.

I'm shocked that some people are still desperate to defend him, its odd to be honest. I suspect some people have backed themselves into a corner on the issue and don't want to be seen to be wrong.

The thing is, changing a manager is a gamble, and it's something people would rather not do.

It is so much easier if martinez can come good than if we have to bring in a new manager who's going to want to change the squad, etc.

So I think to a certain extent it's wishful thinking. It'd be so much better for the club if Martinez can recapture the form his team showed 18 months ago so we're seeing signs of that when they aren't there.

I think we will eventually have to admit that isn't going to happen but as long as there's still signs it might (and I for one can still see those signs), I don't think it's surprising that people are preaching patience rather than change.

The thing is, changing a manegr is a gamble, and it's something people would rather not do.

It is so much easier if martinez can come good than if we have to bring in a new manager who's going to want to change the squad,e tc.

So I think to a certain extent it's wishful thinking. It'd be so much better for the club if Martinez can recapture the form his team showed 18 months ago so we're seeing signs of that when they aren't there.

I think we will eventually have to admit that isn't going to happen but as long as there's still signs it might (and I for one can still see those signs), I don't think it's surprising that people are preaching patience rather than change.

Really hope you're right as he has done alot of good work and signed some great players. I know its not as simple as we all think it is. I agree that a change of manager does not gurantee that things will improve and that falling into the trap of changing managers every 18 months would be a disaster for us.

Cup or bust for me

If we win a trophy this season I'll give Martinez a pass until 16/17. If we don't win a cup I think that we should start looking who is available to replace him.

I love the man as well, but his philosophy is flawed in the prem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back